Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Census: Hispanics Fuel US White Population Growth

Census: Hispanics Fuel US White Population Growth

In a twist to notions of race identity, new 2010 census figures show an unexpected reason behind a renewed growth in the U.S. white population: more Hispanics listing themselves as white in the once-a-decade government count.

The shift is due to recent census changes that emphasize "Hispanic" as an ethnicity, not a race. While the U.S. government first made this distinction in 1980, many Latinos continued to use the "some other race" box to establish a Hispanic identity. In a switch, the 2010 census forms specifically instructed Latinos that Hispanic origins are not races and to select a recognized category such as white or black.

The result: a 6 percent increase in white Americans as tallied by the census, even though there was little change among non-Hispanic whites. In all, the number of people in the "white alone" category jumped by 12.1 million over the last decade to 223.6 million. Based on that definition, whites now represent 72 percent of the U.S. population and account for nearly half of the total population increase since 2000.

Broken down by state, California and Texas were home to nearly half of Hispanics who identified as white, followed by Florida and New York. Together, these four states comprised nearly two-thirds of the "white alone" population who were Hispanic. Overall, Hialeah, Fla.; Fargo, N.D.; Arvada, Colo.; Billings, Mont., and Scottsdale, Ariz., posted the highest shares in the "white alone" category, at roughly 90 percent or more.

"The white population has become more diverse as evidenced by the growth of the Hispanic white population and the multiple-race white population," including black-white and white-Asian people, according to the 2010 census analysis released Thursday.

Some demographers say the broadened white category in 2010 could lead to a notable semantic if not cultural shift in defining race and ethnicity. Due to the impact of Hispanics, the nation's fastest-growing group, the Census Bureau has previously estimated that whites will become the minority in the U.S. by midcentury. That is based on a definition of whites as non-Hispanic, who are now at 196.8 million.

That could change, if the common conception of white were to shift.

"What's white in America in 1910, 2010 or even 2011 simply isn't the same," said Robert Lang, sociology professor at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, citing the many different groups of European immigrants in the early 20th century who later became known collectively as white. He notes today that could mean a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant in upstate New York or Jews and Italians in the lowest East side of Manhattan.

Predicting a similar shift for Hispanics, Lang and others noted that mixed marriages are now more common between whites and Hispanics. U.S.-born Latino children of immigrants also are more likely than their parents to identify as white. "The definition of white has always been expansive," he said. "I could see the census in 2030 or 2040 dropping the differentiation between Hispanics and whites."

Roderick Harrison, a Howard University sociologist and former chief of racial statistics at the Census Bureau, agreed that growing numbers of second- and third-generation Hispanics may lose some of their cultural identity as they become more assimilated in the U.S. "Some portion might indeed become, for most social purposes, 'white,'" he said.

The latest census figures also show the number of Americans who identified themselves as partly black and partly white more than doubled to 1.8 million. For the first time, the black-white combination is the most prevalent group among multiracial Americans, making up 1 in 5 members of that subgroup. They exceed the number of multiracials who identified as being white and "some other race," composed of mostly Hispanics, as well as white-Asians and white-American Indians.

States in the South including South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama tripled their numbers of people identifying as a mix of black and white, mostly because their overall numbers are smaller. In those places, less than 3 percent of blacks identified that way — lower than the national average of 4.5 percent.

In raw numbers, states that had the biggest increases in the black-white category were California, Florida, Texas, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Blacks who are partly white often have been more reluctant to openly embrace their white background, due to a strong black identity in their communities. Historically, several states previously had a "one drop" rule that classified whites with any African blood as black.

In the 2010 census, President Barack Obama was among those who identified himself only as African-American, even though his mother was white.

"There is no question that racial lines are blurring in the United States, especially among 'new' minorities — Hispanics, Asians and growing mixed race generations. Yet it's particularly significant that we are seeing breakdowns in white-black separation," said William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution. "Strong gains in interracial marriages and higher mixed-race identification among youth suggest that past racial categories will need to be radically changed or even dispensed with in the next two or three decades."

The share of Hispanics identifying themselves as white increased over the past decade from 48 percent to 53 percent, while the proportion of those who marked "some other race" dropped from 42 percent to 37 percent. Many Hispanics previously preferred to check the "some other race" category to express their nationalities — such as Mexican or Cuban.

