Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pub smoking ban: 10 charts that show the impact

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

0 Not allowed!

All of the packaging on cigarette boxes and pouches of tobacco sold in the UK must by law be in the same ugly and dull brownish-green colour (which was voted in Australia as being the ugliest shade on a colour spectrum chart,) and must show revolting medical pictures of people who've been physically affected by smoking and pictures of corpses of people who died from smoking, along quit helpline numbers and weblinks, and medical warnings are printed on the packaging in clear and bold lettering in order to help put people off smoking.

Packets of 10 cigarettes are no longer allowed to be sold in the UK since May, 2017.

Packets of 20 cigarettes (dubbed as 'cancer sticks' and 'coffin nails') in the UK range between Ł7.50 (8.38 euros / US$9.77 / CA$12.22) and Ł10.50 (11.73 euros / US$13.68 / CA$17.11 ) per packet. A 20-a-day smoker will burn Ł4000 a year up in smoke on cigarettes. Much of the cost consists of high tax.

Still dying for a cigarette..?

All shops and supermarkets in the UK selling tobacco products must by law keep the products away from public display behind a metal screen and behind the counter. Any store that fails to comply with the law could lose their licence and will be fined.

It's also illegal to sell tobacco or alcohol products (or kitchen knives) to underage people. (People caught illegally carrying a knife on them during Stop & Search by police in the street risk being sent to jail for five years.)

Teenagers are sometimes hired by law inspectors to go inside random shops and stores and try to buy these products while the inspectors quietly wait around outside the store, before the teenager returns to let them know if they were allowed to buy knives, alcohol, or cigarettes. This is a method used in order to check if the seller will accept money from underage people or ask them for ID.

If the shop assistant sells such products to them, then the officer goes into the store and the staff get legally warned and the shop-owners are fined several thousand pounds. Few store owners will take the risk of losing their licence and being prosecuted.

Inspectors also inspect the premises of pubs and bars to check that nobody is smoking inside these public places and that clear 'No Smoking' signs are displayed inside the premises, otherwise the pub landlord risks losing their licence and being given a large fine.

There's been some cases reported in the UK media of OAP's who were refused to be sold cigarettes in stores by shop assistants because they didn't produce any age I.D. to prove they're over 18 - despite being aged 65!
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 07-24-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,997
    Given: 6,001

0 Not allowed!

It depends on the country you're from. They banned it in pubs in Kosovo, but people don't care for the legislation because they're not as cowed by the state as Westerners are.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Is e-cigs the fastest-growing industry in the UK?

What is behind the rapid growth of the vaping industry?

E-cigarettes are on the rise, there’s no denying it. Just last year, e-cig use had grown by 24 per cent on the previous year, with 2.6 million adults using them in the UK alone. What’s behind this rapid growth? It could be the report that Public Health England released stating that e-cigarettes are less harmful than tobacco cigarettes by up to 95 per cent, or it could have been the relaxed laws around the usage of them.

While we can speculate on this, the fact remains that sales continue to surge. In the UK, the e-cigarette industry has become one of the fastest-growing supermarket products by volume and value, with a 50 per cent year on year increase to around 17.3 million units last year as more and more people become aware and interested in the technology. Whether these users are turning to them as a quitting aid to regular tobacco cigarettes or as a healthier alternative is a source of debate but the figures speak for themselves, e-cigarettes are on the up.

While the online marketplace is at bursting point, more and more stores are showing up on the high street to cash in on the trend too. But is this rapid growth sustainable?

The ‘Global E Cigarette & Vaporizer Market – Analysis & Forecast Through 2015 to 2025’ report speculates that the industry will continue to grow globally at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of over 22 per cent from 2015 to 2025, witnessing a monumental growth until 2017 when it is forecast that regulatory and policy framework will be in place across the globe. In this ten-year period it is theorised that the industry will grow by $50 billion – a staggering amount of money.

But is regulation and policy the biggest stumbling block between e-cigarettes dominating the nicotine landscape and disappearing in a puff of its own vape?

