savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs down Family claim they are simply "too fat to work"

The real telly tubbies: X Factor failure's 83-stone family claim they are simply too fat to work

By Fay Schlesinger and Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 8:09 AM on 17th March 2009

They have a combined weight of 83 stone and claim £22,000 in taxpayer-funded benefits on the basis they are ‘too fat to work’.

Yet, incredibly, X Factor failure Emma Chawner's family from Blackburn are demanding more money - because they still can’t afford their calorie-laden lifestyle.

Asked why they don’t simply go on a diet, the jobless Chawner family who are so obese their neighbours call them ‘the telly tubbies’ insist: ‘We don’t have the time.’

'The real telly tubbies': From left, former X Factor contestant Emma, mother Audrey, father Philip and sister Sam Chawner

Emma, 19, famously appeared on the TV talent show in 2007 wearing a wedding-style dress made by her dad.
    She was kicked off after the first audition, but not before the family were evicted from their previous house after neighbours complained about her singing at 3am.

Emma Chawner during her first X Factor appearance. The show's three judges, Simon Cowell, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh, were not very encouraging of Emma's performance

Both Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their youngest daughter, Emma, is 5ft 3in and weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, is 5ft 9in and weighs 18st.

They haven’t worked in 11 years, claiming their weight is due to a hereditary condition.
    Instead, the family spend their days in front of a television borrowed from a friend.

'Too fat to work': The family turn on the television as soon as they get up

Mr Chawner said: ‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’

Yet of their £22,508 a year in tax-free benefits - equivalent to a £30,000 salary - Mr Chawner said: ‘What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It’s not our fault we can’t work. We deserve more.’

The family claim to spend £50 a week on food, including chocolate, chips and pies, and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

Enlarge

‘We have cereal for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips for dinner,’ Mrs Chawner told Closer magazine.

‘We all love nibbling on biscuits. I once bought some pears, but they tasted funny.

‘All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We’re fat because it’s in our genes. Our whole family is overweight.’

Emma, who would like to lose 6st, added: ‘We don’t have time to diet.’

Each week, Mr and Mrs Chawner, who have been married for 23 years, receive £177 in income support and incapacity benefit. Mrs Chawner is paid an extra £330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.

Mr Chawner gets £71 a month after developing Type 2 diabetes because of his size. He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable.

Samantha receives £84 in Jobseekers’ Allowance each fortnight while Emma, who is training to be a hairdresser, gets £58 every two weeks under a hardship fund for low-income students.

‘I’m a student and don’t have time to exercise,’ Emma said. ‘We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don’t know how.’

The full feature appears in Closer magazine, on sale now.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Tough life eh?

Mr Chawner said: ‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’
    Not sure if this below is correct though.

Mrs Chawner is paid an extra £330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.
    If anything, high fat diets can help epilepsy.

Courtesy of Wiki
    Ketogenic diet- a high fat, low carbohydrate diet developed in the 1920s, largely forgotten with the advent of effective anticonvulsants, and resurrected in the 1990s. The mechanism of action is unknown. It is used mainly in the treatment of children with severe, medically-intractable epilepsies
    Last edited by Treffie; 03-17-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Death
    Ethnicity
    Death
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    The real telly tubbies: X Factor failure's 83-stone family claim they are simply too fat to work
    Hmm, I already see a job they can do.

And seeing what they do all day, watching tv and eating lot of bad food, I find the statement they do not have time to dieet a bit unbelievable.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

‘All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We’re fat because it’s in our genes. Our whole family is overweight.’
    I can only agree with them on that. Fresh fruit and vegetables and fresh meat is almost double the price of the basic frozen foods.
    It shouldn't be an excuse, mind, but the high cost in good quality food is one reason why people are so fat and unhealthy.

‘We love TV. It’s on from the moment we get up. Often I’m so tired from watching TV I have to have a nap.’

I love this family. Give them more money. They are obviously hungry.

Last Online
    12-17-2009 @ 01:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I'd personally have them all hauled in for liposuction. Then kick their new slimmed down backsides down to the jobcentre.

They are just a bunch of lazy fat b'stards, who won't take responsibility for themselves. I don't see why I should have to work so these blobs can sit around eating,sleeping and watching tv, getting fatter!

At least one of them is training to be a hairdresser, but will they be willing to give up the lifestyle!?

And as for the whole we haven't got time to diet, excercise..please they're having a laugh...grrrrr

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Off to the soap factory, say I.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Huh! well my question is if this family is getting money from the state, why isn't there a social worker involved to at least help them help themselves? It seems like another example of a government enabling people in an unhealthy lifestyle and habits.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

It’s not our fault we can’t work. We deserve more.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Huh! well my question is if this family is getting money from the state, why isn't there a social worker involved to at least help them help themselves? It seems like another example of a government enabling people in an unhealthy lifestyle and habits.
    Well, they are guaranteed to vote for Labour, which is what the UK government is really interested in . Another question would be why can't they help themselves? How can they have let themselves get so horribly fat?

Last Online
    12-17-2009 @ 01:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    Well, they are guaranteed to vote for Labour, which is what the UK government is really interested in . Another question would be why can't they help themselves? How can they have let themselves get so horribly fat?
    Exactly.They are more then capable of helping themselves. (Which is in fact their problem, burgers, cake, chocolate!), but why have they got so fat? Seems like a "career" choice. Get fat, claim you can't work, claim benefits! If there wasn't a welfare system to support their "lifestyle" then they couldn't of possibly of *chosen* to get fat surely?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information