Thread: What you must find out in a Job Interview (and what you must conceal)

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Default What you must find out in a Job Interview (and what you must conceal)

What You Must Find Out in a Job Interview and What You Must Conceal
    Gary North - June 24, 2017

The first thing you need before the interview is a copy of the company's mission statement. Get it before you walk into the interview.

First, you want to know if you agree with it. Second, you want to know if it is plausible.

When asking questions about the company, refer back to this document. Let it guide your line of questioning. You are just trying to find out how things really work. This frame of reference will reduce the interviewer's fears that you are a potential troublemaker.

The company that is interviewing you wants to find out whether you will be worth your starting salary. It doesn't want to make a mistake.

Remember, low-level managers are like bureaucrats in the government. Their number-one goal in life is not to make a mistake that will get them fired. They want to be in low-risk positions. That's why they are low-level managers. Anybody who is a risk-taker has already moved up in the chain of command.

The interviewer is a low-level employee. Nobody wants to be in his position. It is a dead-end position. Anyone so unfortunate as to be assigned this task is being told that he probably has no significant future in the company. He is not going to be elevated into a senior management position. He is also not going to be paid much money.

Always keep this in mind when you deal with the interviewer. He may be resentful about his obvious dead-end career. Maybe not, but you should assume that he is. I know I would be.

You want a job offer out of the interview. This should be obvious. You have to conceal certain things if you want to get an offer. One thing you have to conceal is your independence. If you have the ability to make a living outside the company, you are a threat to the time-servers in the company. They want obedient people. They don't want innovators. They don't want geniuses who will make them look bad. They surely do not want independent people who have the ability to walk away from the job.

You have to present yourself as a team player. If you do this, you will be in a position to ask the questions that really matter from your point of view. You want to know something about the team that is thinking about hiring you. You want to convince the person doing the interview that you will fit in. If you sense that you cannot fit in, you would be wise to turn down the offer politely after the offer is made. You want to find out if you are suitable for getting an offer. The more offers you get, the better your options are for picking a company in which you will be able to survive mentally.

The more that the interviewer thinks you are asking questions about the company so that you will be sure that you fit in, the more he is likely to reveal to you about the inner workings of the company.

You want to know certain facts about the company. First, you want to know where you are likely to be put during your first year. Ask questions with this angle: you want to fit in well. You don't want to disappoint anybody. You don't want to look as though you are not suited for the job. So, you need to know more about the company so that you will be able to give an honest assessment about your ability to fit in.

The strategy here is not to come on as a critic looking for ammo against the company. You are being humble. You are also being honest. You don't want to wind up as a square peg in a round hole. For this you need information, and the company needs information on you. If you position your questions this way, you will not be perceived as a wise guy -- a potential troublemaker. You will be perceived as someone who wants to be a team player. Above all, that is what low-level management wants out of newly hired people. They don't want to hire innovators. Innovators are hired by senior managers and shoved down the throat of a particular department's senior manager. They all resent this, but they can't do anything about it. They can do something about making offers to job-seekers who walk in off the street.

Second, you want to find out what will be expected of you in the first year. That's why you want to find out what the job will require. You want to get some sense of the objective criteria that officially will be used to evaluate your performance. Obviously, subjective criteria play a big part in anybody's career. The person above you will use objective criteria officially to judge your performance, whether or not you are really productive. He wants you productive in a specific way: making him look good. If you can provide this, you will keep your job.

Third, you want to know how long the head of your department has been at his job. If it is longer than five years, he is not innovative. Basically, it boils down to this: anybody so low on the totem pole that he must deal with someone like you had better be a newcomer. If he is an old timer, he has been relegated into the outer darkness of the company. That's where you will start your career. He is a dead-ender.

In your first year, you have to be a steady performer. You don't want to make waves in that first year. You want to get the lay of the land first. Then make your first move upward. Start out performing at an above-average level. Don't make waves in that first year. Learn how the system works before you try to use the system to advance your career. Perform reliably in that first year. Then figure out what you will have to do in order to double your salary over the next five years. This should be your goal. You should double your salary by the beginning of your sixth year in the company. That's because you will be starting out as a grunt-level worker.

