Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of African Gene Flow into Southern Europeans, Levantines, and Jews

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castilla la Vieja
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    nationalism
    Religion
    España
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,979
    Given: 1,061

0 Not allowed!

But this study is only K=3 (sub-saharan, Utah-whites and Chinese) which means the sub-saharan component includes other stuff, at least in Caucasians (mid-east, east-afr, north-afr, etc). In a K=11 like that of Dienekes the spaniards have only 0.1% sub-saharan, which is the same as that of British. Or the K=14 of Rhazib with 0% sub-saharan or the K=8 of Eurogenes with also 0%.
    Last edited by Ibericus; 04-25-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia View Post
    But this study is only K=3 (sub-saharan, Utah-whites and Chinese) which means the sub-saharan component includes other stuff, at least in Caucasians (mid-east, east-afr, north-afr, etc). In a K=11 like that of Dienekes the spaniards have only 0.1% sub-saharan, which is the same as that of British. Or the K=14 of Harappa project with 0% sub-saharan.
    Obviously most of the "African admixture" in Europeans is Caucasoid from white Africa and semi-Caucasoid from East Africa, such numbers for RECENT WEST AFRICAN admixture are ridiculous.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    H. s. sapiens
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,534
    Given: 2,302

0 Not allowed!

This is manipulation for their own interests. Thousands of scientific papers are biased by their authors' beliefs or intentions - this one would be no surprise. Now look at some of the members of the research team:

http://genepath.med.harvard.edu/~reich/Reich_People.htm

What would one expect from this? They're doing their job to undermine European preservation thought as saying "you have to accept massive immigration into your countries because you have this or that".

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,032

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Veleda View Post
    I am sorry Loki, you can't post a text where you say that ALL the Southern Europeans have more than 1% of African genes and then a scheme that says that in Sardinians and Northern Italians African genes are 0,2% and in Southern Italy and Spain a mere 1%. The only one that seems to have a relevant African admixture (more than 1%) is Portugal and Greece is not considered. Where is Greece?
    Polako claims that ALL Italians have SSA admixture.

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...&postcount=154

Quote Originally Posted by Polako

All Italians have some Sub-Saharan African admixture, including Swiss Italians. So if you're Sicilian, I wouldn't even have to scan more than a couple of chromosomes. It really wouldn't be any trouble.
    It's not an insult or anything, just of historical interest. Nothing "wrong" about it.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

I'm pretty sure the SSA admixture is either noise, or perhaps a genetic similarity. There may be some admixture, but I doubt it's in ALL people.

A disease found in Southern Europeans and Levantines (not sure about Jews), thalassemia, is very similar to sickle cell, and maybe a similar gene is responsible, and shows up as an SSA marker on genetic tests.

But bringing up Levantines, I read that SSA gene flow comes from ports in the Levant being important in the Trans-Saharan slave trade. Again, though, I don't think would be in all people from that region. Frequency would probably be quite small.

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    I'm pretty sure the SSA admixture is either noise, or perhaps a genetic similarity. There may be some admixture, but I doubt it's in ALL people.

A disease found in Southern Europeans and Levantines (not sure about Jews), thalassemia, is very similar to sickle cell, and maybe a similar gene is responsible, and shows up as an SSA marker on genetic tests.

But bringing up Levantines, I read that SSA gene flow comes from ports in the Levant being important in the Trans-Saharan slave trade. Again, though, I don't think would be in all people from that region. Frequency would probably be quite small.
    Also that's related to what I'm always saying, namely that genflow and genetic drift are two things, but selection is another.

It is quite obvious that certain blood traits were selected positive for example in Malaria regions, if that happened, you can no longer use it as a marker to estimate the original admixture, EVEN IF the trait was introduced by genflow from population X.

That is why f.e. Mongoliform traits can be also more common among certain populations than their Mongoloid percentage is and lower in others, depending on the selective pressures working for or against them.

If people ignore selection in these respects - same with bloodgroups - their conclusions must be faulty.

