Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

Default Estonia to strengthen the euro area

Estonia to strengthen the euro area

I know it seems odd, but while the future of the euro (will / should some euro countries leave the euro area?) is one of the most hotly debated subjects amongst economists, in just a few days time the euro area will actually expand.

When the clock strikes 23:00 in Frankfurt, Brussels and Amsterdam, Estonia will become the 17th member of the euro area (23:00 because in Estonia it is an hour later, so it will be 00:00 local time there). Is that good or bad for the euro area?

Although Estonia is a small country, there are only 1.3 million people living there (in a country that is somewhat larger than the Netherlands, where more over 16 million people live), it becoming a member of the euro area is a good thing.

Not in terms of economy however. Its economy is tiny, with the gross domestic product (GDP) just north of some 20 billion euro. Still though, Estonia has much to offer.

In terms of public finances, there will be some serious reshuffling in the euro area. Estonia will immediately advance to the first place when it comes to the size of public debt in the euro area. Estonia carries a ‘burden’ of some 7 percent of its GDP. For comparison purposes, the strong euro area countries such as Germany and the Netherlands have public debts of some 70 percent of GDP or more. Greece and Italy score well above 100 percent with a country like Belgium not very far behind.

Remarkable

Estonia is also a living proof that economic disasters do not have to lead to enormous budget deficits. Disaster is the correct word, as the economy of this tiny Baltic nation has contracted by some 15 percent in 2009 with 2010 not being much better either. But still its government managed to keep the budget deficit at just a tad over 1 percent of its GDP. A remarkable achievement indeed if there ever was one.

Moreover, it will be something new to the people of Estonia, as their governments have actually achieved budget surpluses in every year since 2002. Again, compare that with Greece, that not only has had budget deficits since 2002 (and before that as well), but has not even been able to keep the deficits below 3 percent of its GDP in any of those years.

But the most important change is the fact that the head of the Estonian central bank will become one of the voting members of the Governing Council of the European Central Bank. Given the fact that Estonia values fighting inflation more than trying to artificially prop up the economy and does not like to fund the government deficits by printing new money, this new board member will be an ally of the German, Dutch and Finish central bankers on the board at the ECB.

Dark side

There is one dark side as well though. In the not too distant past, a large majority of Estonian people actually supported the euro. Now, that support has declined to just some 50 percent.

That reflects the general trend that the popularity of the European currency is declining (fast) in Central and East Europe. If the take the eagerness to join the euro area as a yard stick to measure the value and appeal of the euro area, then there is no other conclusion possible, other that that the value and appeal are falling.

What is not declining is the intensity of the debate on the future of the euro. If anything, that debate is further gaining in strength. In that light: the Estonian krona, that will thus disappear in a few days time, was introduced in the summer of 1992, meaning that it has become 18 a couple of months ago. The euro coins and notes have been around since the beginning of 2002, so 9 years. It will be interesting to see whether the euro will be able to outlive the Estonian (new) krona.

P.S. If you wonder why any country would want to join the euro area in the first place: according to the Treaty on the European Union, ALL member states of the European Union (bar United Kingdom and Denmark) MUST join the euro area as soon as they fulfill the criteria that have been set (on inflation rate, long term interest rates, economic convergence, debt and budget balance).

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,956
    Given: 45,027

0 Not allowed!

Of course it would strengthen the euro area, and weaken Estonian finances in the long run. Just as it was the case with Ireland. People never learn, eh?? Expect prices to skyrocket once Estonia has joined the euro, and a property bubble to be created. And a few years after, massive debt, austerity measures and a collapse of the Estonian economy. Great stuff to look forward to!!
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Expect prices to skyrocket once Estonia has joined the euro, and a property bubble to be created. And a few years after, massive debt, austerity measures and a collapse of the Estonian economy. Great stuff to look forward to!!
    Collapse of the Estonian economy? That won't happen in the next 15 years. You can be certain in that.

Estonia isn't like Latvia, Ireland or Greece. Our economic policies are very conservative, the government does not take massive loans. Even almighty Germany has 10 times more debt than Estonia.