In May, the Tobacco Products Directive will be reassessed by member states of the European Union to further regulate the production and sale of e-cigarettes across the continent. On the agenda includes new limitations on the size of e-liquid, a limit on the size of tanks/clearomisers, and nicotine strength being limited to 20mg to restrict potential nicotine poisoning. Perhaps the biggest regulation being tabled for the Tobacco Products Directive is prohibiting nicotine dosage, meaning that e-cigarettes will have to provide a consistent nicotine dose rather than dosage being dependant on the way the e-liquid is inhaled.

Though on paper these changes to regulation wouldn’t have any major impact on the overall e-cigarette industry, one cause for concern is a caveat that if a ‘competent authority’ such as a healthcare professional convinces three EU countries to ban an e-cigarette product – whether it’s a tank or a brand of e-liquid – on grounds of it being a potential health risk, then that product will have to be banned across the entire European Union. Scary stuff.

Be that as it may, several investment firms are closely monitoring the e-cigarette industry with the CAGR being an enticing prospect for them and projected income being a major temptation.

http://smallbusiness.co.uk/tips-on-h...iness-2504996/

In the UK, e-liquids are only allowed by law to be sold in small 10 ml bottles, the ingredients must be pharmaceutical-grade and TPD compliant, clearomisers and tanks mustn't exceed 2ml in size, all e-liquid bottles must have child-proof caps, and the highest nicotine strength is permitted to 18mg.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 07-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The global e-cigarette market is set to be worth $32bn by 2021, and the UK market will grow to $5.67bn

E-cigarettes are a quickly growing market in the UK

The global electronic cigarette market is set to be worth $32bn (Ł25bn) by the year 2021, while the UK market grows to $5.67bn (Ł4.46bn), a new report suggests.

The "tremendous" growth rate of vapour products is due to increased popularity in North America, particularly the US, and European countries including the UK, a new report by Beige Market Intelligence suggests.

In the UK, 12m adults smoke cigarettes and 2.6m use vapour products. Of those, 700,000 are ex-smokers and 1.3m are using both tobacco and vapour products.

The value of the traditional tobacco cigarette market is still 20 times larger than vapour products at $22-25bn, (Ł17-19bn), the report said.

Beige valued the vapour market in the UK at $1.16bn (Ł913m) in 2015 but predicted its growth rate would slow and it would reach $5.67bn (Ł4.46bn) by 2021.

The UK Vaping Industry Association (UKVIA) said retail sales in the country are worth around Ł600m, and the positive influence of public health bodies has helped the market.

Ecigarettes in the workplace: After Public Health England finds vaping 95 per cent less harmful than tobacco, is it time to review policy? http://www.cityam.com/222650/ecigare...armful-tobacco

"With a wide recognition that smokers want alternative products, we believe that there is an opportunity and demand that vaping products can meet," a UKVIA spokesperson said.

E-cigarette growth took off in 2014 as new technology was developed, major acquisitions took place and government regulations were introduced.

Tobacco companies are now dedicating significant portions of their budgets to the research and development (R&D) of e-cigarettes, the report said.

Reynolds American increased its R&D spending by 27 per cent in 2015 to invest in and develop alternative tobacco products, and British American Tobacco (BAT) has invested $5bn in R&D of its next-generation products over the course of five years.

Last month, Philip Morris International, the world's largest international tobacco company, said it could eventually stop selling traditional cigarettes altogether following the launch of its tobacco heating product in the UK.

Imperial Brands must invest in new, safer heating products to compete with tobacco giants: http://www.cityam.com/255419/imperia...ating-products

Major players in the worldwide e-cigarette market include Altria Group (which owns Philip Morris USA), BAT, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco International and Reynolds American.

As the big tobacco companies enter the market, small players may face a challenging competitive environment, the report said.

The e-cigarette market is also a place for innovation, with new flavours, more advanced and powerful vaping devices and Bluetooth-enabled e-cigarettes in the works.

http://www.cityam.com/255646/global-...-and-uk-market
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 07-24-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Trondheim, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    British Columbia
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,828
    Given: 243

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    6mg is very good... well done!

