Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,998
    Given: 6,001

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by АКСИС View Post
    LOL ive been catholic all my life and never once have I ever seen a church with rock and roll liturgies, as if praising the Lord with an electrical guitar is somehow eveil lol, thats how silly and pharasee like you orthodox can be.

Jesus specifically says to Peter, you are Peter and upon this Rock I will build my church. Petros is just the masculine form of Petra, if you spoke a language with genders you would know the name has to be declined to be masculine. Also Jesus didnt call him Petros but Kephas and in aramaic and hebrew Kephas is a just a rock. Why would Jesus give him the name rock and call him rock but then suddenly be referring to himself. You complete deny the bible, and this argument is old and not supported by modern Orthodox or Protestant theologians as it was proven false time and again.

Lol what utter nonsense you are in complete contradiction to the early church fathers. They all aknowledged and supported the Bishop of Rome as the head of the entire church and none of them interpreted the scripture where Jesus calls peter the rock like you do.

What the early church said about Rome and the Papacy

Cyprian of Carthage

"The Lord says to Peter: ‘I say to you,’ he says, ‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.’ . . . On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were that also which Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?" (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4; 1st edition [A.D. 251]).

Origen

"[I]f we were to attend carefully to the Gospels, we should also find, in relation to those things which seem to be common to Peter . . . a great difference and a preeminence in the things [Jesus] said to Peter, compared with the second class [of apostles]. For it is no small difference that Peter received the keys not of one heaven but of more, and in order that whatsoever things he binds on earth may be bound not in one heaven but in them all, as compared with the many who bind on earth and loose on earth, so that these things are bound and loosed not in [all] the heavens, as in the case of Peter, but in one only; for they do not reach so high a stage with

Augustine

"Among these [apostles] Peter alone almost everywhere deserved to represent the whole Church. Because of that representation of the Church, which only he bore, he deserved to hear ‘I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven’" (Sermons 295:2 [A.D. 411]).

"Some things are said which seem to relate especially to the apostle Peter, and yet are not clear in their meaning unless referred to the Church, which he is acknowledged to have represented in a figure on account of the primacy which he bore among the disciples. Such is ‘I will give unto you the keys of the kingdom of heaven,’ and other similar passages. In the same way, Judas represents those Jews who were Christ’s enemies" (Commentary on Psalm 108 1 [A.D. 415]).

"Who is ignorant that the first of the apostles is the most blessed Peter?" (Commentary on John 56:1 [A.D. 416]).

Irenaeus

"The blessed apostles [Peter and Paul], having founded and built up the church [of Rome], they handed over the office of the episcopate to Linus. Paul makes mention of this Linus in the epistle to Timothy [2 Tim. 4:21]. To him succeeded Anencletus, and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was chosen for the episcopate. He had seen the blessed apostles and was acquainted with them. It might be said that he still heard the echoes of the preaching of the apostles and had their traditions before his eyes. And not only he, for there were many still remaining who had been instructed by the apostles. In the time of Clement, no small dissension having arisen among the brethren in Corinth, the Church in Rome sent a very strong letter to the Corinthians, exhorting them to peace and renewing their faith. . . To this Clement, Evaristus succeeded. . . and now, in the twelfth place after the apostles, the lot of the episcopate [of Rome] has fallen to Eleutherus. In this order, and by the teaching of the apostles handed down in the Church, the preaching of the truth has come down to us" (Against Heresies 3:3:3 [inter AD. 180-190]).

"But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops qf the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition" (ibid. 3:3:2).

Cyprian

"With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set sail and carry letters from schismatics and b.asphemers to the Chair of Peter and to the principal church [at Rome], in which sacerdotal unity has its source" (Epistle to Cornelius [Bishop of Rome] 59:14 [A.D. 252]).

