Robert E. Lee, St. Nicholas
    Religion
    Christian Identity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 2,119

0 Not allowed!

Default "The Most Irish Town in America?"

Brendan McDonough in Butte, MT. Image posted in The Irish Times.

High in the US Rockies, the one-time mining town of Butte, Montana – Irish-American stronghold and home town of Evel Knievel – is revving up for its annual St Patrick’s Day parade, celebrating links with Cavan, Cork, Kerry and Mayo, writes FRANCIS CURRAN

THEY SAY that Butte, Montana, has the largest St Patrick’s Day parade in the Rockies, but I didn’t know whether it was going to be far removed from the reality of Ireland, a sort of disconnected theme parade. Was the Irishness of the participants merely an imaginary notion? Did they have any real contemporary connection, any awareness of what was going on in Ireland?
    Full story
    Why the Holocaust™ is a Fable.__________Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

I retain copyright to all original content I post on The Apricity. Notice posted on June 13, 2020.
    "Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen!" Martin Luther (1483-1547)

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

My hometown has an Irish neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill

Well, it's more than Irish these days, but you get the idea. Too bad Tipp Hill borders the west side of town, which is basically all blacks and other minorities.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

An antecdote about Tipp Hill, off topic, but I thought it was funny when I read it in the Wikipedia article.

When the city first installed traffic signal lights in 1925, manufactured by Crouse-Hinds Company of Syracuse, they placed one at a major intersection on Tipperary Hill at the corner of Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue. This was the main business district of the area.

The "Green-on-Top" or "Red-on-Bottom" Traffic LightLocal Irish youths, incensed that anyone would dare to put the "British" red above the "Irish" green, threw stones at the signal and broke the red light. The city replaced it, but the Irish soon threw more stones and broke the replacement.

John "Huckle" Ryan, then alderman of the Tipperary Hill section, requested that Tipperary Hill's first traffic signal be hung with the green above the red in deference to its Irish residents. This was done, but soon the State of New York stepped in with regulations. City officials reversed the colors. This despite assurances from local residents that what they were doing was "against nature and would never stand the test of time."

Once again, the red topped the green and officials noted that the signal light began to fail on a regular basis. The local press reported it "was the work of the Little People." Officials doubted this theory, but still were reported to have commented that the marksmanship of those responsible for shattering each red light they installed was "nothing short of miraculous." As fast as a red lens was replaced, it disintegrated.

A contingent of residents went to the city fathers including local businessmen John R. O'Reilley, Dinty Gilmartin, Jim Kernan, Dr. Raymond Devine, and Isadore Wichman. They were members of a group called Tipperary Hill Protective Association.

On March 17, 1928, Commissioner Bradley handled the meeting with the Tipp Hill residents. It was explained to him carefully, "Directing traffic's one thing, but an insult's another, and a thing like that on a day like this is an insult." When the commissioner did not quite get the point, it was explained to him carefully, "It's that light at Tompkins and Milton. If you don't do something about it at once, you won't have a light there tonight."

When the commissioner questioned what the problem with the light was, he was told, "Why, what do you think is the matter with it? Here it is St. Patrick's Day and darned if that light isn't flashing; first green, which is all right, and then orange, and then red. It's got to stop. I want to tell you this and I want you to get it straight and don't get excited about it. That light isn't going to stand there all day flashing its red and orange all over Tipperary Hill. Not while there's any stones on the hill."

The city leaders relented, to a point, and green was given the place of honor, however, they would not remove the traffic signal despite the members request. To this day, the green light is still above the red.

Throughout the years, the local youths are remembered fondly by Tipp Hill residents as the Stonethrower's.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Talking

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You know I've through Tipp Hill so many times, I've never even noticed the traffic lights are different.

Last Online
    03-28-2014 @ 12:29 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    macho ibérico
    Ethnicity
    coronadearagonense
    Ancestry
    modern day Illergeti
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Catalunya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

If with America you also include Canada, then it's Newfoundland:

Newfoundland: The Most Irish Place Outside of Ireland

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Irish-Americans is one of the largest ethnic groups in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American

The population of Irish-descended Americans is probably much higher given that there're many Americans who've got Irish ancestry who don't identify with Ireland (like me; I just call myself English/Anglo).

Last Online
    02-08-2013 @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Leinster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Irish-Americans is one of the largest ethnic groups in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American

The population of Irish-descended Americans is probably much higher given that there're many Americans who've got Irish ancestry who don't identify with Ireland (like me; I just call myself English/Anglo).
    There was a programme on tv here not long ago which stated the exact opposite, that perhaps more than half of those claiming Catholic Irish ancestry in the States are in fact of Protestant Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots descent, they went into some detail and used some famous examples. Either way there was obviously a significant influence, as shown by some of the names above

John R. O'Reilley, Dinty Gilmartin, Jim Kernan, Dr. Raymond Devine, and Isadore Wichman.
    Aside from Isador Wichman they all sound like everyday names here, even have a Dinty

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    There was a programme on tv here not long ago which stated the exact opposite, that perhaps more than half of those claiming Catholic Irish ancestry in the States are in fact of Protestant Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots descent, they went into some detail and used some famous examples.
    As far as I know I don't have any Catholics in the family tree, so you might be right.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2012 @ 01:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Island Race
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Nordomediterranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    The same applies to English Americans.
    I say...

We can't have you anyway, feck tha' !!!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information