Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Did These Last Names Come From?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Where Did These Last Names Come From?

I know where a few of these came from, so I would like helping to know where the rest came from.

Father's Side:
    Only ones that I know of now are:
    McPeeks (two lines under the c, Scottish)
    Broc (English)

Mother's Side:
    Bentley (English)
    Hamilton (lowland Scottish)
    Newsom (Scottish/Irish?)
    Cornett
    Mullins (Irish)
    and a few others that I have forgotten atm.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-15-2015 @ 04:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Neo-European
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    I know where a few of these came from, so I would like helping to know where the rest came from.

Father's Side:
    Broc (English)

Mother's Side:
    Bentley (English)
    Newsom (Scottish/Irish?)
    Cornett
    Mullins (Irish)
    I can only find McPeeks distributed in the U.S. (most heavily in WV), so the name was probably altered in America from whatever the original form was. Houseofnames.com says the surname "McPeek" (with variations MacPeake, Peak, & Peake) is ultimately derived from Old English pekke (meaning "top of a hill or mountain," i.e., "peak") & was taken as a surname by a Norman family in Denbighshire, northern Wales. Whether the information about this alleged Welsh Norman family is accurate, I'll leave to others. But the supposed etymology is most likely false. The English word "peak" (c. 1520s!) was originally a variation of "pike" (c. 1510s), from Old French pique, & referred to a kind of weapon. Surnamedb.com has "MacPeake" (with variations McPaik, McPeake, McPaike & McPike) of Irish-Gaelic origin, meaning "son of Peic," with "Peic" being a name of unknown origin, although speculated to be from Old English peac, meaning "thickset." There is already so much speculation that I'll add a couple of my own for good measure: 1) A Celtized surname derived from Old English pic, meaning a pointed object or pickaxe (evidently a cognate of the French word that gave us "pike"; related to "prick" & "pitch" (as in, "pitch a tent")); 2) A Celticized surname derived from Old English peac, but from the people who settled the Peak District (Peaclond) in northern England, the Pecsaetan (this name is predates the English word "peak"). The first record of the name is for the marriage of James McPeake in Co. Antrim, Ireland in 1719.

For Broc, the distribution I found was centered around the southern half of France, but it has decent distribution up to Normandy, & occurs in southern England. Widespread but relatively uncommon in the U.S. HouseofNames.com says it (& variations Brock, Brocke, Brockes, Brocks, Brockx, & Broch) derives from Broc in Anjou, France. Surnamedb.com says that Brock could come from Old English brocc (modern English "brock"), meaning "badger", a borrowing from a Celtic language; or it could come from Old French broque or brocke, meaning "young stag"; or it could come from Old English broc, meaning "brook." The first record of the name is Joel le Broc in 1222.

Bentley is just very English, with wide distribution all over England; widespread in the U.S., slightly favoring the South, particularly KY & GA. It is from Old English beonet "bent-grass" + leah "clearing."

Hamilton is ultimately from Old English hamel "barren" (?) + dun "hill," the name of a village in Leicestershire, England. The origins of noble family Hamilton were in this town, but the family became established in Lanarkshire, Scotland, where the town of Hamilton was named for them. Some commoners in the latter Hamilton took this surname as well. Wide distribution through England, Scotland, & Northern Ireland, & throughout the U.S.

Newsom, a variation of Newsome, is derived from the name of one or the other of several English towns, ultimately from Old English neowan "new" + husum "houses." Distribution is primarily American (mostly the South); with a final "e," it occurs frequently in northern England.

Cornett is primarily American in distribution as well (particularly KY), but occurs with minor frequency in England, Scotland, & Northern Ireland. It's also evidently found in many parts of Germany. There is a village Cornett in Herefordshire, England. Houseofnames.com has it related to a variety of names (Corne, Cornay, Cornie, Cornall, etc.) & seems to indicate it's of Old English origin. Could possibly be from Old French cornet meaning "little horn," like the instrument.

Mullins is Irish, from Gaelic O Maolain "descendant of the bald one" or O Meallain "descendant of the pleasant one" (?); but could also be from Anglo-Norman, a development from French moulin, meaning "mill." There was a Mullins family too aboard the Mayflower when it landed at Plymouth. Distribution in the U.S. is centered in VA, WV, & KY. In Europe, most heavily in western & southern Ireland.

Some of the U.K. or Irish members here may be able to shed more light.
    Last edited by Odoacer; 11-16-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Father's Side:
    Broc (English)

Mother's Side:
    Bentley (English)
    Newsom (Scottish/Irish?)
    Cornett
    Mullins (Irish)
    There used to be this great little program/site on the internet, something called "Name Locator" or some such. I used it on Skadi years ago. Great little program if it's still around. Perhaps you can Google it, Argyll. Or if somebody would like to post the link if they have it handy?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    There used to be this great little program/site on the internet, something called "Name Locator" or some such. I used it on Skadi years ago. Great little program if it's still around. Perhaps you can Google it, Argyll. Or if somebody would like to post the link if they have it handy?
    This?
    http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Neo-European
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

BTW, 2 lines under the "c" doesn't make any difference as far as determining the origin of the surname. Many "Mc" surnames have been written with a superscript "c," sometimes underlined, sometimes not. In some cases this even became an apostrophe (e.g., M'Cheyne).

Banned
    Last Online
    07-12-2012 @ 12:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post

Whoo this is great! I put in my last name and my mothers maiden name and it both cases the county where their ancestors came from was dark blue.
    Last edited by Scrapple; 11-17-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post

I'm not quite sure it was this very one Os, but this one is great and works too! Thanks for posting it!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,710
    Given: 5,851

0 Not allowed!

Hamilton's pretty much a lowland name. Quite a common name here.

McPeeks. I think it's Irish, don't know any McPeeks.

Broc, I have a similar name in the family tree(Broke). Argyll you should do the 23andme.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Neo-European
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Ancestry.com is a great resource too if you're interested in learning about your genealogy, Argyll. (Its focus is primarily American, so probably not as useful for European members here.) I think you can get a free 14-day trial there, but otherwise you have to pay. I'd be willing to do some research for you there, if you'd like - but that would require some personal information. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Odoacer View Post
    Ancestry.com is a great resource too if you're interested in learning about your genealogy, Argyll. (Its focus is primarily American, so probably not as useful for European members here.) I think you can get a free 14-day trial there, but otherwise you have to pay. I'd be willing to do some research for you there, if you'd like - but that would require some personal information. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
    Actually Ancestry.com is a bit of a scam. The free trial period doesn't let you access much of anything unless you are willing to pay as a full member. I think if you access what is available over the pond, namely the BMD records in the UK that you can find online you'll be set for a bit, Argyll.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information