Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What language did Bell Beakers speak?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,039
    Given: 6,628

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    They would have spoken some Proto-Indo-European language I think. Bell Beakers descend from Corded Ware so I think the languages would be Proto-Indo-European. Another puzzle related to this is how the Celtic language became so widely spoken in Ireland when the population is much more Bell Beaker than Celtic. I find it difficult to think a small population of Celts are going to change the majority language if it was not something similar. Anyway that's another puzzle. But for the reasons I've stated I would say some type of Proto-Indo-European.
    Almost certainly because Ireland was Celticised by British Celts of largely native Bronze Age stock. It's hard to imagine language change in those days without massive population turnover.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,572
    Given: 29,031

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Almost certainly because Ireland was Celticised by British Celts of largely native Bronze Age stock. It's hard to imagine language change in those days without massive population turnover.
    Yes I agree.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 05:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    ????
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 559

0 Not allowed!

Gobbledygook.

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,005
    Given: 10,579

1 Not allowed!

They would have spoken some Proto-Indo-European language I think. Bell Beakers descend from Corded Ware so I think the languages would be Proto-Indo-European. Another puzzle related to this is how the Celtic language became so widely spoken in Ireland when the population is much more Bell Beaker than Celtic. I find it difficult to think a small population of Celts are going to change the majority language if it was not something similar. Anyway that's another puzzle. But for the reasons I've stated I would say some type of Proto-Indo-European.
    what is the ethnic difference between celts and bell beakers ?
    i always assumed celts were a branch of bell beakers

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopi View Post
    Bell Beakers are an earlier population and spread out in the Bronze Age. The ones that went to Ireland and Britain for instance were thought to be Dutch Bell Beakers. There was a near total population replacement in Britain and Ireland. They are the people that brought R1b-L21 to the Isles. Before that the Irish and British Farmers were predominantly ydna I2b which they acquired from Hunter Gatherers. These Bronze Age Bell Beakers came to Ireland before there were any Celts. Celts are an Iron Age population and it is though they originated in Central Europe so yes they did grow out of the earlier populations there but if you look at the Continental Celts their dna is different than Irish Bell Beakers and the Irish today still owe the major part of their dna to Bell Beakers and not Continental Celts. So if the Celts originated in Central Europe and there was a mass migration to places like Ireland this will show in Irish dna but the Irish still are closer to Bronze Age Bell Beaker populations than any of the Continental Celtic populations. I do think there was some Continental Celtic geneflow into Ireland but I don't believe it was direct but via Britain so diluted to start with. It's a puzzle as to how Ireland became Celtic speaking. I do think Bell Beakers spoke some related languages and they traded so possibly trade with Europe. The Celtic language might have been a lingua franca but I really don't know how it happened. I'm not sure how this will ever be answered really but there must be some logical and plausible reason for it. I do think it is fascinating.

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,005
    Given: 10,579

0 Not allowed!

Bell Beakers are an earlier population and spread out in the Bronze Age. The ones that went to Ireland and Britain for instance were thought to be Dutch Bell Beakers. There was a near total population replacement in Britain and Ireland. They are the people that brought R1b-L21 to the Isles. Before that the Irish and British Farmers were predominantly ydna I2b which they acquired from Hunter Gatherers. These Bronze Age Bell Beakers came to Ireland before there were any Celts. Celts are an Iron Age population and it is though they originated in Central Europe so yes they did grow out of the earlier populations there but if you look at the Continental Celts their dna is different than Irish Bell Beakers and the Irish today still owe the major part of their dna to Bell Beakers and not Continental Celts. So if the Celts originated in Central Europe and there was a mass migration to places like Ireland this will show in Irish dna but the Irish still are closer to Bronze Age Bell Beaker populations than any of the Continental Celtic populations. I do think there was some Continental Celtic geneflow into Ireland but I don't believe it was direct but via Britain so diluted to start with. It's a puzzle as to how Ireland became Celtic speaking. I do think Bell Beakers spoke some related languages and they traded so possibly trade with Europe. The Celtic language might have been a lingua franca but I really don't know how it happened. I'm not sure how this will ever be answered really but there must be some logical and plausible reason for it. I do think it is fascinating.
    did the bell beakers also introduce R1b into Iberia ?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

did the bell beakers also introduce R1b into Iberia ?
    Yes they did but the R1b they brought to Iberia was R1b-DF27 so that is also interesting as to why the different R1b. I think the R1b-L21 Beakers were earlier and migrated from the Lower Rhine to Netherland before the Bell Beakers that went to Iberia. They took a different route and went via Southern France into Iberia. Iberia had a much higher population of Farmers so Bell Beakers there appear to have taken Iberian wives and possibly killed a lot of the men. It is also likely that they used the men for labour but the Bell Beakers did procreate with the women so in Iberia it was male dominated.

Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 08:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SPARTAN II & SPARTAN III
    Ethnicity
    bro
    Ancestry
    iberian + amerindian with minor iranic and east euro admix
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    R0
    Taxonomy
    Rather tall, meso-brachyskelic, ecto-meso
    Politics
    Guns
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 923
    Given: 1,156

0 Not allowed!

The celtic culture originated from Bell Beakers. However there is a bit of genetic (autosomal not chromosomal, since they're all overwhelmingly R1b) and strong phenotypical diversity between celts in the British Isles.
    For example Britons were short and swarthy (gracile med with some WHG influence), while Scots might of been alot more Bell Beakeroid in appearance (tall and wide, vaguely Dinariform and light, a depigmented Steppe basically) , Scottish people also carry a high amount of Steppe DNA relative to their neighbors.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HectorOfTroy View Post
    The celtic culture originated from Bell Beakers. However there is a bit of genetic (autosomal not chromosomal, since they're all overwhelmingly R1b) and strong phenotypical diversity between celts in the British Isles.
    For example Britons were short and swarthy (gracile med with some WHG influence), while Scots might of been alot more Bell Beakeroid in appearance (tall and wide, vaguely Dinariform and light, a depigmented Steppe basically) , Scottish people also carry a high amount of Steppe DNA relative to their neighbors.
    I don't think Celtic culture originated from Bell Beakers. There is no evidence for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information