PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Celtic people are disappearing.. - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Celtic people are disappearing..

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,473
    Given: 28,937

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Yikes. Or how globalism destroys cultures. I'm still saying culture, because I'm not fully sold on your idea Irish culture hasn't changed considerably by switching language.
    I just wanted to clarify Danielion that I said that Irish identity is distinctive I never mentioned culture. Just that it is a distinctive identity. All culture has changed especially in this era. My point was that language is not intrinsic to Irish identify as the Irish have been majority English speakers for quite a few generations but they still have a recognised identity. I still want the Irish language to survive though but I'm realistic enough to know that it is never going to replace the use of English in Ireland. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

Yes we live in a globalised world now and a lot of uniqueness is lost.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,959
    Given: 11,670

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I just wanted to clarify Danielion that I said that Irish identity is distinctive I never mentioned culture. Just that it is a distinctive identity. All culture has changed especially in this era. My point was that language is not intrinsic to Irish identify as the Irish have been majority English speakers for quite a few generations but they still have a recognised identity. I still want the Irish language to survive though but I'm realistic enough to know that it is never going to replace the use of English in Ireland. That ship has sailed a long time ago.
    True. Only way it would've been possible was if Irish diaspora all spoke different languages and were to settle new land together, as was the case with Israelis and Hebrew.
    I also wish to correct myself. I know Irish are distinctly Irish today. Your accent is even distinct from that of other Anglophones.

What I forgot to mention that part of modern Ireland and its culture is respect for its roots, and that is having Gaelic as a mandatory course in school so children/teens get familiarised with it. In my opinion that shouldn't get removed for non-Irish settling on Ireland as people should learn the ways of the land they decide to move to.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,473
    Given: 28,937

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    True. Only way it would've been possible was if Irish diaspora all spoke different languages and were to settle new land together, as was the case with Israelis and Hebrew.
    It is interesting that places like Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in Canada have retained a distinctive identity from the rest of Canada and even sound Irish.

This woman sounds like she is from Kilkenny.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 10:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Siyendi View Post
    Except handful Bretons in France and Welsh in England they are in process of extinction.

Since the Queen of Britain told she is Kelt/Celt back in time to avoid drawing in German NS propaganda (because in fact Anglo Saxons also Germanics) being Celtic became desired thing which even Iberians claim today but reality they are sadly disappearing. Celts soon will only be in souvenirs of Julius Caesar when he explains how he defeated them 2k years ago.In fact people say Germans were barbarians but if Germanics arent same situation it's partly because they defeated and expelled Romans (Teutoburg Forest, Alaric etc).
    You mean celtic language is disappearing, not celtic people.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information