SSNP
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Treffie View Post
    The old age stereotype of one being English and therefore reserved is now long gone.
    Annoyingly. Really loud people get on my nerves.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

In my own experience with them on the forum the Spaniards do seem to have a certain mmm severity (I don't know if that's really the right word, seriousness is probably more appropriate) about them, yet I've also had Spaniards say the same thing to me.

There're other factors that set Americans apart from Europeans, be they Spanish or English, and these qualities can be things like the residual influence of our Puritan past (which also might be worth mentioning since religion is far stronger here than in contemporary Europe; the intense religiosity that many of my countrymen display probably makes us to seem a bit, ahem, zealous).

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 08:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Treffie View Post
    Ah I see. You're comparing the English to Aussies? I suppose that they are if you compare them with each other. On the whole though, I don't think that the English are reserved. The old age stereotype of one being English and therefore reserved is now long gone.
    No, I'm not comparing English to Aussies. I SAID; "for reasons pointed out above" (meaning the English tendency toward hooligan outbursts being a result of constant social restraints in everyday life) AND I said that if the English were so naturally reserved, they would be so anywhere in the world... not just in England. I was specifically speaking of Australians with English blood - meaning 2nd or 3rd generation English in Australia - and the obvious differences in behaviour and attitude.

Nevertheless, this is of little consequence to you since you believe that the English are no longer so reserved nor restrained. But I disagree, going on my experiences in England. However, I realise that it is probably a matter of social groups within England. The ones I interacted with were certainly very uptight, socially awkward, shy, judgemental and reserved, particularly when sober.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bryant View Post
    The ones I interacted with were certainly very uptight, socially awkward, shy, judgemental and reserved, particularly when sober.
    Mary,

Can you take what must've been a few obvious case and apply the outcome to the entire whole? :mmmm: Sure not all Britons are stuffed-shirts, no more than all Americans are moonshine-swilling rednecks.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    In my own experience with them on the forum the Spaniards do seem to have a certain mmm severity (I don't know if that's really the right word, seriousness is probably more appropriate) about them,
    I've found (in real life, certainly not on these forums) that the Spanish tend to be a very relaxed, friendly, easy going, warm, open and non-judgemental people. They still have that fighting spirit and boldness about them, for sure... but "severe" or overly serious in general, they are not.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 06:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Vatican
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alzo zero View Post
    Yeah I don't know where they got that from. Northern European chicks, including Brits, tend to be much more "friendly" to strangers they aren't necessarily interested to than the Southern European girls do! LOL
    Tourism propaganda. It's always the same shit: some ruins, friendly señoritas and slimy tanned dagos.

Contrarrevolucionari El Palleter's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-16-2011 @ 09:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Espanyol
    Ethnicity
    Valencià
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Contramodernista
    Religion
    Católic Tradicionalista
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Right or wrong, we value plain-speaking and honesty, which makes us different than the Mediterranean countries or even the mother-country itself.
    Plain-speaking as you put it and directness (honesty, in your words) is what foreigners often identify as "rudness" in Spaniards

Being Spain a Mediterranean country as well as Atlantic, I can only think that your comment is one that comes typical with the American character and which is defined by self-righteousness

something that often infuriates the more polite or reserved nationalities such as the Japanese. This was remarked upon by Japanese diplomats in the 19th century, that the American negotiators often didn't observe what the Japanese considered to be the rules of "polite society."
    The Japanese are not socially more polite. They are socially impeded

To call their crippled social nature "polite" is being self-righteous too

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarado View Post
    He forgets the British chicks who visit Spain.

[YOUTUBE]kLzTKBdQLn0[/YOUTUBE]

LMAO No comment.
    Trash is trash. That's English and Spanish trash all in one video

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Mary,

Can you take what must've been a few obvious case and apply the outcome to the entire whole? :mmmm: Sure not all Britons are stuffed-shirts, no more than all Americans are moonshine-swilling rednecks.
    I'm speaking of general observations, not anecdotal evidence. This is the only thing of any use when analysing social tendencies.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bryant View Post
    I've found (in real life, certainly not on these forums) that the Spanish tend to be a very relaxed, friendly, easy going, warm, open and non-judgemental people. They still have that fighting spirit and boldness about them, for sure... but "severe" or overly serious in general, they are not.
    It's a perception of severity or seriousness that I'm trying to make. I've only met a couple of people from Spain and they've both been, as you say laid-back, friendly, largely unopinionated, but also.. I can't really put a finger on it. There's a fellow at my workplace who hails from Madrid and, while a very nice fellow, he's also got a certain reservation to him. I don't know, it might be because he's a Spaniard surrounded by Americans and feels a bit out-of-place, or it might be something else. Sometimes the guy talks very freely about Spain and sometimes he won't even acknowledge me when I say "hi" in passing.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chateaubriand View Post
    Plain-speaking as you put it and directness (honesty, in your words) is what foreigners often identify as "rudness" in Spaniards

Being Spain a Mediterranean country as well as Atlantic, I can only think that your comment is one that comes typical with the American character and which is defined by self-righteousness

The Japanese are not socially more polite. They are socially impeded

To call their crippled social nature "polite" is being self-righteous too
    How do you figure that I'm being self-righteous? How many Americans have you interacted with? Your commentary about me being self-righteous is either plain-speaking or a bit of sanctimony (which would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black).

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information