Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,593
    Given: 29,041

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    Would you bridle at me, if i say youre a little bit overreacting in this case?
    No of course not. I just find rating women derogatory and it just so happened that I listened to a very good interview with Minnie Driver where she was specifically speaking about how terrible Harvey Weinstein was to her about her appearance. You know the type of person that Harvey Weinstein was who treated women like they were just sexual objects and was a absolute pig of a man. A woman is not just her appearance. If anyone has daughters how would they feel if they were being rated? It is always good to think of people as human beings and give them some dignity.

And why rate someone like Minnie Driver anyway? She isn't an actress that is known as a sex symbol anyway.

I just would not go out of my way to deliberately comment that someone was not good looking or that they were unattractive. Anyway you get back what you give so no harm just possibly thinking about what you are doing and the image you are portraying.

Women do not like being rated as I'm sure men would not like being rated either excepting a couple of men on here who endlessly post threads asking people about their appearance.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Unbestechlichkeit
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    Who says truth is beauty after all?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,289
    Given: 4,569

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I just find rating women derogatory
    There will always be douchey men as you can find douchebags in women too. This should not be the reason that you direct your anger towards rational people. Indeed a woman is not just her appearance and personality is more important part, i couldnt agree more. In all of my relationships, personality was the important thing for me and i think this applies to most of men. However, appearance is still something because in most cases its the only thing about woman that you can see-learn. How many of us have chance to meet and share things with Minnie Driver? Personally i think i would never have a chance.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

There will always be douchey men as you can find douchebags in women too. This should not be the reason that you direct your anger towards rational people. Indeed a woman is not just her appearance and personality is more important part, i couldnt agree more. In all of my relationships, personality was the important thing for me and i think this applies to most of men. However, appearance is still something because in most cases its the only thing about woman that you can see-learn. How many of us have chance to meet and share things with Minnie Driver? Personally i think i would never have a chance.
    I did not have any anger but just made a genuine comment about how I feel about rating people. Just saying as a women this is what I think about these threads asking for people to rate women. Most women would find it offensive. There was absolutely no anger but it was obvious MobyD was angry because of what he said in his comment back to me. It was not just at him even though I commented in his thread but there are loads of these type of threads asking how would you rate this women. Nothing wrong with saying someone is attractive but threads asking to rate different women and then commenting and giving them a low rating is a bit in bad taste. That all the point I was making. It might make some people think differently or they might get angry or just dismiss what I've said.

Also it was a combination of it being Minnie Driver and a rating thread when in her interview she was saying how horrible it was for her when after she auditioned for Good Will Hunting and Harvey Weinstein said something derogatory and disgusting about her and was disparaging of her looks. Luckily her co-stars were very different and gentlemen. She did end up in a relationship with Matt Damon although she didn't talk about that at all. In her interview she came across as an intelligent and interesting person who had a lot of insight.

Some women do make careers out of being sex bombs and do pose in a sexualised way so they are looking for that sort of attention.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,704
    Given: 1,601

1 Not allowed!

I did not have any anger but just made a genuine comment about how I feel about rating people. Just saying as a women this is what I think about these threads asking for people to rate women. Most women would find it offensive. There was absolutely no anger but it was obvious MobyD was angry because of what he said in his comment back to me. It was not just at him even though I commented in his thread but there are loads of these type of threads asking how would you rate this women. Nothing wrong with saying someone is attractive but threads asking to rate different women and then commenting and giving them a low rating is a bit in bad taste. That all the point I was making. It might make some people think differently or they might get angry or just dismiss what I've said.

Also it was a combination of it being Minnie Driver and a rating thread when in her interview she was saying how horrible it was for her when after she auditioned for Good Will Hunting and Harvey Weinstein said something derogatory and disgusting about her and was disparaging of her looks. Luckily her co-stars were very different and gentlemen. She did end up in a relationship with Matt Damon although she didn't talk about that at all. In her interview she came across as an intelligent and interesting person who had a lot of insight.

Some women do make careers out of being sex bombs and do pose in a sexualised way so they are looking for that sort of attention.
    Are you finished yapping?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MobyD View Post
    I'm commenting back to Hektor12 who can discuss these topics in a calm and rational manner. I never realised before you had such a short fuse.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,053
    Given: 6,631

0 Not allowed!

I'm commenting back to Hektor12 who can discuss these topics in a calm and rational manner. I never realised before you had such a short fuse.
    Maybe you'll see now the main problem is the brown chimp OP soiling the place.

I agree with you that rating normal people/non-celebs is disrespectful, but I think actors/actresses/models etc are fair game, as they make a living off their image and get privileged for it. Either way it's immature, degrades the forum and shouldn't be a feature on here.
    Last edited by Creoda; 06-24-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Unbestechlichkeit
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    Who says truth is beauty after all?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,289
    Given: 4,569

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MobyD View Post
    Bro, stop with this already. Shes not a feminits. (whether she is, none of our business) Life is hard for a woman. Even in Australia. You dont know what kind of experiences people have.

