"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

1 Not allowed!

Well they sure af had German forenames, and not all of their surnames are Polish.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    The border changes after WWII weren't justifiable at all from an ethnic or moral standpoint.
    I have to disagree. Taking land away from Germany was justifiable because they started and then lost the war. East Prussia should have never become part of Germany to begin with, because it had no land connection with the rest of Germany.

If anything it could be a separate state like Switzerland for example.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,295
    Given: 26,310

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterski View Post
    I have to disagree. Taking land away from Germany was justifiable because they started and then lost the war. East Prussia should have never become part of Germany to begin with, because it had no land connection with the rest of Germany.

If anything it could be a separate state like Switzerland for example.
    Ethnically cleansing tens of millions of people because of the actions of their government is not justifiable. Giving some border areas with a mostly Polish or mixed population would have been fine, giving away the eastern quarter of the country and violently expelling all of the inhabitants was a war crime committed by Stalin.

Alaska has no land connection with America, should it never have become part of America?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Most of them escaped on their own before the war ended. See here:

Spoiler!

And who says about expelling the rest? They can stay, but the territory goes to Poland.

I mean that's what I would do: annex the area with the inhabitants.

Alaska has no land connection with America, should it never have become part of America?
    The USA did not invade Canada and start a World War over land connection with Alaska.

And they did not genocide 6 million of Canadians in the process.
    Last edited by Peterski; 11-01-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Most of them escaped on their own before the war ended. See here:

Spoiler!

And who says about expelling the rest? They can stay, but the territory goes to Poland.

I mean that's what I would do: annex the area with the inhabitants.

The USA did not invade Canada and start a World War over land connection with Alaska.

And they did not genocide 6 million of Canadians in the process.
    In my opinion, two wrongs don't make a right. Instead of letting those who fled the Red Army become refugees, the allies should have guaranteed them a safe return to their homelands, and also ensured that no borders were changed.

The only reason any borders were shifted were Stalin's lust for more land.

I'm not advocating a return of the Eastern formerly German territories now, nor do I think Poland has any blame for what happened, but I still think it was wrong and it shouldn't have happened.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In my opinion, two wrongs don't make a right. Instead of letting those who fled the Red Army become refugees, the allies should have guaranteed them a safe return to their homelands, and also ensured that no borders were changed.

I'm not advocating a return of the Eastern formerly German territories now, nor do I think Poland has any blame for what happened, but I still think it was wrong and it shouldn't have happened.
    Territorial change wasn't wrong, those were rightfully Polish lands anyway.

Just because someone speaks German doesn't mean they have to be part of Germany. The whole idea of ethnic-based nation states is stupid, and it was never implemented in Western Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland and the UK have always been multi-ethnic).

BTW, when is the USA going to give California back to Mexico? Already 45% of its population are Hispanics, and soon they will be the majority.

You stole it from Mexico in 1848 and expelled its Hispanic inhabitants to the south.

The only reason any borders were shifted were Stalin's lust for more land.
    Sorry but this is total bullshit. Your President and British Prime Minister also wanted it. Ever heard about the Morgenthau Plan? Its implementation was also seriously considered.

BTW, my family lost many lifes during WW2. Mainly murdered by the Germans. And then you sold my country to Commies for 45 years. Americans have no moral high ground.

In my opinion, two wrongs don't make a right.
    As I said, expulsion was wrong, but annexation of territory was right. Nothing wrong about it at all. That had been Polish land before.

In fact Americans planned to totally dismantle Germany and split it into several smaller countries, but later changed their mind.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

and also ensured that no borders were changed.
    After every war, the losers have to cede some territory to the victors.

It works like this since the beginning of human civilization. Look for example what happened to Paraguay after the War of the Triple Alliance. I don't know why do you think that Germans deserved special treatment despite starting a World War and genociding entire nations.

Not to mention that support for Hitler was especially high among Eastern Germans, ca. 50% of them were fervent Nazis.

In fact I believe that Stalin showed mercy by letting them live.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Territorial change wasn't wrong, those were rightfully Polish lands anyway.

