Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Greek AncestryDNA... 30% Slavic.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    20%+, yes. By contrast, I have yet to see a Sicilian score even 1%, and of the one Greek islander I saw, they scored none either but they did score British and Irish.
    I don't know what's your point?
    One can not expect Cretans and Northern Greeks to be similar considering the geography, Sicilians do not even come in question.
    And just because this person score results similar to the neighbors over the border doesn't mean he is not Greek.
    And although considering the geography of the region it is normal for a person to score some Eastern European, your post sounds as if you have discovered Aliens in Greece.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-06-2022 @ 08:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orange
    Country
    European Union
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,409
    Given: 1,009

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Keraunos View Post
    You can tell just by looking at islanders that they are the most native. Their features are very different from any other Balkan country (including Greek mainland). Which is why it was a surprise to me when I heard that they had some MENA admixture. The questionable looking ones were probably Turks settled there during Ottoman era IMO, though they are an incredibly small minority. If the MENA admixture is consistent or common among islanders than I would assume it most likely entered the gene pool a long time ago, before the Ottomans and possibly even the Byzantines (maybe Phoenician?).
    There were no Turks left at the Greek islands, except for a minority in Rhodes. There were Anatolian Greeks who settled there though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,895
    Given: 26,311

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrentis View Post
    There were no Turks left at the Greek islands, except for a minority in Rhodes. There were Anatolian Greeks who settled there though

yeah, i heard in the big cities of western crete anatolian Greeks used to be 20-25%

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Orange
    Country
    European Union
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    yeah, i heard in the big cities of western crete anatolian Greeks used to be 20-25%
    There are Anatolian Greeks in Heraklion too

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,895
    Given: 26,311

0 Not allowed!

There are Anatolian Greeks in Heraklion too

indeed. I think Heraklion received the most in number but in terms of percentage I don't know how it compares to Khania and rethymno.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 10:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Albanian American
    Ancestry
    Albanian from Okshtuni Vogel, Diber, Albania
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1029* (terminal founder clade not yet defined)
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized Paleo-Atlantid
    Politics
    Fuck It
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Non Denominational Muslim
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 1,855

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Keraunos View Post
    I think North-East Italy, Croatia, Bosnia have some common admixture that lumps them together. I don't think it's an 'Eastern Europe' category. I don't know much about the categories though so I would wait for Dibran to elaborate.

Thanks man
    This is the description given for the general Europe East Cluster cluster:

Europe East
    Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Also found in: Germany, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Estonia, Bulgaria

The Europe East region stretches from the Baltic Sea in the north to the borders of Greece in the south. Throughout history, the region has stood at the crossroads—and often in the crosshairs—of Europe and Central Asia. Despite constant invasions and occupations over the centuries, the hardy inhabitants have, nevertheless, managed to persevere.

Early population origins
    Prior to the Roman Empire's conquests and expansion between 35 B.C. and 400 A.D., the Eastern European region was largely populated by Slavic and Baltic tribes in the north, and Celtic, Thracian and Illyrian tribes in the south. The Roman Empire conquered the Thracians in 46 A.D., but the Balts in the north managed to avoid falling under Rome's sphere of dominance.

The fate of the Illyrians is unclear, but some linguistic scholars believe the Albanian language may be a form of Illyrian or Thracian. Whether that means the Albanians are descended from the ancient Illyrians is a matter of debate. The fact remains that their origins cannot be conclusively determined and their language cannot be definitively classified, except to say that it is Indo-European and predates the Slavic migrations of the medieval period.

Post Roman Empire
    Roman control of the East European region was relatively weak, partly because the population was largely rural. After the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, the southern area of the region, namely Bulgaria and Romania, remained part of the Byzantine Empire, while most of the remainder was overrun by invasions of Huns, Alans and other nomadic tribes from the Pontic steppe. Slavic tribes, possibly displaced by the invasions, spread south toward the Balkans.

The Avars and Bulgars, most likely Turkic tribes from Central Asia, arrived in the 7th century. These tribes established kingdoms called Khaganates in the south Balkans, pushing the Byzantine border south, almost to the Aegean Sea. Although subjugated by outsiders, the native Slavic tribes' culture persisted. The invaders were assimilated and “Slavicized,” creating new Slavic national identities.

In the area that now includes Belarus, Ukraine and western Russia, a confederation of Slavic tribes known as the Rus' established a kingdom with its capital in Kiev. Legend has it—though some scholars disagree—that the Rus' were ruled by a small group of Scandinavian warriors called the Varangians. Scandinavian or not, the Rus' were entirely Slavicized by the 10th century. Russia and Belarus are named after this kingdom, and both claim them as cultural ancestors.

