Moldova
    Region
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,750
    Given: 3,189

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    iImentioned RM for relevance over today's borders, while I meant Moldova as a region, its southeast, Budjak etc, which historically has always been a region populated by very different peoples that often went on to settle somewhere else, so the idea was Vlachs (Balkan Latin speakers) weren't the natives there, while Bulgars established themselves there over a longer time span. of course it's probably more about the Budjak region which is mostly south of what's RM today, in Ukraine. also, it's a bit confusing when speaking about Moldova region, whose historically relevant territories are those west of river Prut, since 99% of what is called the history of Moldova happened between Carpathians and Prut, and it can be confusing both for RM nationals who think anything Moldova refers to them and for foreigners who are unaware the core of Moldova lies in today's Romania. while I identify as Moldovan (as I do as Carpathian Rusnak as well) I don't link it to Balkan Latins exclusively and I am aware of the ethnic mix us Moldovans are, and Bulgarians are a part of our heritage, as Ruthenians/Ukrainians/Rusnaks, Russians/Lipovans, Greeks or to a lesser extent Tatars, Jews and Roma/Gypsies are as well.

just wanted to point that at the level of 19th century, by the ethnic division maps I've seen, Bulgarians were much more established by the Black Sea than Wallachians. of course, this bears little relevance today and should not worry anyone if mentioned. the main problem for RM at the moment I think is the possibility of it to disappear within the borders of Romania (which I don't welcome, as a Moldovan I wish the name continues as an independent country, even though we aren't part of it here west of the Prut, but I feel something dear to us would be lost if Moldova is out of the maps).

1861 ethnic division map, done by a French geographer (it doesn't show the Ukrainian Khokhols and the Russian Lipovans in the white are of the Danube Delta, I think they were already there, it would have completed the picture of how multi-ethnic the region was, and is, to an extent):

Spoiler!
    In some fairytales Bulgarians had some presence here, the region was conquered from Mongolo-Tatars in late 14th century.

which I don't welcome, as a Moldovan
    You are an Ukro/Romanian ethnic mutt, not Moldovan, with mostly anti-Moldovan rhetoric.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    In some fairytales Bulgarians had some presence here, the region was conquered from Mongolo-Tatars in late 14th century.

You are an Ukro/Romanian ethnic mutt, not Moldovan, with mostly anti-Moldovan rhetoric.
    my "Romanian" side is entirely Vaslui county countryside, you cannot be more Moldovan than that, it's both geographically and genetically the epicentre of Moldova - also culturally they are genuine Moldovans speaking the actual Moldovan dialect displaying many Old Slavic terms, not the Sovietized Romanian spoken in Rep. Moldova. the genuine Moldovan culture is not Soviet, so one can only find it West of river Prut, in the countryside, especially poorer areas that aren't yet fully Romanianized in accent/dialect, like my mom's village.

half Ukrainian half Moldovan is a very common mix in the northern half of Moldova both west and east of Prut, and in Ukraine where Moldovans live in Chernivtsi and Odesa regions, it's the most natural mix across Moldova when another ethnicity is involved.

never had anti-Moldovan rhetoric, it's only natural to acknowledge that Romania's displacement of Bulgarians from their Dobrudja homeland was wrong and we've lost culturally a part of our history since Bulgarians are a part of the Vlachosphere's DNA and ethnic genesis. but again, the relationship between the two countries is good now, so I don't say this to stir discussions, only to send a message of friendship to our Bulgarian bros.

also, Moldova has always been a multi-ethnic region, in the present being the least multi-ethnic in its entire known history, as previously it was always home for many different peoples, just to name the most recent natives of the region beyond Moldovans, including Bukovina: Lipovan Russians, Velikorussians, Hutsuls, Rusyns, Csango, Szekely, Poles, Germans, Czechoslovaks, Austrians, Greeks, Aromanians, Khokhols, Bulgarians, Gypsies, Jews, Armenians, Wallachians, Transylvanians, even Italians in Bukovina and Galatz... and it's always been a harmonious coexistence - they mixed among themselves to a degree and they all left their genes in the Moldovan gene pool
    Last edited by Nurzat; 08-02-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,034
    Given: 3,138