Optatus

"In the city of Rome the episcopal chair was given first to Peter, the chair in which Peter sat, the same who was head - that is why he is also called Cephas - of all the apostles, the one chair in which unity is maintained by all. Neither do the apostles proceed individually on their own, and anyone who would [presume to] set up another chair in opposition to that single chair would, by that very fact, be a schismatic and a sinner. . . .Recall, then, the origins of your chair, those of you who wish to claim for yourselves the title of holy Church" (The Schism of the Donatists 2:2 [circa A.D. 367]).
    I don't care about what you've seen or not seen. These type of liturgies have become very common in Catholic Churches after Vatican II and the Novus Ordo. However, it is definitely a wrong form of worship. We have been shown through Church tradition, going all the way back to the Old Testament, how to properly worship God. You don't even mention the clown mass, by the way, which was done in the basilica of Buenos Aires, the second largest in the world. It is absolutely a mockery. Your accusations of Phariseeism are completely idiotic, too, seeing as Christ himself said the Pharisees are right in their teachings (Mat 23: 2-7). You, on the other hand, are of the spirit of the Saducees.

The reason Jesus would say, "...sy ei Petros kai epi tautē tē petra...", to quote the Greek, is because he's making a wordplay. It escapes you that the Bible frequently uses the rock symbolism to refer to Christ and Christians. Even St. Peter himself refers to CHRIST as the stone and to all Christian believers as the stones that make up the church structure in Peter 2: 1-8. This harkens back to the Old Testament, because Peter is quoting Isaiah 2: 16-17. And even if you were right in identifying the stone with St. Peter alone—which you are not, it's a massive misunderstanding—it would still not lead us to Papal Infallibility or some special 'succession of rockness'.

It also escapes you that somehow all the fathers, in your eyes, professed Papism, and yet in the early Church you never see anything even vaguely similar to what the Vatican is today. The reason why is because you impose heretical Papist beliefs on things you read from different fathers. That's why you mine for quotes without any regard if 1. if they are actually saying what you assume they say and 2. if they are taken out of context.

It also completely ignores what actually was the case throughout history, where there wasn't only one apostolic see, that of Peter, but several apostolic sees, where that of Rome was indeed given a position as first among equals, but not more, and most certainly not any heinous concept such as papal infallibility. It was a position of respect before anything else. This is why, by the way, St. Paul can REBUKE St. Peter. You know, because St. Peter thought at some point, and in a fashion which is condemned in the Bible, that Gentiles couldn't follow Christ without first converting to Judaism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will proceed to show you how you quote Church fathers and Saints wrongly. I will also quote other saints and church fathers to show how massively wrong and heretical your Papism is.

First I will quote St. Gregory the Dialogist, a bishop of Rome, i.e. a pope, "I say it without the least hesitation, whoever calls himself the universal bishop, or desires this title, is, by his pride, the precursor of Antichrist, because he thus attempts to raise himself above the others. The error into which he falls springs from pride equal to that of Antichrist; for as that Wicked One wished to be regarded as exalted above other men, like a god, so likewise whoever would be called sole bishop exalteth himself above others....You know it, my brother; hath not the venerable Council of Chalcedon conferred the honorary title of 'universal' upon the bishops of this Apostolic See [Rome], whereof I am, by God's will, the servant? And yet none of us hath permitted this title to be given to him; none hath assumed this bold title, lest by assuming a special distinction in the dignity of the episcopate, we should seem to refuse it to all the brethren."

Either the greatest of all the bishops of Rome, a great saint and a Church Father was contradicting himself and the Council of Chalcedon or he is maintaining what was always the Orthodox position that the bishop of Rome is first among equals, i.e., honoured but not more important in any way. A pope makes the most harsh possible condemnation of precisely the Papist position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You quote St. Cyprian as saying, ""With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set sail and carry letters from schismatics and blasphemers to the Chair of Peter and to the principal church [at Rome], in which sacerdotal unity has its source." but Cyprian never actually says this. Maybe you can perform some Papist alchemy like the Papist Church of the Renaissance on Cyprian's Epistle to Cornelius (54:9-14 actually, not 59:14). It isn't even vaguely similar to your misquote and suggests nothing similar to your Papist heresy. Your quote even uses ahistorical Papist terminology like sacerdotal unity!

