Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are most Upper-middle/UC class latinos freeloaders by American standards?(How are the UC in Spain?)

kratz

0 Not allowed!

Default Are most Upper-middle/UC class latinos freeloaders by American standards?(How are the UC in Spain?)

Hey guys,

I've been thinking a lot about this question. I've noticed that in the United States, everyone from the richest to the poorest person is expected to work. If you don't work, then it means you are a freeloader, and that's stigmatized. For instance, I went to school with a guy whose father was own property, yet his father cut him off when he becomes an adult, and he had to work for himself. He had also had to work to pay for his college. I don't deny the existence of trust fund babies. However, that practice seems to be more stigmatized. American society expects people to go out there and make a life for themselves without anyone's help.

In contrast, I noticed that many upper-middle-class or upper-class Latinos do not follow this paradigm. Instead, it seems that the higher you are on the social ladder, the more emphasis is on making connections and maintaining the status quo instead of working or creating a business. For example, I met some upper-class Latino whose father was a businessman, and he studied business administration. He inherited the wealth and delegated it to other subordinates and dedicated himself to traveling around Europe, fine dining, yacht parties, and appearing in magazines. Even if he had less wealth than Americans, he lived a much higher quality of life because of how society is structured.

It seems that America is a much more open society, but its also easy to fall down the cracks and become lost. While in Latin America, these social structures are much more fixed. This thread might not continue. We are seeing how California is adopting a more Latin American-like society where the rich have gated communities, and most of the poor live outside where there are more crime, less safety, and more chaotic organizations.

It'll be interesting how the upper-middle classes and upper classes of Spain lived. It would answer many questions. For instance, is it the influence of Catholicism, which leads to a different emphasis on life? Or Southern Europeans have more emphasis on being more cultured, being more educated, and being more worldly than focusing solely on making money(I saw some intellectual talking about this topic once).

Or is it merely a unique elite culture that developed in the New world? And foreign to Spain. That whites who moved to the new world(regardless of European background) change their life priorities and adopt a more aristocratic character?

Moreover, I read the novel, "Ramona" where these cultures clash and found a neat quote,
    "Many American migrants had looked down on California's Hispanic occupants when they arrived in the region. The new settlers from northern and midwestern states disparaged what they saw as a decadent culture of leisure and recreation among the elite Latinos, who had huge tracts of land, lived in a region with prevailing mild weather and unusually fertile soil, and relied heavily on Native American laborers. The new settlers favored the Protestant work ethic."
    Last edited by kratz; 07-20-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,309
    Given: 43,827

0 Not allowed!

There are plenty of mollycoddled, nepotism-driven and spoilt rich kids in the Anglo world too. Nevertheless, in general the thread has it right.
    Last edited by Tooting Carmen; 07-20-2020 at 01:03 AM.

kratz

0 Not allowed!

Haha, there's no article, I wrote all of this except for that one quote of the novel Ramona.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,551
    Given: 13,232

0 Not allowed!

Maybe the rich ones. I'm middle class and the day I don't work is the day I won't eat.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,693
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Kratz the sudaca and his obsession with Spain

kratz

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    Kratz the sudaca and his obsession with Spain
    Muchos en USA y Latinoamérica hablan de España pero nunca hay un Español(no hay muchos Españoles en US y me parece que a diferencia de otros países Europeos la enseñanza de Ingles no es prioridad en España. En Japón tampoco por cierto para que no crees que trato de molestarlos. Entonces es interesante tener la oportunidad de preguntarles a los Españoles sus opiniones. Es como traer aun autor de la muerte y preguntarle, "¿Oye y porque hiciste esto o porque nombraste este pueblo de esta manera?"

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,693
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kratz View Post
    a diferencia de otros países Europeos la enseñanza de Ingles no es prioridad en España.
    I wish

Last Online
    02-20-2022 @ 01:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ibero-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spanish  
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Misoneism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 57

0 Not allowed!

The massive tuition fees of American universities probably have something to do with that. Unless the family at hand is well established in the eight-digit net worth, spending >$200k on each child's tertiary education is quite the blow.

Last Online
    05-06-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    portuguese, italian, german
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,779
    Given: 208

0 Not allowed!

Saxon and Germanic "poor" underwent an agricultural and industrial revolution. have more work culture and earn money (but don't know how to spend). England is more classicist than Spain.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,713
    Given: 21,735

0 Not allowed!

When I think about the fable of "The ant and the grasshopper" of Aesop(, and after him remade by La Fontaine and Félix María de Samaniego), I have contradictory feelings about who was really right and how it is worth living and being.

In fact I don't know if an ant would ever read a fable by Aesop ,unless reading Aesop's fables brought him some benefit to improve his work or make him earn more money.

In this life you have to plant edible plants in your garden and thus be able to live, but you also have to plant non edible plants ,that they only are beautiful and serve no purpose other than to be beautiful, to have reasons to live for.

"Amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas"

"Dimidium facti, qui coepit, habet: sapere aude, incipe."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information