The Census Bureau has been examining different ways to count the nation's demographic groups. One experiment is a possible change to the questionnaire that would effectively treat Hispanics as a mutually exclusive group. It would allow people to check off just one of five race or ethnic categories — white, black, Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or American Indian/Alaska Native — rather than asking people who identify themselves as Hispanic to also check what race they are.

Other findings:

—The multiple-race white population, including black-whites and white-Asians, increased by at least 8 percent in every state, with the biggest gains in the South.

—The non-Hispanic white population declined in 15 states, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.

—The majority of blacks, both non-Hispanic blacks and those in combination with Hispanics or other races, lived in the South. About 60 percent of their total population lived in 10 states — New York, Florida, Texas, Georgia, California, North Carolina, Illinois, Maryland, Virginia and Ohio. The biggest gains in blacks over the past decade occurred in Florida, Georgia, Texas and North Carolina.

Source - http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...rowth-14633785

Last Online
    11-27-2020 @ 11:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Briton.....
    Ethnicity
    Scottish.....
    Ancestry
    Scottish & Irish.
    Region
    Scotland
    mtDNA
    U3c
    Taxonomy
    Super Alpine with minor Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Donald Trump
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 8

0 Not allowed!

They must be using the Apricity criteria .

Last Online
    12-06-2013 @ 11:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pale Face
    Ethnicity
    Pale Ass
    Ancestry
    The southern united states.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    White Booty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

I dont know if this is a good thing or not. Mestizos hate negroes more then most white americans and are quite racist against them and native americans(which is ironic).

The marriage rate of non-hispanic whites and the mestizo population is shocking. There is no gender discrimination either. Latina women are coming after white guys in droves and mestizo guys are coming after the white women in droves.

The only thing me and the mestizo man have in common is our shared dislike of the nigger.

Is this enough to push me into the arms of a mestiza? Probably not....but then again...'hatin' on the negro can bring almost anyone together i suppose.

It would certainly be good aftersex talk.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    I dont know if this is a good thing or not. Mestizos hate negroes more then most white americans and are quite racist against them and native americans(which is ironic).

The marriage rate of non-hispanic whites and the mestizo population is shocking. There is no gender discrimination either. Latina women are coming after white guys in droves and mestizo guys are coming after the white women in droves.

The only thing me and the mestizo man have in common is our shared dislike of the nigger.

Is this enough to push me into the arms of a mestiza? Probably not....but then again...'hatin' on the negro can bring almost anyone together i suppose.

It would certainly be good aftersex talk.
    I'd still prefer to have more castizos in this country. The problem is that immigrants are, racially speaking, not a cross-section of their homeland, but a specific demographic who are failures and burdens on their native country and therefore flee to a place where they can either succeed by exploiting chaos (e.g. Italian Mafia) or become a burden on a country that tolerates them (e.g. Hispanics). Only from nations with generally superior populations (e.g. Germany and Scotland) do you get quality immigrants.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-21-2015 @ 09:06 AM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,015
    Given: 18,435

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    It is not Ironic. USA Natives and Native Americans in general are a very different groups from us, bar certain Mexican Native Ethnicities who are quite assimilated in mainstream society. It's not different than when one of you does not like Arabs or Turks. You're both to some extent racially and biologically related but you're still a differentiated populations with different culture and beliefs. The same about us. I'm not hostile towards them though.

I agree. I imagine those mestizos who intermarry with whites are castizos mostly, or similar things.

I think there's certainly more similarities than that but I agree negroids are not very well liked here.

I remember I dated a girl that hated niggers as much as I did when I was on a nigger-killer/hunter phase, but upon thinking on detail about it I decided my hate was irrational. I'm fortunately not surrounded by negros and very rarely I see one. I only happen to know a black-uruguayan and he is pretty OK. He's a nigga with an Argentine accent, no ebongos or whatever they call it shit; not really that bad. But I generally agree they are a very bad population, highly violent and tribal-warfare like. In many ways they are closer to "nature" so to speak... But well, looking a brotha down is one of the few things most humans have in common. Must suck to be considered stuck forever in the lowest rung by the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Han Cholo; 09-30-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,482
    Given: 13,196

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Eckhart View Post
    I'd still prefer to have more castizos in this country. The problem is that immigrants are, racially speaking, not a cross-section of their homeland, but a specific demographic who are failures and burdens on their native country and therefore flee to a place where they can either succeed by exploiting chaos (e.g. Italian Mafia) or become a burden on a country that tolerates them (e.g. Hispanics). Only from nations with generally superior populations (e.g. Germany and Scotland) do you get quality immigrants.
    Sad but true.

