Thread: Observations of phenotypes at a Greek festival, only Greek speaking people observed

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Default Observations of phenotypes at a Greek festival, only Greek speaking people observed

I went twice to the local Greek festival. Of the people CONFIRMED to be Greek, either who I spoke to or could hear speaking Greek (and yes, I can recognize it), these were my observations of the phenotypes.

Main types: Dinaro-Med, Alpine-Med, Gracile Med, Atlanto-Med, Pontid, Med-CM mixes, some Gorid, and minor Armenoid and Nordid.

I'd say roughly 20% looked more Iberian than anything else, 30% looked closest to Italian, 40% looked solidly southern Balkan, and the other 10% were your extremes in either direction. Some people definitely looked Slavic, more so Polish rather than Russian.

1. Sexual dimorphism: on average, women looked more Southern European, men looked more Balkan.

Of the women, most looked easily passable as other Southern European ethnicities, such as Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, but there were every now and again a few people who passed as Armenian/Kurdish/Iranian, or who could pass as far north as Sweden. These were a minority and they stood out and could be easily picked out. The Jewish/Levantine look was rare if not absent (I only noticed one woman who looked like this who was from Lemnos in the Aegean), and almost no one looked North African.

Some women did, however, look more Balkan, maybe 25%.

This was true for any age.

Most look like this:

The following two male phenotypes made up a very large share of the male types, roughly half, as well as people who looked like me. Especially among the younger men, many had a robust build, square head, and the back of the head flat. 90% of the people I saw were brown haired, brown eyed. They definitely fit better in Bulgaria and Romania rather than in Sicily or Cyprus.

2. Older men had more Dinarid influence than the younger ones.

Many of the older men had a look similar to Al Pacino or to photos of older Albanian and Caucasian men that I have seen posted here, a mountain dwelling shepherd look. This was nearly absent amongst the young.

This is what I mean:

3. A small minority of people looked slightly Mongoloid.

Every now and again I noticed individuals, mostly men, who looked slightly Mongoloid influenced. But this look was nearly absent from the women. On the other hand, men rarely if at all looked Armenian whereas a small minority of the women were strongly Armenoid and/or Asiatic Alpine.

4. A lot of people looked very old, 90+.

I saw many, many older people who were clearly 90+ if not over 100. I have never seen so many since I have been inside a nursing home years ago. Must mean that the Mediterranean diet and isolated island living did these folks well.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-24-2021 @ 05:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Neo-liberal
    Hero
    Sikeliot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,258
    Given: 3,510

0 Not allowed!

In general I agree except of the caucasus part in 2

The Caucasians who look like Albanians resemble the dinaricized alpine part of Albanians, which is a little different from the typical "Shepherd-dinaric" which you correctly describe in 2

Anyway, exactly as I always supported, 50% of Greeks look south European, 40% Balkan, 10% none of them
    BTW I have personally been implicitly classified as dolichocephalic atlantid+pontid
    Last edited by brennus dux gallorum; 07-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brennus dux gallorum View Post
    In general I agree except of the caucasus part in 2

The Caucasians who look like Albanians resemble the dinaricized alpine part of Albanians, which is a little different from the typical "Shepherd-dinaric" which you correctly describe in 2

Anyway, exactly as I always supported, 50% of Greeks look south European, 40% Balkan, 10% none of them
    BTW I have personally been implicitly classified as dolichocephalic atlantid+pontid
    Do you think the first 4 people I posted look common? Not all of those are Greek people but they are people I could think of who represented the common looks I saw.

Thread Information