Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Gallery attacked over 'insulting' artworks

A gallery showing inflammatory images of veiled Muslims, including a bare-breasted woman partially clad in a burqa, is under police surveillance after being attacked earlier this week.

Windows and doors at the SaLon Gallery in west London were smashed after a series of abusive, anonymous phone calls and angry protests about the images from Muslims. The gallery has complained to police.

The solo exhibition of paintings by Sarah Maple includes a veiled woman holding a pig, which is interpreted as a flagrant disregard of the Islamic ban on eating pork. The show – entitled "This Artist Blows" – also includes two self-portraits: one of Maple wearing a headscarf has an image of Kate Moss's naked breast attached to it; another shows Maple in a T-shirt bearing the slogan "I love jihad". In another, a veiled Muslim woman wears a badge that says "I love orgasms".

Last night, Maple, a 23-year-old of Kenyan and British parentage, defended her work, saying she had not meant to cause offence but to explore her Britishness and her Muslim faith. She voiced concern about her safety and said she hoped the exhibition of 39 pictures, which opened this month, would not be taken down before its official closing date of 23 November.

"I do think some people have just reacted to my work without thinking about the concepts behind it," she said. "I'm a practising Muslim and initially, when I started making the work, it was really personal, about my background with my father being British and my mother who is a Muslim and how I felt growing up. I was exploring the question of fusing those two together and whether it could be done."

Maple, from Sussex, has upset the Islamic world before. An exhibition by her earlier this year showed Muslim women in provocative poses, including one suggestively sucking on a banana. She won the Saatchi Prize last year for her self-portraits, some of which showed her in a headscarf smoking a cigarette. "People interpreted it as being related to sex, and that it was a post-sex light up," she said.
    Further reading:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...ks-978554.html
    http://www.germanic-worlds.com

Germanic, Celtic & European ethnic preservation

Last Online
    12-07-2009 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch/Low-Saxon
    Ancestry
    The Saxon Realm
    Politics
    Folkish-Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

LOL.

It never stopted amazing me how backwards they are
    http://dietsland.informe.com/forum/

FORUM FOR DUTCH, AFRIKANER AND GERMANIC NATIONALISM

Last Online
    02-19-2009 @ 06:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    I'm an American of European descent
    Ancestry
    I'm of English, Scot-Irish, German, Dutch & Italian heritage.
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saksenland View Post
    LOL.

It never stopted amazing me how backwards they are

I totally agree.

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

In all fairness, I can imagine how we would feel if the art display showed a blonde girl in a traditional folk outfit wearing a badge that said, "I love socking black men." Or if she had dreadlocks spilling down and her traditional clothes were meshed with reggae style. Or what about if it showed her looking Europid at the top, and had the bare breasts of a black woman posted over her with a caption reading "Inside I am black." And even more, what if we discovered that the artists claimed to be one of us, and racially proud at that. What if she claimed the art was her way of "finding her identity, and discovering who she was in a multicultural world."

I can honestly say that I would not appreciate an art exhibit which mocked my culture. Nor would I be very accepting of a female who chose to portray herself in an image which is contrary to the things which I believe in.

By that same token, I can understand why the muslims are so angry. I would be.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

My thing is that I have no problem with them being upset. I don't blame them. I would have a problem with someone making blasphemous art related to Christianity. I was offended with the Virgin Mary with the dung art that was in New York City some years ago. I don't think you handle protests well by attacking property, etc. There's a way to do responsible protests. I do have to say though that I think people need to understand that when they do things critical of Islam that there will be some sort of response such as this or much worse. When those cartoons were printed in the Danish papers, etc., we saw all sorts of violence, including murders around the globe. We need to stand up to them, but you need to do more than just do cartoons or paintings that are critical of them.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

The real issue is not being angry or upset. It is the choice of behavior as a result of the perceived offense that speaks volumes.

The Motoons were a great illustration of how Muslims react to a perceived offense: by rioting, killing and issuing fatwas. How many of them do you think have actually even seen the cartoons? Most likely only a few.

How many Christians went bersek and killed someone because they
    were offended by that Virgin Mary-dung art exhibition in NY? Zero.

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dragonslayer
    I don't think you handle protests well by attacking property, etc. There's a way to do responsible protests.

I agree.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    The real issue is not being angry or upset. It is the choice of behavior as a result of the perceived offense that speaks volumes.

The Motoons were a great illustration of how Muslims react to a perceived offense: by rioting, killing and issuing fatwas. How many of them do you think have actually even seen the cartoons? Most likely only a few.

How many Christians went bersek and killed someone because they
    were offended by that Virgin Mary-dung art exhibition in NY? Zero.

Exactly. I remember when the Pope did that speech featuring that passage from that Byzantine emperor. Basically saying that Islam was a violent religion. How did the religion of peace show that wasn't true? They went out destroyed property such as churches and killed some people.

There is a way to protest things that are offensive to you. Many Muslims overreact and get very violent. They don't understand peaceful protests.

If Christians took action against every anti-Christian thing in the USA, Europe, etc. then they would really get violent. It's not like they burned down that museum or killed that artist.

Thread Information