Last Online
    08-06-2011 @ 05:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Latvian-German
    Ancestry
    75% Latvian 25% German
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Baltid-Nordic
    Politics
    Nordicism
    Religion
    fatalism is realism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Collapse of the Estonian economy? That won't happen in the next 15 years. You can be certain in that.

Estonia isn't like Latvia, Ireland or Greece.
    Hello?? Why you always use Latvia to show a bad and negative thing?? Fuck Karl my country is your neighbour, we have a common history to a point and you talk about us like a third world country on the neger african continent! That is shit Karl, really! What do you think?? Tiny Estonia can save the Euro?? Estonia is smaller than Latvia!

Yes i have read your flames with Eriks and Namejs and i dont like it what they say to you and Estonians but i dont like what you say about Latvians too Estonia is good and Latvia is hell, blahg blah!! I tell you, you would be in the same situation without help of your big brother Finland, you know?? Finland helps the finno ugric brothers in Estonia with money and economy. But we Latvians have no big brother and we have it more difficult but we are no shit country --- dont give others the wrong impression. THANKS!!

Latvian-German Friendship

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Estonia isn't like Latvia, Ireland or Greece. Our economic policies are very conservative, the government does not take massive loans. Even almighty Germany has 10 times more debt than Estonia.
    You sure of that? Ireland had the highest GDP per capita in the EU. It was, in short, the richest EU country. ANY economy can go to shreds when a housing bubble bursts. I am absolutely certain that massive price increases/inflation will ensue in Estonia when/if it joins the euro, and that house prices will keep on increasing ... you will see. You can make a note of my post here, and check back in 5 years or so. It won't be a pretty sight.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Inese View Post
    Hello?? Why you always use Latvia to show a bad and negative thing?? Fuck Karl my country is your neighbour, we have a common history to a point and you talk about us like a third world country on the neger african continent! That is shit Karl, really! What do you think?? Tiny Estonia can save the Euro?? Estonia is smaller than Latvia!

Yes i have read your flames with Eriks and Namejs and i dont like it what they say to you and Estonians but i dont like what you say about Latvians too Estonia is good and Latvia is hell, blahg blah!! I tell you, you would be in the same situation without help of your big brother Finland, you know?? Finland helps the finno ugric brothers in Estonia with money and economy. But we Latvians have no big brother and we have it more difficult but we are no shit country --- dont give others the wrong impression. THANKS!!
    I was just saying that Estonia didn't take big loans, like Latvia did. The Estonian government did put some funds aside, during the economic boom years. While Latvia did invest/spend it all.

Reading the last part of your post, I get an impression that Estonia is like a Finnish colony in your eyes... Which is very false.

You sure of that? Ireland had the highest GDP per capita in the EU. It was, in short, the richest EU country. ANY economy can go to shreds when a housing bubble bursts. I am absolutely certain that massive price increases/inflation will ensue in Estonia when/if it joins the euro, and that house prices will keep on increasing ... you will see. You can make a note of my post here, and check back in 5 years or so. It won't be a pretty sight.
    Even if there is an economic crisis, then the damage cannot be massive if the government hasn't got massive debt and has funds put aside for the bad days. This is where Estonia prevails with its conservative policy.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Even if there is an economic crisis, then the damage cannot be massive if the government hasn't got massive debt and has funds put aside for the bad days. This is where Estonia prevails with its conservative policy.
    Let me explain: property price increase > property bubble > mortgage increases > property prices crash > banks run out of liquidity > government underwrites bank debt created by bubble/crash > Estonian taxpayer saddled for billions of euros in order to save collapsing banks

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Good luck Estonia, I think you're gonna need it

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Death
    Ethnicity
    Death
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

In all essence the Euro is only as strong as the weakest components, so the addiction of Estonia would help it on the short term. But I hope that Estonia does not get a bad hang-over from it in the long run.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Let me explain: property price increase > property bubble > mortgage increases > property prices crash > banks run out of liquidity > government underwrites bank debt created by bubble/crash > Estonian taxpayer saddled for billions of euros in order to save collapsing banks
    There's one problem all "Estonian banks" are owned by Swedes or Danes. Thus any bubble/crash resulting in "collapsing banks" will mean that Swedish and Danish taxpayers would bail out their banks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information