Just because someone speaks German doesn't mean they have to be part of Germany. The whole idea of ethnic-based nation states is stupid, and it was never implemented in Western Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland and the UK have always been multi-ethnic).

BTW, when is the USA going to give California back to Mexico? Already 45% of its population are Hispanics, and soon they will be the majority.

You stole it from Mexico in 1848 and expelled its Hispanic inhabitants to the south.

Sorry but this is total bullshit. Your President and British Prime Minister also wanted it. Ever heard about the Morgenthau Plan? Its implementation was also seriously considered.

BTW, my family lost many lifes during WW2. Mainly murdered by the Germans. And then you sold my country to Commies for 45 years. Americans have no moral high ground.

As I said, expulsion was wrong, but annexation of territory was right. Nothing wrong about it at all. That had been Polish land before.

In fact Americans planned to totally dismantle Germany and split it into several smaller countries, but later changed their mind.
    It's clear that we have fundamentally different worldviews about ethnicity and nationality.

Hispanics have mostly immigrated to California in the last 60 years - it's completely different from Pomerania et. al.

Roosevelt and Churchill betrayed Eastern Europe, I don't disagree on that. I don't think they have moral high ground.

Some of the land had been Polish almost a millenia before - it would be like Greece claiming all of Asia Minor, the Levant, and Egypt based on the Byzantine Empire.

After every war, the losers have to cede some territory to the victors.

It works like this since the beginning of human civilization. Look for example what happened to Paraguay after the War of the Triple Alliance. I don't know why do you think that Germans deserved special treatment despite starting a World War and genociding entire nations.

Not to mention that support for Hitler was especially high among Eastern Germans, ca. 50% of them were fervent Nazis.

In fact I believe that Stalin showed mercy by letting them live.
    France didn't lose any French territory after Napoleon (I'm not counting Napoleon's conquests - Germany should have lost all land conquered after 1933, but not Weimar land)

Paraguayans are linguistically and culturally very similar to their neighbors, unlike Germans and Poles. That's more equivalent to Canada annexing Oregon without any ethnic cleansing.

At least the craziest idea (Germany loses all land east of the Elbe) didn't pass.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Paraguayans are linguistically and culturally very similar to their neighbors.
    No they aren't. Ask any Argentinian, Uruguayan or Brazilian if Paraguay is culturally close.

For example Brazilians speak Portuguese while Paraguayans speak Spanish and Guarani.

Hispanics have mostly immigrated to California in the last 60 years.
    California was part of Mexico all the way until 1848, and Spanish colonies before that.

Nowadays Mexicans who immigrate to California are just returning to their native lands.

Some of the land had been Polish almost a millenia before.
    But most of it had been Polish much more recently. For example entire East Prussia had been Polish until 1657, and some parts of East Prussia had been Polish even longer - until the First Partition in 1772 (for example the region of Warmia).

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Hero
    Tony Montana
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

No they aren't. Ask any Argentinian, Uruguayan or Brazilian if Paraguay is culturally close.

For example Brazilians speak Portuguese while Paraguayans speak Spanish and Guarani.

California was part of Mexico all the way until 1848, and Spanish colonies before that.

Nowadays Mexicans who immigrate to California are just returning to their native lands.

But most of it had been Polish much more recently. For example entire East Prussia had been Polish until 1657, and some parts of East Prussia had been Polish even longer - until the First Partition in 1772 (for example the region of Warmia).
    I don't know much about South America, sorry if I misrepresented things there.

There was virtually no Hispanic population in the American Southwest - the vast majority of Hispanics were in the land that is today Mexican.

I'm talking about Silesia, Pomerania, and West Brandenburg. East Prussia was a unique case, but had a mostly German population, and thus should have become an independent state - a Baltic Austria - if detached from Germany.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think Poland is to blame for the ethnic cleansing or border changes, nor do I think they should be reversed today. They were a nasty part of the past that shouldn't have happened, and I think it's important to recognize that they were unjust, but that they cannot be reverted without an even greater injustice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information