Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Quebecois Architecture

A few fieldstone houses with steep roofs, which dated back to the French regime, could still be found in some areas, and log cabins were plentiful in the backcountry. (The rugged life in pioneer settlements around Lake St. John is described in Hemon's Maria Chapdelaine.) Some habitations were indistinguishable from contemporary farmhouses in other parts of Canada or in the United States, and in many cases their construction and appearance had been influenced by them. However, a large number of French-Canadian homesteads were unlike any of these.

A popular type of dwelling in the area surrounding Quebec City consisted of a rectangular frame structure resting on a foundation several feet high with an open porch and steps front and rear (galerie) protected by an overhang. The siding was clapboard and the double-sloping roof, in which three or more dormer windows (lucarnes) were set, was generally covered with tar paper, asbestos shingles, or tin. A chimney usually protruded from each gable. (Mansard roofs were also fashionable about this time, but the vogue was relatively short-lived in Quebec.) The raised porch facilitated access in the winter when snow accumulated on the ground and the eaves offered protection from sun and rain the rest of the year. Narrow wooden pillars and a railing were sometimes added to suggest the form of a veranda. Windows and doors were often outlined in colour.

Even houses located in the village usually had a number of attached or detached annexes associated with rural living: a barn, a privy, a shed, and a stable. Farmhouses had more such structures spread over a larger area: a henhouse, a pigpen, storage buildings, a summer kitchen, and so on. A bed of flowers often decorated the frontage. Vegetable and herb gardens could be found in sunny spots on the side of the house or at the rear. A swing was another fixture here.

Inside, the two-storied building contained, on the first floor, a kitchen, dining room, parlor, and one or two bedrooms; the second level, reached by a staircase, was divided into bedrooms and a storage area. All rooms except the kitchen were wallpapered or painted white. Most houses also included a cellar and attic.
    Source: The French-Canadian Heritage in New England, Gerard J. Brault, pp. 10-11

****With many many thanks to Dalton for having referred me to this fine book.

Pictures to be posted at a later date....
    Last edited by Aemma; 03-31-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typos

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I love Quebecois architecture!!! That is one thing about living on The Prairies that I miss dearly; the older buildings in the Eastern and Atlantic provinces. Here in Winnipeg most of the "old" buildings are from the 1930s, and while ArtDeco styling is nice, it just doesn't tug at the old heart strings like the stuff from the 16 and 1700s does.
    The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Crazy Coley's Yarnwhority
    Nails By Nicole: my very small portfolio right now!!!

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

J/k, but I DO want to see pictures !

Banned
    Last Online
    07-25-2020 @ 05:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    UK/Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Celto-Germanic
    Religion
    Chaos-Gnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

I was about to say, Mrs. Fox....

I don't really know all too much about Quebec, but I HAVE wanted to go there as of recent and explore this "underground city" I have been hearing about.....

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

J/k, but I DO want to see pictures !

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

LOL! Thanks for saving me Æmeric! I owe you one.

But I am getting there with the pics good people. I've been downloading some of my pics and just haven't had time to post them yet.

Awesome pics btw Æmeric!

Cheers!...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Here are just a very few pictures, as promised, of the New France housing style that is predominant in the very old parts of the province of Quebec. These were taken during our short trip last summer to Ile d'Orleans--the cradle of French North American civilisation. Specifically these pictures were taken of homes in the Parish of St. Jean, one of the most picturesque parishes on the island in terms of its small town 'urban' landscapes.

You'll notice the dormers found on the some of the rooflines. Most of the roofs are also made of tin. And as the passage which is quoted indicates, the roofline does extend, at times over the porch in order to keep the snow at bay.

The one picture of the house with the mansard roof today houses a quincaillerie (hardware store), one of many small locally-owned businesses on the island. It should be noted that this island's economic mainstays are agriculture and tourism. The only corporate commercial businesses which have been permitted on the island take the form of one Caisse Populaire succursale and one Petro-Canada gas station. The rest of the businesses that exist on the island, of which there are many, exist as family-run businesses.

In some other pictures you'll also notice some houses with quite a bit of gingerbread trim as well as the distinctive filigreed railings. It seemed that most houses with these railed porches, or rather verandahs, had the same filigree pattern which I found at once odd and interesting.

I'll be posting more pictures as time goes on. But I thought I'd start with these today.

Cheers All!...Aemma

Last Online
    03-09-2021 @ 01:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, English
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian and English
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 601
    Given: 401