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,670
    Given: 9,047

0 Not allowed!

America is a great country and one of the reasons is that's a melting pot that it's already use to people of various backgrounds and most of us get along and progress together. But I think the census has made a big mistake tho, they should had not only giving Hispanics the option of to choose "white", but mestizo and mulatto as well.

The reality is that Hispanics believe it or not have a good amount of European in them and is better off seeing one of us dating a Non-Hispanic White then lets say An African American who have less European in them (at average).
    Last edited by SilverKnight; 09-30-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

Banned
    Last Online
    11-05-2011 @ 02:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Whatever
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

Whites should list themselves as Blacks now and demand all the welfare entitlements that those knuckle-dragging boneheads get. If they did they'd be able to bankrupt this grotesquely corrupt system overnight.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post
    The reality is that Hispanics believe it or not have a good amount of European in them and is better off seeing one of us dating a Non-Hispanic White then lets say An African American who have less European in them (at average).
    Some Hispanics do. Remember, "hispanic" is an incredibly broad term, and incorporates Criollo (100% Euro), Castizo & Morisco (75% Euro), Mestizo & Mulatto (50% Euro), Coyote (25% Euro), Indio, Negro & Zambo (0% Euro). I think people tend to forget that Mulattos and Mestizo are both 50% non-Euro, because I've seen a lot of people elevate Mestizo above Mulatto, as if the savage Indianos are somehow superior to the savage Negroes. I am sure the Spaniards would never make such an error. Criollo and Castizo are really the superior groupings, but they, by and large, stay in their own countries (except Cuba, where the Mestizos took over and the Criollos and Castizos largely fled, if I am correctly informed).

EDIT: I've taken the time to illustrate this; hopefully I've got it right, but I welcome commentary and critique from our Spanish members.

Last edited by Magister Eckhart; 09-30-2011 at 02:55 PM.

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,670
    Given: 9,047

0 Not allowed!

Some Hispanics do. Remember, "hispanic" is an incredibly broad term, and incorporates Criollo (100% Euro), Castizo & Morisco (75% Euro), Mestizo & Mulatto (50% Euro), Coyote (25% Euro), Indio, Negro & Zambo (0% Euro). I think people tend to forget that Mulattos and Mestizo are both 50% non-Euro, because I've seen a lot of people elevate Mestizo above Mulatto, as if the savage Indianos are somehow superior to the savage Negroes. I am sure the Spaniards would never make such an error. Criollo and Castizo are really the superior groupings, but they, by and large, stay in their own countries (except Cuba, where the Mestizos took over and the Criollos and Castizos largely fled, if I am correctly informed).

EDIT: I've taken the time to illustrate this; hopefully I've got it right, but I welcome commentary and critique from our Spanish members.

Black and even pure black-Hispanics are just a minority in America as well as Pure Indians or Cayotes" . The average Hispanic is Mestizo (ranging from 45% to even 60% euro) since the largest group are Mexicans with +40 million, Castizos (ex.Mexico, Colombia, Chile) follow as second, then mulattoes and moriscos at 3rd place who many of them come from Caribbean countries like Cuba, PR, Dominican Rep.. Correction: Cuba isn't mestizo country it's rather a criollo and mulatto(black+white)e country, but you might find some folks with indigenous looks over there.

The biggest threat to the U.S are Caribbean blacks like Haitians, Jamaicans (not Hispanics), they breed like rabbits and are all over the place, to give you an idea of how the situation has worsen in the east-most tip of Cuba the Haitian population has reached an all time high of over 300,000 threatening to swallow the remaining mulattoes, criollos and moriscos there and become the majority. It's worst in South florida they have a part of the city named after them " Little Haiti".
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information