Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Health Canada finds bisphenol A in soft drinks

Health Canada finds bisphenol A in soft drinks

Last Updated: Thursday, March 5, 2009 | 2:09 PM ET CBC News

A Health Canada study of canned pop has found the vast majority of the drinks contain the chemical bisphenol A — a substance that imitates the female hormone estrogen and is banned in baby bottles.

Out of 72 drinks tested, 69 were found to contain BPA at levels below what Health Canada says is the safe upper limit. However, studies in peer-reviewed science journals have indicated that even at very low doses, BPA can increase breast and ovarian cancer cell growth and the growth of some prostate cancer cells in animals.

"There is no risk to Canadians," Health Canada spokesman Stéphane Shank told CBC News. "The average adult weighing approximately 60 kilograms would have to consume over 900 cans per day" to reach the department's safety threshold, he said.

The canned pop Health Canada scientists tested all came from local stores in Ottawa in April 2007 and included diet, non-diet, fruit-flavoured and energy drinks. These drinks represent at least 84 per cent of the market share of soft drinks sold in the country.

The federal department's study was published in January in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry and was posted on Health Canada's website. When asked why the study was not widely publicized, Shank said "it wasn't our intent" to hide it.

The study did not find detectable levels of BPA in two types of tonic water, likely the result of a bittering agent used in tonic drinks that could interfere with BPA extraction. It also found no traceable levels in one energy drink, but did not suggest why that might be.

'Significant biological effects'
    Bisphenol A is a chemical compound found in some hard, clear, lightweight plastics and resins. It's used in the production of various types of food and drink containers, compact discs, electronics and automobile parts, and as a liner in some metal cans, including pop cans.

While Health Canada's position is that there is no health risk in drinking canned pop because the levels of BPA are so far below the safe threshold, critics say BPA — like estrogen — is active in very small amounts.

"The chemical is known to cause significant biological effects at incredibly low levels," Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence, told CBC News. "And this is not the only source of this chemical in our daily lives. If it was the only source, Health Canada might have a leg to stand on."

The beverage industry, on the other hand, questions whether BPA has the impact some studies say it has. "It's asserted this is an estrogen mimicker," Justin Sherwood, president of Refreshments Canada, told CBC News. "We as an industry take our cue from Health Canada."

In October 2008, Canada became the first country in the world to ban the import and sale of polycarbonate baby bottles containing bisphenol A. The federal government also announced it would devote $1.7 million over three years to study the chemical.

Health Canada's ongoing evaluation of bisphenol A has included a review of human and animal studies around the world, in addition to research into how much of the chemical is leaching from consumer products. The research is part of a more comprehensive review of about 200 chemicals the federal government has singled out for more careful study.
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/03/05/popcans.html

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

This article goes right up there with the one I found from Health Canada about "acceptable" levels of melamine in things that babies consume. There should be no acceptable levels of any of this garbage. Thankfully I can count on one hand with fingers left over, just how many servings of pop I've had over the last several years because I do not drink it.

Prolonged genocide, man, call me crazy all you want. If they're not dumbing us down with education "reforms" then they're poisoning us in ways that will affect our children for generations to come. Eventually we'll be left with a nation full of ignorant people who will do whatever they're told because they'll be too stupid and too sick to fight back.
    Last edited by Solwyn; 03-05-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot a word:)

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Every month I learn something else horrible about soft drinks, yet people look at me like I'm a Martian when I tell them that sodas never have been nor will they be allowed under my roof (kind of like Rap "music" ).

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Out of 72 drinks tested, 69 were found to contain BPA at levels below what Health Canada says is the safe upper limit. However, studies in peer-reviewed science journals have indicated that even at very low doses, BPA can increase breast and ovarian cancer cell growth and the growth of some prostate cancer cells in animals.
    When I read things like this I sometimes wonder if we're being manipulated by those who want to reduce fertility rates and therefore lower population growth. Do we really know what the safe limit is? Who's telling the truth I wonder, or am I getting a bit too cynical?

Thread Information