I'm commenting back to Hektor12 who can discuss these topics in a calm and rational manner.
    Thank you, im writing because i believe you would care about my opinion. In the life we can derail sometimes, whether we realize it or not. And different opinions might be useful for us to get back on the track. If we have ability to catch useful things that we can make us of them..

Also it was a combination of it being Minnie Driver and a rating thread when in her interview she was saying how horrible it was for her when after she auditioned for Good Will Hunting and Harvey Weinstein said something derogatory and disgusting about her and was disparaging of her looks.
    I got it instantly, what made you overreact in this case. Youre already (lets say: a little bit) sensitive person. Emotions ups and downs, we have to keep them in non-problematic limits. Yes, somebody can make a topic and rate her low, somebody can even say that she is "ugly" but this is internet, what can you do?.. Such a succesful woman who im sure has countless amount of fans all around the world wouldnt care about in forum member rating her low, in my very honest opinion.

Since the time unknown, women's beautiy appreciated. You know, beauty contests and everything i cant count, all for women. Make-up is for women, beauty saloons for women, pretty clothes for women, etc.. If you decide "rating standard people is bad and disrespectful" i think you instantly "criminalize" tho whole base i mentioned. In a way i agree with you, women should be respected more than this and treated carefully. However, if this lead us to shut our mouths and forces us to make no comments about somebodys appearance, this would be wrong, IMHO.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Bro, stop with this already. Shes not a feminits. (whether she is, none of our business) Life is hard for a woman. Even in Australia. You dont know what kind of experiences people have.

Thank you, im writing because i believe you would care about my opinion. In the life we can derail sometimes, whether we realize it or not. And different opinions might be useful for us to get back on the track. If we have ability to catch useful things that we can make us of them..

I got it instantly, what made you overreact in this case. Youre already (lets say: a little bit) sensitive person. Emotions ups and downs, we have to keep them in non-problematic limits. Yes, somebody can make a topic and rate her low, somebody can even say that she is "ugly" but this is internet, what can you do?.. Such a succesful woman who im sure has countless amount of fans all around the world wouldnt care about in forum member rating her low, in my very honest opinion.

Since the time unknown, women's beautiy appreciated. You know, beauty contests and everything i cant count, all for women. Make-up is for women, beauty saloons for women, pretty clothes for women, etc.. If you decide "rating standard people is bad and disrespectful" i think you instantly "criminalize" tho whole base i mentioned. In a way i agree with you, women should be respected more than this and treated carefully. However, if this lead us to shut our mouths and forces us to make no comments about somebodys appearance, this would be wrong, IMHO.
    My emotions are definitely not up and down. I'm very even and much the same from day to day. I also don't mind a discussion and don't really hold any animosity to people. I'm surprised how people get ruffled in that they will focus on a person and not the discussion. It's reasonably common that a lot of people will start getting personal and start targeting you when someone like myself is interested in the discussion. I don't think I've ever got overly personal with anyone on here. I'm not particularly emotional. I do have empathy but I'm definitely not an emotional person. I don't think I've overreacted I'm just stating my opinion. I've had numerous disagreements with people on here but not many that I would hold grudges against them.

What I respect is someone that can disagree but still be cordial. There are plenty of people, including Creoda who I've had differences of opinion but Creoda has always being able to state his opinion without getting abusive or trying to personalise the discussion.

I'm a surprisingly unemotional person but quite like discussions and giving opinions and seeing what other people think. People should be able to discuss topics without throwing insults at people.

A few times in the past I've had discussions when I've been very drunk but haven't done that for well over a year. They can go a bit haywire.

People also might come across very different with just words. When people aren't speaking face to face you can't hear their tone of voice or see their facial expressions.

You appear to be reading anger and emotions that aren't there. That's the problem with just the written word.
    Last edited by Grace O'Malley; 06-24-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Away from keyboard ... Pro.crasti.nation's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 07:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Not feeling it...
    Country
    England
    Politics
    Moderate with libertarian fantasies.
    Hero
    Hulk Hogan
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 1,439

0 Not allowed!

Oh come on, please don't let the PC disease infect this place?

We're all happy to classify all Indians as ugly - doesn't seem to rub the moral nub much, when we do that! - but we should draw the line at random celebs being assigned digits?

There are actual guys - and it's usually guys (I don't peruse this site obsessively, so I could have missed instances involving women) - on this site, that have their looks torn to shreds, that "console" each other on their lack of attractiveness ... That's actual people, present on this site, not celebs who are never going to read the opinions of anyone here not that they would care.

Politeness is perfectly fine and should be our default setting in real life but, the internet is an extension of our minds, not our persona. Can we not allow some degree of freedom of thought, here? In real life, we've become too accustomed to being told what to think and say, as it is. Let's not let "politeness" and "niceness" work to quieten our messy minds, online.

Away from keyboard ... Pro.crasti.nation's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 07:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Not feeling it...
    Country
    England
    Politics
    Moderate with libertarian fantasies.
    Hero
    Hulk Hogan
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 1,439

2 Not allowed!

Oh and on-topic, anywhere from 5 to 7.5/10. The woman has a fantastic personality, from what comes across through her interviews. And a very particular look, that sometimes works nicely and sometimes not.

Grosse Point Blank, awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information