Don't ask the interviewer about opportunities for advancement. You're talking to a person in human relations at a dead-end in his career. He doesn't know the answer.

The more that you find out about the product that the company produces, the better off you are. You should do your homework first. Then go in and ask questions about how the company works to improve the product. Show interest in the product. You want to find out what the corporate culture is. The culture ought to be devoted to developing the product and new products so as to serve the customers. Is it a customer-driven company?

I would want to know about the engineering department and the customer service department. How do they develop new products? How do they keep existing customers happy? If the customer service department is located in India, you're starting off on the wrong foot. Look at FAQ's on the site. You want to know how the company heads off unsatisfied customers in advance.

If you use FAQ's to guide your questioning, you are safer. It is not a threat to ask for more information related to FAQ's. That's why they are called FAQ's.

How does the engineering department deal with customer service? How does customer service relate to the engineers, so as to improve the product line? You want to know whether this company will survive the next recession. If it is not driven by customers, it is going to be in deep trouble in the third year of the next recession.

If you asked questions in such a way that the interviewer thinks you are trying to be a team player, you can get more information out of him than if you come on like a hot-shot reformer. Don't talk about the retirement program. Don't talk about the starting salary. That salary gets you in the door. Your goal should be to double your salary within five years. If you don't think you can do this in this company, you would probably be wise to play along in the interview, but then politely thank them for their offer if you get one, and move on.

Start small. Play ball. Move up after a year.

If you can pin your star to a hot shot who is moving up fast, you will move up with him. Use your first year to look for this guy. Then make yourself useful to him.

You need to get a job to implement this strategy.

https://www.garynorth.com/public/16793.cfm

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,248
    Given: 4,031

1 Not allowed!

Wear your wedding ring. Marriage points to stability and likely that you will not leave job after a short period of time.

Also, never speak about having children, especially if you are a woman.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

0 Not allowed!

Or just tell the interviewer she's beautiful just like I did.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cniva View Post
    That works only if the interviewer is 'ugly', a beautiful interviewer would probably find your compliment annoying

Last Online
    08-17-2017 @ 12:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric/Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish & Levantine Arab
    Ancestry
    Paternal: Eastern Finland (likely with Russian admixture) Maternal: Palestine
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    X2e2b
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Baltid-Arabid Mongrel
    Politics
    Right Wing - Libertarian
    Hero
    Ronald Reagan
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 156

0 Not allowed!

I legit wore a push-up bra under my suit (yeah, I prefer women's suits to more typically feminine things, sue me) when I interviewed for my current job. I am not proud of that, but it does work.

And yeah, I was wearing hijab as well, lol, kinda defeats the purpose, but I really wanted that job.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    That works only if the interviewer is 'ugly', a beautiful interviewer would probably find your compliment annoying
    Well she has a big pointy nose, so I don't think she's conventionally attracive. But to me I love a strong caucasoid nose on a woman (srs) .. cant say that enough

Quote Originally Posted by Sekarotuinen View Post
    I legit wore a push-up bra under my suit (yeah, I prefer women's suits to more typically feminine things, sue me) when I interviewed for my current job. I am not proud of that, but it does work.

And yeah, I was wearing hijab as well, lol, kinda defeats the purpose, but I really wanted that job.
    Nothing sexier than a woman in business attire. It's a damn shame ur too shy to post pics...

Last Online
    08-17-2017 @ 12:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric/Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish & Levantine Arab
    Ancestry
    Paternal: Eastern Finland (likely with Russian admixture) Maternal: Palestine
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    X2e2b
    Taxonomy
    Nordid-Baltid-Arabid Mongrel
    Politics
    Right Wing - Libertarian
    Hero
    Ronald Reagan
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 156

0 Not allowed!

Well she has a big pointy nose, so I don't think she's conventionally attracive. But to me I love a strong caucasoid nose on a woman (srs) .. cant say that enough

Nothing sexier than a woman in business attire. It's a damn shame ur too shy to post pics...
    Not shy, scared to be expelled.

Thread Information