Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do Roman Catholics turn to Heathery or Protestantism if they felt RC failed them..?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Default Why do Roman Catholics turn to Heathery or Protestantism if they felt RC failed them..?

When they could turn to Orthodox Christianity, the best form of Christianity?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Because Pravoslavie doesn't proselytise. It's also not so commonly found in the countries where this is occuring. Countries on the religious border often have long standing ethnoreligiious feuds that prevent conversion too.

HOWEVER, there has been some conversion to Orthodoxy from disenchanted Anglicans in England. Never heard of Catholics doing it though.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Libre View Post
    When they could turn to Orthodox Christianity, the best form of Christianity?
    Because I doubt many of them even know that the Orthodox Church exists, otherwise it would be a no-brainer. Or they are just fed up with Christianity altogether. There also is the fact that many people just assume that if Christianity is full of it, then so must be all other religions. People in America at least, are woefully ignorant of religions, even their own.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    Or they are just fed up with Christianity altogether.
    Yeah most likely.

I do have some relatives who became Orthodox after Pope Benedict became Pope, though, because they hated him. I think it's safe to say he's generally not well-liked among Canadian Catholics.

However, being an Acadian, I believe Catholicism is part of our identity, so I was kind of upset when my sister converted to the United Church of Canada (Protestant sect). Orthodox and Protestant isn't part of our culture. Go Catholic or bust. Although I would give a preference to Orthodox Christianity, since it is closer to Catholicism and because Protestantism is the exact opposite, since it was mainly Protestants who stomped all over our human rights from the mid 18th century to the mid 20th.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

The number of RCs turning to Protestantism must be minuscule? Here at least, those who reject the religion tend to just become agnostics/atheists etc (I suppose in the US, which has its proselytising aggressive Fundie culture, things are different). There aren't many Protestant-born Protestants in Europe these days, never mind ex-Catholic Protestants.

Ex-Catholic Heathens are huge in number, but I don't think it's a rejection of Catholicism per se that drives them to this, but a rejection of Christianity altogether.

As for why they don't turn to Orthodoxy, it's been addressed - they don't make it their business to seek converts and most Catholics aren't familiar with them.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wynfrith View Post
    The number of RCs turning to Protestantism must be minuscule? Here at least, those who reject the religion tend to just become agnostics/atheists etc (I suppose in the US, which has its proselytising aggressive Fundie culture, things are different). There aren't many Protestant-born Protestants in Europe these days, never mind ex-Catholic Protestants.
    There actually were quite a few Catholic-Protestant conversions in my hometown. So many that CBC did an episode of the Fifth Estate about it, and there is also a book about it too (which I will read when my mother finishes with it). Basically, it's because of the sex scandals but this was before they made international news, but locals here know about it. I remember being in school, and in between classes even us teenagers were going on about this clergyman diddling so-and-so, and people tried to raise the alarm with the authorities but the cases always went to court and the clergyman was always found not guilty. This was in the early 90s, and it didn't get revealed until a year or so ago (that's when the mass conversions started). It was just the corruption in the diocese that made people angry, and I mean, it's such un-Catholic or un-Christian behaviour and people got fed up with the lack of action.

Not just that but the church was using money that parishoners donated, money that's supposed to go to help the poor, to pay the legal fees of these clergy who went to court, when it should have went out of the clergyman's salary. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I grew up in Northeastern Nova Scotia, which has historically been very Catholic, the main ethnic groups are Acadians, Scots who ancestors came from the Isle of Barra, and Mi'kmaq Indians, all very Catholic people. Really it was mostly Scots who converted over, many Acadians and Mi'kmaq stayed Catholic. I think if Protestants were willing to have mass in French and open churches on reserves, that would change, though, because folks in both cultures are equally pissed.
    Last edited by Grumpy Cat; 01-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    CBC did an episode of the Fifth Estate about it
    I should mention, when I watched that episode of The Fifth Estate, it sent chills down my spine. There were a few people I knew, on that documentary who admitted they were molested and I had no idea, and also, an older Acadian lady, who donated a lot of money, thinking it was going to help orphans in Africa, finding out that all her money went to pay a lawyer.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    Because I doubt many of them even know that the Orthodox Church exists, otherwise it would be a no-brainer. Or they are just fed up with Christianity altogether. There also is the fact that many people just assume that if Christianity is full of it, then so must be all other religions. People in America at least, are woefully ignorant of religions, even their own.
    I might also add that the Orthodox Church does not in many cases fulfil the selfish individualism, anti-ritualism, anti-authoritarianism, and primitivist anti-intellectualism that often drives departure from Roman Catholicism.

I will say, though, that not all the people that depart Roman Catholicism do so just because the Church ceases to work within their self-constructed religions belief system; in some cases there is a very genuine spiritual conversion of the heart, and I have known converts of this genuine type who have gone over to Greek Orthodoxy, Folkish Heathenry, and to other faiths (I knew someone who was seriously considering joining the CJCLDS but I don't know if he went through with it). While a minority, the conversion experience is too significant for the small number of persons who experience it to just discount it and say "well why not just join x if you don't like y".

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Old Stockade American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

I have known a few women, who have converted to the Orthodox church after marrying into the Old Believers and one who married an Aleut man.
    I have also had a few friends become catholic on their own free will.

The form of Orthodoxy that these Old Believers practice could not be tolerated by the average protestant American. They don't seem to place much importance on having fun.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wynfrith View Post
    Ex-Catholic Heathens are huge in number, but I don't think it's a rejection of Catholicism per se that drives them to this, but a rejection of Christianity altogether.
    ^This.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information