Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,518

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Yes, quite interesting...
    Maybe look up the Ship of Theseus paradox.
    It is about an old ship. It falls apart, so every day you take out one piece, put it on a pile and replace it with a new one.
    After a year all the parts have been replaced and you wonder if you can rebuild the old ship with the stacked up parts.
    So, in the end, you end up with two exactly the same ships.

"What does this have to do with reincarnation?" practically, every day your body sheds a part of its cells. Even your braincells will be replaced at around 10 (I think I remember correctly) years.
    Ie. you always change. Now you may think "but wait, my body may change, but my soul always stays the same!" and maybe you are right. But consider yourself when you were 10 years old. and look at yourself now. Your personality/soul also changed. So not just your body but also your mind changed.
    Therefor there is no way to say that the person which "you" were 10 years ago, is still the same which you are now.
    kinda like your old self (literally) phisically and mentally passed away and now is reincarnated in your current self.
    I think brain and nerve cells are only kind of cells that are never replaced, they are just dying out our whole life. That is because if they are to be replaced, we would not be able to have memories.

Now this story reminds me of question that medicine has no answer. Why our cells don't regenerate in the same shape as they used to be in previous cell's life circle. Every regeneration circle of our body cells fails to repeat previous cells forms, so at one point in our lives, after full maturity, the body getting older, instead to keep the same shape forever if the cells are regenerating all time. They are like programmed to fail over time.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-29-2018 @ 06:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Region
    Finnmark
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,937
    Given: 2,460

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    I think brain and nerve cells are only kind of cells that are never replaced, they are just dying out our whole life. That is because if they are to be replaced, we would not be able to have memories.

Now this story reminds me of question that medicine has no answer. Why our cells don't regenerate in the same shape as they used to be in previous cell's life circle. Every regeneration circle of our body cells fails to repeat previous cells forms, so at one point in our lives, after full maturity, the body getting older, instead to keep the same shape forever if the cells are regenerating all time. They are like programmed to fail over time.
    Found this on Reddit (FWIW)

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...hout_changing/

Neurons, the brain cells that current brain science considers responsible for the vast majority of computation in the brain, (mostly) don't get replaced. Other cells divide, age, and die at relatively fast rates (skin cells very quickly, bone cells less quickly but still to the point that they'll replace themselves over time as you point out), but neurogenesis happens almost exclusively in the early development of an organism, and until recently it was thought that humans completely stopped generating new neurons in adulthood and survived with the same neurons for the rest of their lives. We now think that there are limited cases of adult neurogenesis, but most of your neurons in adulthood will be the same throughout your lifespan.

The brain's way of influencing 'who you are' need not rely on the same exact cells in the brain any more than other parts of your body need to have the same cells to appear the same and perform the same functions. This is determined by properties of your neural networks, such as the strength of synaptic connections between areas of the brain. Thus, though this is speculative, it's possible that a brain that did cycle through its cells as other organs do could still support a continuous consciousness.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-04-2021 @ 06:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Politics
    -
    Hero
    pulstar
    Religion
    -
    Relationship Status
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,957
    Given: 57,209

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stearsolina View Post
    I was a Native American sorceress.
    are you kidding or did you really see that?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information