R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Arnau View Post
    I was talking about real Valencians, not Castilianized ones.

As for what you say about struggling in the language... I don't have any problems with English or French when in London or Paris, but that doesn't make more English or French.
    So in what way is a portuguese closer to castillians than a valencian? Genetically, culturally?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-06-2014 @ 09:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Western Norwegian, Romani, North German, East Asian.
    Country
    Norway
    Region
    Hordaland
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1
    Taxonomy
    Evil Twin
    Politics
    Pragmatic
    Religion
    Humanist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 23

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MacedonBG View Post
    This is a total failure on several points, Saami ethnic groups are not a majority population in most of the Green areas and they are not one ethnic group, they are several with different languages corresponding to each ethnic group. Russian ethnic groups such as Komi and countless others are totally neglected on this map, there are also lots of other groups around Europe that are not listed...
    " I once tried thinking for an entire day, but I found it less valuable than one moment of study. I once tried standing up on my toes to see far out in the distance, but I found that I could see much farther by climbing to a high place."
    Xunzi

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Delarge View Post
    So in what way is a portuguese closer to castillians than a valencian? Genetically, culturally?
    The ethnogenesis is clear. Modern ethnicities in Iberia -at least the Romance ones- stem from the beginning of the Reconquest. Ethnically and politically, Portuguese, Asturians and Castilians stem from an old single "Leonese" ethnopolitical unity in the North-West, while in the North-East it's all about Frankish little counties. Compare both corners.

800 AD

900 AD

1000 AD

1100 AD

Surnames are traditionally very close in Portugal and Castile, with similar practices (all those patronymical endings in -es and in -ez, for instance). While in the North-East they've only become common with the massive migrations of the last centuries.

Galician-Portuguese has traditionally been much closer to Castilian than Catalan has, Catalan being even a possible import to the Peninsula. Obviously old sovereignty has allowed the language of Portugal to follow its own way in the phonological aspect, becoming very divergent from the modern Castilian standard. We could say that both close languages have driven gradually apart, while Catalan has followed the other path, it has become more and more Iberian and Castilianoid. Yet, the core vocabulary still reveals even nowadays how close Portuguese and Spanish are, while Catalan is still closer to Occitan. (Listen to a North Catalan, they speak the language with a French accent, and you'll know what I mean)

The problem with genetics is that analyses are not made following these patterns. More than half the population in the East has mixed with other Spaniards, so it's difficult to be sure. We should see what results would look like if individuals were really traditional from their homeland.

I'm not meaning at all with this that the Portuguese are not an obviously distinct ethnicity. Of course you are, even from the very origin. And different people will always have different opinions because we consider things after different factors. I see things in a diachronical way (throughout time).

Whether you are that different from Galicians or not, you know well that's another story.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,747
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the long answer, i was curious about your point of view. Now, i'm not disagreeing with history and how the kingdoms emerged but mind was more focused on modern times when i replyed for the first time. And on modern times is highly debatable if a portuguese is closer to a castillian than a valencian in any way you want to compare.
    About the language, there is a language barrier on oral mode, while it may not be there on written mode. I don't agree with what you say about surnames, since the only similiar ones are the patronymical surnames a few pan-iberian ones. A lot of Galician-portuguese or just portuguese surnames have no match in Castille, like my own surnames for example.

So, in short, politics and the way history went have made a huge difference to the point that now i would be a complete tourist and foreigner in Madrid (or in Galicia for that matter), while a valencian would not.
    Last edited by Damiăo de Góis; 08-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread Information