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    my "Romanian" side is entirely Vaslui county countryside, you cannot be more Moldovan than that, it's both geographically and genetically the epicentre of Moldova - also culturally they are genuine Moldovans speaking the actual Moldovan dialect displaying many Old Slavic terms, not the Sovietized Romanian spoken in Rep. Moldova. the genuine Moldovan culture is not Soviet, so one can only find it West of river Prut, in the countryside, especially poorer areas that aren't yet fully Romanianized in accent/dialect, like my mom's village.
    Why do you use quotation marks? If I'm not mistaken, you have Romanian from your mother's side. Have you tested your mom (DNA test)? Is she a Romanianized Slav or something like that?
    Moldovans from Vaslui (this is in Romania, for foreigners), identify as Romanians. I don’t have the ethnicity of mureșean, for example. It would be so weird. Imagine a person who's a Californian and not an "American".
    In real life, the people I’ve met who were from Romania’s region of Moldova, Bacău for example, simply consider themselves Romanians. Unless, they are of a different ethnic background, or mixed with other ethnicities and prefer to identify as something else.
    Last edited by Cybele; 08-02-2023 at 08:40 PM.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybele View Post
    Why do you use quotation marks? If I'm not mistaken, you have Romanian from your mother's side. Have you tested your mom (DNA test)? Is she a Romanianized Slav or something like that?
    Moldovans from Vaslui (this is in Romania, for foreigners), identify as Romanians. I don’t have the ethnicity of mureșean, for example. It would be so weird. Imagine a person who's a Californian and not an "American".
    In real life, the people I’ve met who were from Romania’s region of Moldova, Bacău for example, simply consider themselves Romanians. Unless, they are of a different ethnic background, or mixed with other ethnicities and prefer to identify as something else.
    each is free to identify as he pleases, especially since regarding Moldova and Moldovans the things aren't quite simple or settled, with a nearby state called Moldova while the core historically-relevant Moldovan territory is within Romania now and Moldovan national identity would be open for debate if people would care, but it is indeed a non-subject in Romania and people identify as Romanian as nationality but they do identify as Moldovans as a first layer, regional one, which you cannot erase from them - only that they automatically consider Moldovan identity to be included in the Romanian one, I agree. the quotation marks were because Aspirin tendentiously used "Romanian" as in denying Moldovans in Moldova region (the relevant one, west of Prut) Moldovan identity, even at regional level (on par with Muntenian, Banat, Oltenian etc) and opposed it to Moldovan identity in the RM - which is indeed different culturally now with their Soviet layer which we don't have, but in terms of Moldovanness, well, in no way they are closer to Moldovan identity previous to unification than a countryside Moldovan west of Prut. at best they're on par, if not west of Prut we find the more genuine Moldovans, with no Soviet layer and also in some villages without much Romanianization until recently (Romanian mass culture I mean, that standardized across regions to homogenize the regions, which entered the villages slowly, with television and peasant displacement to urban areas for work)

Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 04:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bulgar
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    Byzantine + Scythian (5.528) Seleucid + Scythian (5.695) Seleucid + Gaul (7.389) Byzantine + Gaul
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Y-DNA
    E-FTD7860 / maternal grandparents I-p37, J-M172
    mtDNA
    J1c-C16261T
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Religion
    Orthodoxy Christianity
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,896
    Given: 1,003

1 Not allowed!

You are wrong, since the creation of Bulgaria in 681. in Northern Dobrudja, which is the heart of the new state, Bulgarians lived and live to this day
    ...Even if a man lives well, he dies and another one comes into existence. Let the one who comes later upon seeing this inscription remember the one who had made it. And the name is Omurtag, Kanasubigi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information