Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Upper-middle class Londoners vs upper-middle class Parisians - compare and contrast

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,584
    Given: 5,781

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Funnily enough, Nice didn't strike me as being that multiracial, and even Toulon was middle-of-the-road, so to speak.
    Im surprised by that, Nice is up there, not quite Marseille level but it's known to be filled with people of immigrants background, and high crime rate often making the news. You may not have wandered into the more "quartier populaire" (popular quarters, which is the polite word gov members use for places with a lot of blacks and NA, which became sort of a meme). Some parts of Nice itself, and certainly the "Arianne" area which is Nice's own banlieue.

That's why i tried to explain in the other thread, it's incredibly difficult to give a representative average city in France when it comes to diversity, it's a complicated scheme between who's there and who lives there.

Last Online
    05-08-2024 @ 01:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by French Rolland View Post

Here you have yellow jackets (so mostly lower class and lower middle class) from a city between Bourgogne and Lyon. So center-east of the country.
    Well, if it is that all or most of them are French natives, they do not seem to me physically so different from the Iberians, for example I see more difference in areas like Normandy or the border areas with Germany and Switzerland than in the center of France.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    French mix
    Ancestry
    Provençal, Auvergnat, Champenois, breton
    Country
    France
    Region
    Provence
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Bolsomito
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

1 Not allowed!

Iberians and french overlap indeed. When I traveled in Aragon, I never met someone who looked sharply distinct from french. Language excluded, the main thing to distinguish them is the way of life and clothing styles.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,388
    Given: 43,884

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    Im surprised by that, Nice is up there, not quite Marseille level but it's known to be filled with people of immigrants background, and high crime rate often making the news. You may not have wandered into the more "quartier populaire" (popular quarters, which is the polite word gov members use for places with a lot of blacks and NA, which became sort of a meme). Some parts of Nice itself, and certainly the "Arianne" area which is Nice's own banlieue.

That's why i tried to explain in the other thread, it's incredibly difficult to give a representative average city in France when it comes to diversity, it's a complicated scheme between who's there and who lives there.
    As your compatriot explained, most immigrants in Nice are rich Europeans. When there, I'd even say I came across more Brazilians (tourists in the main, of course, plus a couple of prostitutes) than Algerians or Beninese.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,388
    Given: 43,884

0 Not allowed!

But returning more strictly to topic: how much overlap would you say there is between the two OP samples?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,584
    Given: 5,781

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    As your compatriot explained, most immigrants in Nice are rich Europeans. When there, I'd even say I came across more Brazilians (tourists in the main, of course, plus a couple of prostitutes) than Algerians or Beninese.
    I wouldn't agree totally with that. The whole Côte d'Azur has many rich Europeans coming for vacation and some eventually settling there in the bunch but Nice is i would say one of the least preferred spot on the Riviera in that regard. Those who settle here are rather found in the back countryside of the coastline, like Mougins, Valbonne, Biot, Vence, Cap d'Antibes,... It would be a bit of shame to come live in southern France to end up in a metropolis like Nice. Nice is not even French per say, or at least it's recently French (annexed in 1860)

As surprising as it might be this is the location of Brits who settled in France, they tend to look for less dense areas like the West/SW contrary to the myth that all of them are in Provence:

They are less than 1% of the population in Nice. In my place i see a lot but not all live there, they just come over in the summer for the most part.

Last Online
    01-14-2024 @ 01:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    King of England
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    There are overlap in each country anyway. For instance i do geniunely believe George Clooney look is more questionnable in France, like i would definetely wonder if he s fully native (they are buddies with Dujardin).

I think there is also a bias as to what each of us are accustomed to see in terms of range in looks, not necesarily that some are more "odd" than others (huge exaggeration)
    George Clooney passes best as a White American, second best as a White Australian. Americans of mainly north western european descent have been mixing with each other for a while, in so much that they've created new phenotypes. This new phenotype can be seen in people like George Clooney and Joe Biden. The latter who only likes to claim his Irish ancestry, yet he also has English and German ancestry, which is another topic of discussion regarding Irish American identity in the United States.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information