View Poll Results: Which one of the north euro IE people where closest to proto-germanics?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Balts

1 25.00%
  • West Slavs

2 50.00%
  • Celts

1 25.00%

Thread: Which one of the north euro IE people where closest to proto-germanics?

Last Online
    07-18-2022 @ 04:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Country
    Latvia
    Religion
    winter kills
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 56

0 Not allowed!

Default Which one of the north euro IE people where closest to proto-germanics?

Closest in quite general qualities such as ethnic phenotype, culture, structure of society and mentality.

P.S.
    Can some mod fix the typo in the thread title please?
    Last edited by stemm99; 07-21-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Last Online
    10-12-2018 @ 03:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Canada
    Taxonomy
    Not sure (yet)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

1 Not allowed!

Are you asking in context of today's people or from when proto-Germanics were still roaming around?

If it's the latter, I can't say I'm the most informed on the subject but I would be inclined to say that the progenitors of Celts were probably most closely related phenotypically - although I'm not sure about culture, I don't know much about that subject in that era.

If you're talking about today's standards, I'd wager that West Slavs and Balts are very close to the Germanic population due to centuries of cross cultural assimilation. Poles (Western ones in particular) and Germans were neighbors for much of recorded history and in more recent history they often coexisted (mostly) peacefully when politics allowed it. Even more so, I think the Czechs have absorbed a large portion of Germanic heritage due to the multicultural nature of Bohemia, where large amounts of Germans lived among Czechs and with either group often assimilating between one or the other. It's not just the Czech bloodline that has heavy German influence though, but it's also their culture and society. I personally consider Austria and Czechia to be almost brother nations despite some historical grievances, as the two have shared so much common history, much more than any other pair of European countries I can think of.

The Baltic Prussians also assimilated large amounts of Teutonic peoples, too, to the extent that the label "Prussian" in a cultural sense no longer meant the ancient Baltic people but became synonymous with Germanics.

I'm not as sure about the Celts. I think Celtic culture is very unique and distinguishable from Germanic culture (at least when you compare Austria and Czechia) but I'm certain Celts have absorbed large amounts of proto-Germanic or Norse DNA from numerous invasions from these lands to the places they inhabited.

All in all, I think most most peoples that lived in the northern regions as Proto-Germanics did would have more or less acquired at least a tangible amount of Germanic phenotypes, culture, traditions, or a combination of them all.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on the subject like I said, and some of the stuff I suggested may be blatantly wrong, but I figured I'd give my interpretation of the question a go.

Last Online
    05-06-2020 @ 08:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Amazigh
    Politics
    Metaphysical realism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 196

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stemm99 View Post
    Closest in quite general qualities such as ethnic phenotype, culture, structure of society and mentality.
    Proto-Germanic language developed in close contacts with proto-Baltic since at least 2000BC. So proto-Balts must be their whether northern, eastern or western neighbors for a long time. The key role for both groups belong to Funnelbeaker and Corded Ware cultures. Phenotypically, Cordeds, East Nordics and local CM's Baltids and Faelids played the main role in ethnic formation of both groups. I don't know much about proto-Germanic structure of society and mentality.
    Thus i voted for the West Balts.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Last Online
    07-18-2022 @ 04:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Country
    Latvia
    Religion
    winter kills
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 56

0 Not allowed!

West Balts I think were the only other ones besides germanics whose phenotype from the times of ethnogenesis was nordid + CM (kurganoid in case of West Balts, troender in case of germanics).

What I've learned from desription of goths and old prussians who I think are good representatives of the proto ethnicities of each people is their internal structure of society was similar - equality and democracy was highly valued, but unequal relationships (f.e. master-slave) were not. And the people by character were significantly individualistic.

Thread Information