Yet it is perfectly possible and an objective scientific question to analyse how much of an admixture or tendency towards this or that population has.

But IN THIS CASE the methodology is the problem, not just some potential ideological influences which might be there or not - after all scientists too are just humans and they might make mistakes not willingly, but just because they had the wrong idea.

And it seems to me, that this is the case with this study and only the authority of it being produced by "official scientists" gives it some rest of credibility in the face of the facts.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 04-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Lord Protector of Spain, Septimania and Galicia Raikaswinþs's Avatar
    Last Online
    03-10-2017 @ 03:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Escobarian
    Ancestry
    Spain, Poland, Americas
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Taxonomy
    Criollo
    Politics
    San Escobarian Patriot
    Religion
    National Escobarian Church
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,613
    Given: 356

0 Not allowed!

Well, we Iberians are a race of our own, only related to some peoples of southern france and to other spaniards or mixed spaniards in diaspora. That is something we know and are familiar with. "Spain is different" (that applies to our Iberian brothers the portuguese too) We don´t even look truly similar to other meds in the way germanic peoples or some slavic peoples do to each othe (I mean, as a whole, of course there are cases in which a Spaniard has Italian looks and vice'versa) . And I don´t think that an 1% of possible SSA admixcture is the answer to that clear difference. We have more than 1% of norther european admixture and yet we don´t look like germans. Even the blond and red haired spaniards are distinctively Iberian in appearance. There´s more Iberian blood and lineages in North Africa than viceversa
    Last edited by Raikaswinþs; 04-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Last Online
    07-05-2021 @ 04:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    'White American'
    Ethnicity
    Greco-Mediterranean
    Ancestry
    Europe of course
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J2b2*
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Alpo-EasternMed
    Politics
    I don't do politics
    Hero
    Spartacus, Jesse James, Achilles, Avicenna, Zoroaster, Gautama Buddha, Christ, Nietzsche, Hitler
    Religion
    Philosophical and Spiritual Panentheist.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 604
    Given: 140

0 Not allowed!

The study said the Greeks didn't have any admixture and they were outliers on the PCA, or that they threw a wrench in the whole thing and thus discarded them i guess.

"We curated these data using Principal Components Analysis (PCA) [16] (Table S2), with the most important steps being: (i)Removal of 140 individuals as outliers who did not cluster with the bulk of samples of the same group, (ii) Removal of all 8 Greek samples as they separated into sub-clusters in PCA so that it was not clear which of these clusters was most representative, (iii)."

Another thing of note is it is Interesting that the STRUCTURE results came up with some pretty significant differences between their 'new methods'. In the study, the STRUCTURE results had the Sardinians and Northern Italians only 0.2% admixed while using their 'other method' they came out 2.9% admixed...so it's probably best to go with STRUCTURE results for all groups IMO. This type of discrepancy wasn't in other samples like the Palestinians, who are known to have Negroid/Sub Saharan admixture.

But another flaw of this study is the sample sets, they got it from the PORPES database and much of the database got their samples from diaspora populations and almost half of the samples did not have the origin of any grandparents observed.

So anyway, not very conclusive IMO.
    Last edited by Arch Hades; 03-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 04:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ancestry
    Benitez
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Benitez
    Politics
    Europa league
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,495
    Given: 1,101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Veleda View Post
    I am sorry Loki, you can't post a text where you say that ALL the Southern Europeans have more than 1% of African genes and then a scheme that says that in Sardinians and Northern Italians African genes are 0,2% and in Southern Italy and Spain a mere 1%. The only one that seems to have a relevant African admixture (more than 1%) is Portugal and Greece is not considered. Where is Greece?
    No way non Sicilian S.Italians have 1% of african admixture. On Dodecad/Eurogenes we have around 0.5%(most of which is semi-caucasoid East African).

Banned
    Last Online
    01-24-2015 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Netherlands
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    whatever
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66

0 Not allowed!

About the same percentage as Neanderthal ancestry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information