If you weren't a Papist idiot mining for quotes and misquotes fitting your heresy, you would have known that St. Cyprian DENIED Papism in the Seventh Council of Carthage: "For neither does any of us set himself up as a bishop of bishops, nor by tyrannical terror does any compel his colleague to the necessity of obedience; since every bishop, according to the allowance of his liberty and power, has his own proper right of judgment, and can no more be judged by another than he himself can judge another." That you are just a fool who doesn't understand anything is also understandable along by the very fact that you quote St. Cyprian twice and separately as if there were two separate Cyprians, not knowing that it's the same person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You quote Origen's commentary on Matthew 16, but you only quote a small part of it out of context and not the whole which completely rejects Papism, too: "... And if we too have said like Peter, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God, not as if flesh and blood had revealed it unto us, but by light from the Father in heaven having shone in our heart, we become a Peter, and to us there might be said by the Word, You are Peter, etc. Matthew 16:18 For a rock is every disciple of Christ of whom those drank who drank of the spiritual rock which followed them, 1 Corinthians 10:4 and upon every such rock is built every word of the church, and the polity in accordance with it; for in each of the perfect, who have the combination of words and deeds and thoughts which fill up the blessedness, is the church built by God." (Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew (book XII))

Here he says precisely what I had said! He continues in the same trajectory, showing you are simply misquoting and imposing your idiotic heresy on Origen's commentary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your quote of Optatus is completely off point. He was arguing against the Donatists and their setting up of a bishopric in Rome. What he is saying is that only the See of Peter, the Bishopric of Rome, is legitimate, apostolic—in the West!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You quote St. Irenaeus, who in fact isn't making the usual Papist claims in that quote. Even without any context to that quote it is completely in line with what the Orthodox believe. And notice he's not making the usual Papist claims about St. Peter being the sole foundation of the church. You idiot—he's saying St. Peter and St. Paul founded the Church of Rome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, you quote St. Augustine. However, St. Augustine in fact held the position I, the Church Fathers and even St. Paul and St. Peter have propounded, which is that Christ is the rock and that through our confession of Christ we also become the rocks that form the Church. Even what you quote him as saying is nothing like the Papist position.

And something I should comment before I start showing you some of the things St. Augustine said is that St. Augustine is divided into early Augustine and later Augustine because St. Augustine later on wrote a book called "The Retractions" where he rejects much of what he had earlier argued, including what you quoted. The same is true for Origen, just in reverse. Later Origen was condemned for espousing heresy, which is also why he isn't a saint.

Here St. Augustine retracts his former beliefs on St. Peter being the rock: "In a passage in this book, I said about the Apostle Peter: ‘On him as on a rock the Church was built’...But I know that very frequently at a later time, I so explained what the Lord said: ‘Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church,’ that it be understood as built upon Him whom Peter confessed saying: ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God,’ and so Peter, called after this rock, represented the person of the Church which is built upon this rock, and has received ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven.’ For, ‘Thou art Peter’ and not ‘Thou art the rock’ was said to him. But ‘the rock was Christ,’ in confessing whom, as also the whole Church confesses, Simon was called Peter. But let the reader decide which of these two opinions is the more probable." (The Retractions, Chapter 20, p. 151)

The very fact that St. Augustine finally says that it is up to the reader to decide which of the two opinions is more likely also shows definitely that it wasn't a dogma in his time like it is today with the Papist Church. This is what you consistently see throughout Church history, until about the Schism of 1054 (not really, but it's a nice date to make this more simple than it is).

Let me quote St. Augustine, again, by the way, "For men who wished to be built upon men, said, ‘I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas,’ who is Peter. But others who did not wish to built upon Peter, but upon the Rock, said, ‘But I am of Christ.’ And when the Apostle Paul ascertained that he was chosen, and Christ despised, he said, ‘Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?’ And, as not in the name of Paul, so neither in the name of Peter; but in the name of Christ: that Peter might be built upon the Rock, not the Rock upon Peter. This same Peter therefore who had been by the Rock pronounced ‘blessed,’ bearing the figure of the Church."

One must wonder if the first part doesn't tie in with Mark 8:33. It really does seem so given the historical developments of Papism and especially its modern humanistic pretenses.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 05:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Aryan
    Ethnicity
    Indo-Aryan, West Asian, Indo-Brachid
    Ancestry
    C.Asia, North West, Western India.
    Country
    India
    Y-DNA
    r1a - z93
    Taxonomy
    Indo-Aryan
    Politics
    Far Right
    Hero
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Human race is amazing primitive.

10% is looking to colonize Mars.

80% are fighting to prove each other their daddy is better.

