Even as it finds itself still embroiled in Libya, NATO is preparing to launch a military assault on Syria in order to create a beachhead for a future attack on Iran, claims Russia’s envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin.
“The planning [of the military campaign] is well underway. It could be a logical conclusion of those military and propaganda operations, which have been carried out by certain Western countries against North Africa,”
Rogozin said in an interview with the Izvestia newspaper published on Friday.
The envoy added that attacks on Syria and Yemen were part of a build-up focused around regime change in Iran.
“The noose around Iran is tightening. Military planning against Iran is underway. And we are certainly concerned about an escalation of a large-scale war in this huge region,”
Rogozin has been known to make embellished statements about NATO’s military adventurism in the past, so whether there will actually be an intervention in Syria remains to be seen.
Moscow has consistently warned NATO not to meddle in Syria, saying the country should be left to resolve its own problems as violence that has killed 1,600 civilians since March continues to plague the country.
Speculation surrounding an attack Iran, which Rogozin claims is the long term goal of the assault on Syria, has peaked in recent weeks.
Efforts by Palestinian leaders to achieve full statehood, set to be heard by the United Nations in early September, has prompted speculation that Israel is planning a surgical strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities in September as a means of distracting from and ultimately derailing the prospect of such an agreement.
Last month, former CIA agent Robert Baer said that comments made by former Mossad head Meir Dagan “tell us with near certainty that Netanyahu is planning an attack, and in as much as I can guess when it’s going to be, it’s probably going to be in September before a vote on the Palestinian state.”