European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Default 'There ARE too many immigrants in the UK', say seven in 10 Britons

Nearly three quarters of Britons think there are too many immigrants in the country, a survey revealed yesterday.

The international poll, by IPSOS Mori, put the UK third highest in a league table of 23 countries according to concerns about migrant numbers.

And it showed Britain topped the table of countries according to concerns over the impact of migrants on public services.

Some 76 per cent of those questioned said immigration had put too much pressure on hospitals, transport services and schools.

The poll exposes the huge on-going scale of public worry over migration levels in recent years.

Under Labour’s open door immigration policy, the population was boosted by more than 3.2million arrivals from overseas.

Home Secretary Theresa May has made clear her determination to reduce net migration to the ‘tens of thousands’.

But the task of the coalition government in trying to get migrant numbers down to manageable levels has been made harder by a recent spike in new arrivals.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of the MigrationWatch think tank said: ‘Concern in Britain is almost the highest in the world.
    Source

Last Online
    04-18-2015 @ 01:00 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Good. But why tens of thousands? How about zero

Real men drink real ale.

Stumble Inn

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Good. But why tens of thousands? How about zero
    Because that would get in the way of UN rules on "freedom of movement" I suppose, another interfering organisation.
    Some immigrants are from British-based countries like Australia and New Zealand - they're basically British anyway (apart from the Abos and Maori), zero immigration would stop them coming here.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by celtabria View Post
    Because that would get in the way of UN rules on "freedom of movement" I suppose, another interfering organisation.
    Some immigrants are from British-based countries like Australia and New Zealand - they're basically British anyway (apart from the Abos and Maori), zero immigration would stop them coming here.
    Moving from one part of the realm, from Cumbria to Sussex, or NZ to England, isn't immigration.

Well, that's the way it should be.

Real men drink real ale.

Stumble Inn

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 08:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

Lucky for you guys the Aus. aborigines pretty much never travel outside of Australia (much less emigrate overseas) and Maoris aren't likely to travel/emigrate further than Australia.

EDIT - and oh yeah, tens of thousands of immigrants still sounds way too high. The UK does have an over-population problem, afterall....

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Moving from one part of the realm, from Cumbria to Sussex, or NZ to England, isn't immigration.

Well, that's the way it should be.
    I agree, they're basically brothers and yet we have freedom of movement for Germans, Poles and French who are related but more distantly but not for our immediate relatives in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
    Free movement between them would be good but I suppose a lot of it would be one-way (Brits outwards to sunny Australia ), at least that would solve our over-population problem.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I agree, they're basically brothers and yet we have freedom of movement for Germans, Poles and French who are related but more distantly but not for our immediate relatives in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
    I don't know about Canada, nor even about NZ, but migrations between the UK and Australia are WAAAAAAAAAAY more difficult than inter-EU migrations. It's not easy as an Aussie to immigrate to the UK.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bryant View Post
    I don't know about Canada, nor even about NZ, but migrations between the UK and Australia are WAAAAAAAAAAY more difficult than inter-EU migrations. It's not easy as an Aussie to immigrate to the UK.
    Yeah, the Pacific Islander problem in NZ and the overall immigration problem in Canada would be harmful to both the UK and Australia.

Its by no means easy for a Brit to emigrate to Australia either, there's no special treatment, a shame - there should be special treatment in both countries but we're part of the EU which basically decides our immigration rules for us sadly.
    Maybe one day if we ditch the EU then the migration rules between the two countries will probably get more lax.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Its by no means easy for a Brit to emigrate to Australia either, there's no special treatment, a shame - there should be special treatment in both countries
    I agree.

Having said that, I do think it's still easier for an UK citizen to obtain an Australian Visa and/or residency than it is for other nationals. I know an English woman who applied for a partner Visa (her partner was Australian) about 2 years ago and it was approved within 4 weeks... the average time for an Asian to be approved for such Visas at that time was 18 months. I believe the rules have just recently changed though, and the average time it takes to process any Visa application is 3 - 5 months across the board.

Basically, I think the Aus. govt still gives preference to UK immigrants, but it is unofficial and hidden behind a veil of bureaucracy, for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless, it still isn't anywhere near as easy as it should be for the British and Irish to immigrate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtabria
    Maybe one day if we ditch the EU then the migration rules between the two countries will probably get more lax.
    Yes, I believe that tight immigration restrictions for Aussies to the UK roughly coincided with the UK's entry into the EU. Although it didn't become really tough until the 80's.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Free movement between them would be good but I suppose a lot of it would be one-way (Brits outwards to sunny Australia ), at least that would solve our over-population problem.
    One of the very worst things about the EU is that our kin who rallied to the colours in two world wars are treated like foreigners while the people we fought against are treated like natives.

Real men drink real ale.

Stumble Inn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information