Thread: Bermuda-sized ‘ice island’ could threaten ships, oil rigs off coast of Newfoundland

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Bermuda-sized ‘ice island’ could threaten ships, oil rigs off coast of Newfoundland

A Bermuda-sized slab of ice from northern Greenland is breaking apart off Labrador, littering the area with icebergs that could pose a threat to offshore oil rigs and ship traffic.

The largest remaining piece of the ice island still floating, called PII-A, was over 58 square kilometres at the last measurement. It is considered an ice island rather than an iceberg because it is wider than it is deep. On Thursday it was 380 kilometres north of St. Anthony, on the tip of Newfoundland’s Northern Peninsula.

Brad deYoung, a professor of oceanography at Memorial University, said if the ice island doesn’t end up grounded in the northern coast of Newfoundland it could pick up speed and reach the Grand Banks before it melts. It would be a danger to the offshore oil rigs, and the smaller chunks that are fracturing off, still a couple of square kilometres in size, could damage ships.

“The island would have to thin out a bit because [the oil rigs] are in shallow water, but even thinned out the island would be far heavier than anything those platforms and systems are designed to withstand,” said Mr. deYoung, who estimates the island is more than 100 metres thick. “If it came down at any speed it would cause enormous destruction. The island, depending on how big it is at that time, could weigh several billion tons.”

Mr. deYoung said there’s no real way to stop the ice island and the best bet is to get out of the way.

“If you break up a billion-ton object into two half-billion-ton objects, you still have two half-billion-ton-objects,” Mr. deYoung said. “You haven’t made your problem any better.”

The ice island broke off the Petermann glacier last Aug. 5, and was 280 square kilometres when it first started drifting towards Canada. It fractured in half in September and the other large piece has been grounded since mid-March. PII-A has been traveling south at about 35 kilometres per day.

Charles Randell, president and chief executive officer of C-Core, a St. John’s-based research and development organization, estimates the ice island weighs between 3.5 billion and four billion tonnes. When a slightly smaller iceberg recently separated from Antarctica it was estimated it could provide two litres of water per day for everyone on Earth for two years.

“We have that resource up there, and if we could ever do anything with it, that would be amazing,” he said. “Very, very pure. 110,000-year-old water. Not many contaminants in that.”

Paul Alcock, owner of Northland Discovery, a whale and iceberg sightseeing company that operates out of St. Anthony, at the northern tip of Newfoundland, said he hopes to see the first chunks to start showing up within the next week.

“It’s some of the largest pieces ever known to travel along the Labrador and Newfoundland coast, so that’s going to cause a great deal of interest and a lot of people are going to want to get up close to see it,” Mr. Alcock said.

Gordon Slade, managing director of the Battle Harbour Historic Trust in Mary’s Harbour, said he spoke with a man who took his boat out to one small ice island last week, who described some remarkable sights upon his return.

“There’s harbours and bays, waterfalls and all sorts of stuff on it,” Mr. Slade said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06...-newfoundland/

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Worrysome for some people for obvious reasons (damage, etc.), but I just found this kind of interesting. This is the biggest one, I guess.

And that it has waterfalls, harbours, and bays. Wow. That's pretty amazing. I'd love to see it.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Trondheim, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    British Columbia
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,828
    Given: 243

0 Not allowed!

They need to figure something out if it starts threatening oil rigs because canada doesn't need economic setbacks, we have been lucky so far, and thats all its been is dumb luck, i personally dont want it to run out.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    They need to figure something out if it starts threatening oil rigs because canada doesn't need economic setbacks, we have been lucky so far, and thats all its been is dumb luck, i personally dont want it to run out.
    What can they do, though?

I do agree. Especially Newfoundland, which is probably the most economically hurting part of the country. It would be a setback for Canada, but a disaster for Newfoundland.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Trondheim, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    British Columbia
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    What can they do, though?

I do agree. Especially Newfoundland, which is probably the most economically hurting part of the country. It would be a setback for Canada, but a disaster for Newfoundland.
    I don't know, maybe some scientist can figure it out. Possibly break it to smaller pieces and tow them outta the way? suspend drilling would likely be the only thing they could do, we dont need a gulf of mexico

Possibly change its course with a low yield nuke?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't know, maybe some scientist can figure it out. Possibly break it to smaller pieces and tow them outta the way? suspend drilling would likely be the only thing they could do, we dont need a gulf of mexico
    They were saying on TV that breaking it up could be worse.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Trondheim, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    British Columbia
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    They were saying on TV that breaking it up could be worse.
    You could conceivably change its course with a large enough explosive, if they can predict its trajectory then a small change far off can be enough, sort of what they talk about doing with asteroids. But I don't think we have anything large enough, probably have to be a nuclear weapon, and i think they banned sea testing of those.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You could conceivably change its course with a large enough explosive, if they can predict its trajectory then a small change far off can be enough, sort of what they talk about doing with asteroids. But I don't think we have anything large enough, probably have to be a nuclear weapon, and i think they banned sea testing of those.
    A nuclear weapon would be too risky. If theoretically they did that off Newfoundland, then there is a risk of radiation reaching populated areas, possibly as far as Reykjavik. Sure, would be weak radiation but may be strong enough to put the population at risk for cancer later in life.

Not to mention it is close to the Grand Banks, which is a breeding area for many different species of fish, including some we eat.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Nice, I can't wait for the next Titanic-esque movie!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Forget Me Not View Post
    Nice, I can't wait for the next Titanic-esque movie!
    Love story on an oil rig off Newfoundland?

I sense a Brokeback Mountain type vibe. Have to be PC and have more gay couples. Two big brawny rough-riders with thick Newfie accents.

Thread Information