I still like using 24mg and 18mg on smaller cig-a-like devices, tho I can get it down to 12 mg (and sometimes 6mg) using higher powered vaping devices... which can create the effect of higher nicotine shots. (I'm a nicotine addict who's completely quit smoking, although my cravings for nicotine aren't as strong as like when I used to smoke before joining the happy vaping community.)

24mg is no longer allowed to be sold in the EU after the TPD laws made it illegal in May this year.... so I stocked-up on 24mg e-liquids while they were all being sold-off at very low prices in a sale before the new law came into effect.

Some 24mg users in the UK are currently going through 'post 24mg blues' with e-product companies such as JAC Vapour advising their fans to use a higher-powered vaping device instead to compensate for 18mg being the highest level they can now legally sell (post-TPD law)... until people feel able to gradually reduce their nicotine level if they wish to.

I'm not sure if I'll ever decide to quit vaping (it's a gradual process if people want to quit nicotine altogether)... but one thing I know for sure is that I've no desire to ever smoke again as that's way more dangerous. I feel so much healthier and can breathe much better too since quitting smoking.

Sometimes I get an occasional mild craving to smoke, but I just use my willpower and vape instead... and the craving feeling for a smoke soon disappears after vaping on my electric cigarette devices.

My favourite e-liquid flavours are strawberries & cream, cherry, vanilla, banana milkshake, pineapple, pear drops, juicy peach, lemon & lime, blackcurrant, mango, raspberry, banoffee pie, caramel, hazelnut and milk chocolate, cinnamon cream, mint choc chip ice-cream, French vanilla, toffee, fudge, menthol, and occasionally tobacco flavours.

I also like a mix of 50/50 PG/VG in the base to obtain both throat hit and vapour production, although I'm not a cloud-chaser nor into creating huge plumes of vapour.... especially in public!

I prefer using small and lightweight personal vaping pens with manual batteries, or slim and small 'cig-a-like' models with auto batteries and with mini clearomizer tanks attached, as I don't like cartomizers.

I like the five-click function to lock and unlock the manual batteries that don't automatically start vaping by themself in your handbag like with the autos sometimes.

The problem with the small devices are the batteries need recharging a lot, compared to the larger and higher powered batteries that can last all day and create more heat and vapour. Plus the box mod kits have batteries with digital displays on them to adjust the voltage, resistance, memory function buttons of the last vape time, and number of puffs taken, etc.

I have a lot of different flavours stocked and I keep several spare clearomizers, atomizers, a spare battery for when the other needs recharging, chargers, and a power-supply bank in my leak-proof and shock-proof little vaping case I carry on me whenever I'm outside or away from home. (I also carry an emergency spare NRT patch and my little inhalator just incase vaping is forbidden in places.)

I also like it that you can buy sub-ohm tanks, and low-resistance coils, various mouthpieces (drip-tips), and adjust the airflow and voltage of power on devices.... plus create your own flavour mixes too using base liquids, flavours, e-liquid syringes and mixing bottles, and that advanced vapers can buy tools to build their own coils.

I love watching the vaping product and e-liquid reviews on YT as they sometimes have discount codes for products featured underneath their videos. I often use 5, 10, 15 and also 20% discount codes I come across on the vaping products I buy, and I like it that you can leave reviews on e-liquid flavours and vaping devices that the reputable companies sell, and earn a load of points that can be turned into money vouchers off vaping products.

This vaper has been happily vaping on e-cigarettes for five years and showed his chest x-ray improvement of his lungs clearing since quitting smoking:
    I use a pretty high powered vaporizer, compared to a pen anyways, so I guess 6 isn't that low, I run sub ohm carbonizers but I run them at 2.75 volts so the battery will last a long time.

I use a joytech mini 2, it's small enough to be in the pocket but big enough to not be a pain like some of those small vape pens.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information