10% are like dude, just chill we worship the god just our method and Paths are different.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 10:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Albanian American
    Ancestry
    Albanian from Okshtuni Vogel, Diber, Albania
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1029* (terminal founder clade not yet defined)
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized Paleo-Atlantid
    Politics
    Fuck It
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Non Denominational Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 1,855

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Abubu View Post
    You're talking about something you have absolutely no idea about. I have frequently shown you how ignorant you are about the religious matters you speak on, so it is surprising that you would claim to know what all religions are. The life in the Orthodox Church is nothing like you seem to imagine it is. And for all your talk about dogmatism, this is about as dogmatic as anything I've ever seen.
    Anyone who believes a woman can have a male child with Y-DNA absent a males sperm, and has genetically tested, and is on a genetics forum, is in no way shape or form in any position to speak on who is or is not ignorant. You are a walking contradiction and a half. I minored religious studies in college you Budal. Now keep it fucking moving. Your greatest representatives are Serbian savages. Dogma is a powerful tool to control the ignorant.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    Anyone who believes a woman can have a male child with Y-DNA absent a males sperm, and has genetically tested, and is on a genetics forum, is in no way shape or form in any position to speak on who is or is not ignorant. You are a walking contradiction and a half. I minored religious studies in college you Budal. Now keep it fucking moving. Your greatest representatives are Serbian savages. Dogma is a powerful tool to control the ignorant.
    I don't care what you minored in, university obviously didn't do very much good for you. It didn't do any good for you because it hasn't made you any wiser or more knowledgeable, but instead it has made you arrogant in your foolishness and ignorance. You call me dogmatic, while all you do is making unsubstantiated claims (which are to be taken on what exactly? looks like dogma in the modern pejorative sense) and make arguments even kindergartners could demolish.

The God who created the world, male and female, DNA and so on, who is beyond this world everything in which He created, wouldn't be bound to the things of this world, i.e., He could perform those things we call miracles. This isn't dogma, this is very, very basic reasoning.

What is it that could possibly make it so hard for you not to understand that very, very, basic reasoning? Many things, but in your case it's likely the arrogance your worthless degree gave you, which is a great danger for a middling intellect. Your pride must be heavily invested in that worthless piece of paper. This is why you have no arguments, only snark trying to pass for reason, no facts and just throw around the word dogma as if you're 1337 N30 escaping the M47r1x.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Typical ignorant bs.

- Vidovdan is a day of veneration for St. Vitus, who isn't celebrated by Serbs only and who is most certainly not a Pagan deity.

- The Holy Trinity consists of Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, not the blessed Virgin Mary. At least you should know about the most basic beliefs of Christians before talking bout Christianity. And except for the number three, there's nothing else in common.

- Islam is a completely false religion which is obvious by the fact that Mohammad isn't spoken of in any previous prophecies and doesn't pass the most basic criterias of being a rightful prophet in the tradition laid out by the Old Testament. Its fraudulence in dealing with the figure of Christ, by the way, is only matched by the Gnostics.
    See here, by the way. The reason Muslims like Bosniensis believe the Theotokos is one of the three persons in the Holy Trinity is because there were heretical Christian Arabs around Meccah who believed this. Mohammed was such a divinely inspired messenger of Allah that his understanding of Christianity didn't go further than his eyes, nose and ears.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2022 @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    BRIT
    Ancestry
    England,Ireland,Scotland, Germany,Alsace,Austria
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Amazigh
    mtDNA
    J1c3
    Politics
    Freedom
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,201
    Given: 9,778

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    Why couldn't that happen though? Assuming there is an all powerful God, wouldn't He have the power?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Gheg Albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H7
    Politics
    Truth
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Why couldn't that happen though? Assuming there is an all powerful God, wouldn't He have the power?
    Because it's not hip to use even the most rudimentary logic for religious studies minors.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-02-2018 @ 10:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Muskogean-Celto-Romance-Sahelian-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    choctaw amerindian,Louisiana creole,dutch
    Country
    Netherlands
    Taxonomy
    White Mediterennean Phenotype (image below)V
    Politics
    Moneyless voluntary Communes no government
    Hero
    Takla Haymanot,pope kyrillos the sixth miracle worker,Saint Minas,shenouda the archimandriti
    Religion
    Miaphysite Orthodox christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

I don't care about what you've seen or not seen. These type of liturgies have become very common in Catholic Churches after Vatican II and the Novus Ordo. However, it is definitely a wrong form of worship. We have been shown through Church tradition, going all the way back to the Old Testament, how to properly worship God. You don't even mention the clown mass, by the way, which was done in the basilica of Buenos Aires, the second largest in the world. It is absolutely a mockery. Your accusations of Phariseeism are completely idiotic, too, seeing as Christ himself said the Pharisees are right in their teachings (Mat 23: 2-7). You, on the other hand, are of the spirit of the Saducees.