The Magyar, a Uralic tribe from the northern part of the Asian steppe, settled in the Carpathian Basin around 900 A.D. and established the Kingdom of Hungary. However, unlike the Avars and Bulgars, the Hungarians resisted Slavic influence and maintained their language, which is closely related to Finnish and Estonian.

Prince Árpád crossing the Carpathians. A detail from The Arrival of the Hungarians by Árpád Feszty's, now displayed at the Ópusztaszer National Memorial Site in Hungary.
    Mongol attacks
    Led by two grandsons of Ghengis Khan, the Mongol raids and invasions of Eastern Europe were violent and fearsome. Medieval European warfare tactics were ill-suited to fight the mounted archers of the invading horde. The kingdoms of Rus' fell to the Mongols, who swept quickly across the steppe and into the Carpathian Mountains. Hungary was the main target of the Mongol campaign in Eastern Europe and was poorly prepared to defend itself after centuries of relative peace. Nearly half of the population was killed. In the terror and panic, refugees fled the Mongol armies in numbers never before seen. The Mongol Empire expanded to include Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Hungary and Bulgaria.

Mongol Cavalrymen Engage the Enemy, illustration from early 14th-century manuscript. Bibiotheque nationale de France, Paris.

Mongol invasion, about 1240 A.D.
    Baltic crusades

Although the Baltic region wasn't attacked by the Mongols, it was invaded by Germanic crusaders, who introduced Christianity to the local tribes.

The rise of the Ottoman Empire
    In the late 1300s, Ottoman Turks vanquished the remains of the Byzantine Empire. They expanded into Eastern Europe, eventually conquering Bulgaria and the Serbian Empire of the south Balkans. The Turks met fierce resistance in Wallachia and Hungary, however. Vlad III (“the Impaler”), the Wallachian prince of “Dracula” fame, was one of the Ottomans' greatest foes at the time and played an important part in preserving the culture of Romania. The Magyars of Hungary, meanwhile, were better prepared to resist the Ottomans, having built heavy fortifications against a feared second Mongol invasion.

By around 1500 or so, the Europe East region had evolved into three stable, primary groups. In the south, the Balkan region would remain under Ottoman rule for the next 300 years. Hungary aligned with Austria, creating the formidable Austro-Hungarian Empire, which endured until World War I. The Austro-Hungarian Empire became the largest state in Europe (excluding the Russian Empire). In the Baltic region, Lithuania and Poland joined together, forming a commonwealth government.

Europe East today
    Today the Europe East DNA profile is detected most commonly in Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania and Latvia, but is also detected in smaller portions in many neighboring regions. The regional languages are predominantly Slavic, with the exceptions of Estonian and Hungarian (both Uralic languages), Romanian (a holdover from the days of the Western Roman Empire) and Albanian.

Did You Know?
    In the decades following World War II, the majority of the Eastern European region was known as the Eastern Bloc, which was politically aligned with the former Soviet Union (USSR). Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic states were absorbed into the USSR, while Poland, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary and East Germany were members of the Warsaw Pact, a military defense alliance among eight communist states.

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Glory Boy and Ukrainian
    Ethnicity
    93.75% White European, 6.25% Serbian
    Ancestry
    Shoshi (Dukagjin)
    Country
    Albania
    Politics
    Independence for the Caucasus
    Hero
    Chief Keef
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,342

0 Not allowed!

Slavs settles in Greece during the Middle Ages.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Orange
    Country
    European Union
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    Slavs settles in Greece during the Middle Ages.
    But they were eventually kicked out by the Byzantines. This man scoring 30% Eastern Euro doesn't make him a Slavic invader, he could simply have Bulgarian ancestry or something

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Glory Boy and Ukrainian
    Ethnicity
    93.75% White European, 6.25% Serbian
    Ancestry
    Shoshi (Dukagjin)
    Country
    Albania
    Politics
    Independence for the Caucasus
    Hero
    Chief Keef
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,342

0 Not allowed!

But they were eventually kicked out by the Byzantines. This man scoring 30% Eastern Euro doesn't make him a Slavic invader, he could simply have Bulgarian ancestry or something

whats the source they were expelled? It doesn’t seem likely that they a peasant people’s were expelled when they worked for a Byzantine economy, why would the Byzantines expel them?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Orange
    Country
    European Union
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    whats the source they were expelled? It doesn’t seem likely that they a peasant people’s were expelled when they worked for a Byzantine economy, why would the Byzantines expel them?
    "During the early 7th century, Constans II made the first mass-expulsions of Slavs from the Greek peninsula to the Balkans and central Asia Minor. Justinian II defeated and destroyed most of the Sclaviniae, and moved as many as 110,000–200,000 Slavs from the Greek peninsula to Bithynia, while he enlisted some 30,000 Slavs in his army.[7]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Greece

Those who worked for the Byzantine economy were probably later settlers and not the invaders.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information