Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Default Latin Spanish or Castilian Spanish

So I've been thinking which version of the Spanish language I should learn and use. I would want to use the original, unmolested version which is Castilian Spanish but I'm not all too sure how practical would it be if it's not compatible with Latin Spanish in New Spain.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

1 Not allowed!

Castilian Spanish of course. The purer version of Spanish. I think that if people want to learn proper English they should at all cost try to avoid learning American English but instead go for British English.

The original language is always the purest. The only example of an exception is probably Dutch since in the colonies they still use words and expressions that we stopped using quite some time ago. Another beautiful example of that is Afrikaans.. although the spelling has been corrupted (I hate the word) over the centuries.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Batavi View Post
    Castilian Spanish of course. The purer version of Spanish. I think that if people want to learn proper English they should at all cost try to avoid learning American English but instead go for British English.

I'm not sure whether the difference between Latin Spanish and Castilian Spanish is minimal like British English and American English. If it's minimal and is largely mutually intelligible then I will go for Castilian Spanish, if not, Latin Spanish.

The original language is always the purest. The only example for it is probably Dutch since in the colonies they still use words and expressions that we stopped using quite some time ago. Another beautiful example of that is Afrikaans.. although the spelling has been corrupted (I hate the word) over the centuries.
    Of course but it's always interesting how the original language evolves into something different, unique but remain similar.

Last Online
    02-14-2015 @ 01:48 PM
    The true West Europe, Core of the Atlantic Facade.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtibero, Old Westerner, Atlantic Facade and 100% pure Iberian.
    Ethnicity
    Cantabri, Tierruca.
    Ancestry
    Mother Spain, father Spain ect....Until the first amoeba.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Conquistador 100% Pure Iberian
    Politics
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Religion
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,607
    Given: 3,171

1 Not allowed!

Castillian, the other variants are an abomination.

Espada tengo. Lo demás, Dios lo remedie.

In the west almost all Spain had been subjugated, except that part which adjoins the cliffs where the Pyrenees end and is washed by the nearer waters of the ocean. Here two powerful nations, the Cantabrians and the Asturians, lived in freedom from the rule of Rome.")
    — Lucius Anneus Florus , Epitome de T. Livio Bellorum omnium annorum DCC Libri duo Bellum Cantabricum et Asturicum

Ethnicity of the Celts/Iberian. Tribes: Avariginos, Blendi, Concanos, Coniscos, Orgenomescos, Plentusios, Tamáricos and Vadinienses.--->http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...40#post3047240

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CaballoLoco View Post
    Castillian, the other variants are an abomination.
    Care to elaborate?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

... but it's just English you're talking about! Why put a qualifier on it? Only the colonial ones should require that.

Kind of suggests that the forms spoken in Britain are identical, too, whereas there is FAR more diversity here than between 'Standard English' and colonial varieties.
    The original language is always the purest. The only example of an exception is probably Dutch since in the colonies they still use words and expressions that we stopped using quite some time ago.
    No. There are aspects of New World and Antipodean English that recall various archaic features of the standard in the mother country. This is almost a RULE, indeed. Whenever a language divides, you'll get bits in each that seem archaic to the other.

Mind you, England is such a regional place that there's nothing in the colonies that hasn't ALSO survived here in a dialect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libre View Post
    I'm not sure whether the difference between Latin Spanish and Castilian Spanish is minimal like British English and American English. If it's minimal and is largely mutually intelligible then I will go for Castilian Spanish, if not, Latin Spanish.
    It is minimal.
    Last edited by Osweo; 01-24-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-07-2011 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ireland, England
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

1 Not allowed!

I'd go for Castilian without question. Aside from the fact that I'd obviously prefer to the learn the Spanish of the Spaniards, whenever I catch Latin Spanish on television etc. (it tends to be Mexican) it always sounds so...sleazy? Whiny? Not pleasant to listen to, anyway.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

I would want to use the original, unmolested version which is Castilian Spanish
    Do you seriously think Castilian Spanish -or British English, or any other European standard of a colonial language- has remained unmolested?

[FONT="Tahoma"]Castilian Spanish of course. The purer version of Spanish.
    The original language is always the purest. The only example of an exception is probably Dutch since in the colonies they still use words and expressions that we stopped using quite some time ago.
    There is no such thing as a purest form, if by purest you mean unchanged. All variants develop in their own way, and ones get more accepted than others in particular areas, that's the simple truth. What you say about Dutch is also appliable to English, Spanish, French, Portuguese... you'll find words that are considered archaic in Europe being used in the Americas.

First, there is no such thing as a "Latin Spanish". There are several Latin Spanishes. Better choose between either the Castilian or Mexican parastandard.

Second, Castilian Spanish is the standard form of Spanish in Spain, but the whole Southern population speaks Southern Spanish.

Third, yes, it is mutually intelligible, at least in educated speech. Heavy use of slang and localisms would complicate things though, just like an American deciphering a drunk Scotsman.

Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberic
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Visigoths/Lusitanians
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Alpnid/Atlanto-Med
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

The original language is always the purest. The only example of an exception is probably Dutch since in the colonies they still use words and expressions that we stopped using quite some time ago. Another beautiful example of that is Afrikaans.. although the spelling has been corrupted (I hate the word) over the centuries.
    I agree, go and learn the pure form of the language. But be warned that Castilian Spanish is drastically different from South American Spanish. It's more than just an accent, and it is hard for Castilians to understand SA Spanish. On paper it looks more or less the same, but when people talk it might as well be another language.

Take for instance me; I can speak fluent Portuguese and I can have a good conversation in Portuguese. However whenever I meet Brazilians, I can hardly understand a word of what they are saying. So it may not be of much use to you unless you plan to move to Spain. My recommendation is if you want to use it more often in the United States, learn South American Spanish. But if you want the pure form of the language, then go Castilian.

Lustrando. En paciente espera.
    Last Online
    10-11-2011 @ 01:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtíbero con sazón Visigoda Toledana
    Ethnicity
    Castellano y Espańol.
    Ancestry
    Cristianos Viejos Ranciosos.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Religion
    La Sangre.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

0 Not allowed!

Castilian spanish was forged in the craddle of reconquista and ages of steel, honor and war, and is the original one that speak the true sons and pure descendants of Castilla or their forgers, it is "rare" since most of the speakers of spanish don't speak Castilian, but "latino" as they call it, mexican, ecuadorian, argentinian, cuban, guinean...

When you learn a language, something changes in you, your brain (You) changes and you adquire, in some way, traits of the speakers, some kind of symbyosis.

Election:

A) CASTILIAN:

B) OTHER SPANISH

Last edited by Don; 01-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Antes de subir al cadalso, Juan de Padilla se dirigió a su camarada Juan Bravo con unas célebres palabras: "Seńor Bravo: ayer era día de pelear como caballero...hoy es día de morir como cristiano". Ante esto, Juan Bravo pidió ser ejecutado antes que Padilla, "…para no ver la muerte de tan buen caballero". Horas más tarde, también fue ejecutado y decapitado el salmantino Francisco Maldonado.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information