The reason Jesus would say, "...sy ei Petros kai epi tautē tē petra...", to quote the Greek, is because he's making a wordplay. It escapes you that the Bible frequently uses the rock symbolism to refer to Christ and Christians. Even St. Peter himself refers to CHRIST as the stone and to all Christian believers as the stones that make up the church structure in Peter 2: 1-8. This harkens back to the Old Testament, because Peter is quoting Isaiah 2: 16-17. And even if you were right in identifying the stone with St. Peter alone—which you are not, it's a massive misunderstanding—it would still not lead us to Papal Infallibility or some special 'succession of rockness'.

It also escapes you that somehow all the fathers, in your eyes, professed Papism, and yet in the early Church you never see anything even vaguely similar to what the Vatican is today. The reason why is because you impose heretical Papist beliefs on things you read from different fathers. That's why you mine for quotes without any regard if 1. if they are actually saying what you assume they say and 2. if they are taken out of context.

It also completely ignores what actually was the case throughout history, where there wasn't only one apostolic see, that of Peter, but several apostolic sees, where that of Rome was indeed given a position as first among equals, but not more, and most certainly not any heinous concept such as papal infallibility. It was a position of respect before anything else. This is why, by the way, St. Paul can REBUKE St. Peter. You know, because St. Peter thought at some point, and in a fashion which is condemned in the Bible, that Gentiles couldn't follow Christ without first converting to Judaism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will proceed to show you how you quote Church fathers and Saints wrongly. I will also quote other saints and church fathers to show how massively wrong and heretical your Papism is.

First I will quote St. Gregory the Dialogist, a bishop of Rome, i.e. a pope, "I say it without the least hesitation, whoever calls himself the universal bishop, or desires this title, is, by his pride, the precursor of Antichrist, because he thus attempts to raise himself above the others. The error into which he falls springs from pride equal to that of Antichrist; for as that Wicked One wished to be regarded as exalted above other men, like a god, so likewise whoever would be called sole bishop exalteth himself above others....You know it, my brother; hath not the venerable Council of Chalcedon conferred the honorary title of 'universal' upon the bishops of this Apostolic See [Rome], whereof I am, by God's will, the servant? And yet none of us hath permitted this title to be given to him; none hath assumed this bold title, lest by assuming a special distinction in the dignity of the episcopate, we should seem to refuse it to all the brethren."

Either the greatest of all the bishops of Rome, a great saint and a Church Father was contradicting himself and the Council of Chalcedon or he is maintaining what was always the Orthodox position that the bishop of Rome is first among equals, i.e., honoured but not more important in any way. A pope makes the most harsh possible condemnation of precisely the Papist position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You quote St. Cyprian as saying, ""With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set sail and carry letters from schismatics and blasphemers to the Chair of Peter and to the principal church [at Rome], in which sacerdotal unity has its source." but Cyprian never actually says this. Maybe you can perform some Papist alchemy like the Papist Church of the Renaissance on Cyprian's Epistle to Cornelius (54:9-14 actually, not 59:14). It isn't even vaguely similar to your misquote and suggests nothing similar to your Papist heresy. Your quote even uses ahistorical Papist terminology like sacerdotal unity!

If you weren't a Papist idiot mining for quotes and misquotes fitting your heresy, you would have known that St. Cyprian DENIED Papism in the Seventh Council of Carthage: "For neither does any of us set himself up as a bishop of bishops, nor by tyrannical terror does any compel his colleague to the necessity of obedience; since every bishop, according to the allowance of his liberty and power, has his own proper right of judgment, and can no more be judged by another than he himself can judge another." That you are just a fool who doesn't understand anything is also understandable along by the very fact that you quote St. Cyprian twice and separately as if there were two separate Cyprians, not knowing that it's the same person.

You quote Origen's commentary on Matthew 16, but you only quote a small part of it out of context and not the whole which completely rejects Papism, too: "... And if we too have said like Peter, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God, not as if flesh and blood had revealed it unto us, but by light from the Father in heaven having shone in our heart, we become a Peter, and to us there might be said by the Word, You are Peter, etc. Matthew 16:18 For a rock is every disciple of Christ of whom those drank who drank of the spiritual rock which followed them, 1 Corinthians 10:4 and upon every such rock is built every word of the church, and the polity in accordance with it; for in each of the perfect, who have the combination of words and deeds and thoughts which fill up the blessedness, is the church built by God." (Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew (book XII))

Here he says precisely what I had said! He continues in the same trajectory, showing you are simply misquoting and imposing your idiotic heresy on Origen's commentary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your quote of Optatus is completely off point. He was arguing against the Donatists and their setting up of a bishopric in Rome. What he is saying is that only the See of Peter, the Bishopric of Rome, is legitimate, apostolic—in the West!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You quote St. Irenaeus, who in fact isn't making the usual Papist claims in that quote. Even without any context to that quote it is completely in line with what the Orthodox believe. And notice he's not making the usual Papist claims about St. Peter being the sole foundation of the church. You idiot—he's saying St. Peter and St. Paul founded the Church of Rome.

Finally, you quote St. Augustine. However, St. Augustine in fact held the position I, the Church Fathers and even St. Paul and St. Peter have propounded, which is that Christ is the rock and that through our confession of Christ we also become the rocks that form the Church. Even what you quote him as saying is nothing like the Papist position.

And something I should comment before I start showing you some of the things St. Augustine said is that St. Augustine is divided into early Augustine and later Augustine because St. Augustine later on wrote a book called "The Retractions" where he rejects much of what he had earlier argued, including what you quoted. The same is true for Origen, just in reverse. Later Origen was condemned for espousing heresy, which is also why he isn't a saint.

Here St. Augustine retracts his former beliefs on St. Peter being the rock: "In a passage in this book, I said about the Apostle Peter: ‘On him as on a rock the Church was built’...But I know that very frequently at a later time, I so explained what the Lord said: ‘Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church,’ that it be understood as built upon Him whom Peter confessed saying: ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God,’ and so Peter, called after this rock, represented the person of the Church which is built upon this rock, and has received ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven.’ For, ‘Thou art Peter’ and not ‘Thou art the rock’ was said to him. But ‘the rock was Christ,’ in confessing whom, as also the whole Church confesses, Simon was called Peter. But let the reader decide which of these two opinions is the more probable." (The Retractions, Chapter 20, p. 151)

The very fact that St. Augustine finally says that it is up to the reader to decide which of the two opinions is more likely also shows definitely that it wasn't a dogma in his time like it is today with the Papist Church. This is what you consistently see throughout Church history, until about the Schism of 1054 (not really, but it's a nice date to make this more simple than it is).

Let me quote St. Augustine, again, by the way, "For men who wished to be built upon men, said, ‘I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas,’ who is Peter. But others who did not wish to built upon Peter, but upon the Rock, said, ‘But I am of Christ.’ And when the Apostle Paul ascertained that he was chosen, and Christ despised, he said, ‘Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?’ And, as not in the name of Paul, so neither in the name of Peter; but in the name of Christ: that Peter might be built upon the Rock, not the Rock upon Peter. This same Peter therefore who had been by the Rock pronounced ‘blessed,’ bearing the figure of the Church."

One must wonder if the first part doesn't tie in with Mark 8:33. It really does seem so given the historical developments of Papism and especially its modern humanistic pretenses.
    don't be mislead by catholic misquotes

see https://orthodoxyvsthepapacy.wordpre...-and-the-keys/
    https://www.christiantruth.com/artic...atholicism.php

https://www.christiantruth.com/artic...thersmt16.html

https://www.christiantruth.com/articles/mt16.html

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,990
    Given: 45,069

0 Not allowed!

Both Catholicism and Orthodoxy are wrong before God. They are extremely idolatrous, and we have been warned in the Bible about them.

Catholicism is the worst, though, as the prophet Daniel tells us about the Beast which is Rome, and the little horn which was the lineage of Popes. And the Apostle John shows us in the Book of Revelation that the Pope is the False Prophet, and certainly an Antichrist.

This is a hugely blasphemous discussion, and discussed in a very ungodly manner, therefore I am closing it.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread Information