Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have We Raised An Entire Generation Of Young Men That Do Not Know How To Be Men?

Last Online
    10-07-2013 @ 01:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Politics
    Sick of all the bullshit
    Religion
    Immune to crap
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Have We Raised An Entire Generation Of Young Men That Do Not Know How To Be Men?

Have we completely and totally failed an entire generation of young men? Have we failed to equip them with the tools that they need? Have we raised an entire generation of young men that do not know how to be men? Today, young adult men are nearly twice as likely to live with their parents as young adult women are, and young adult men are much less likely to go to college than young adult women are. Now I want to make something perfectly clear before we proceed. The point of this article is not to slam women or drag them down. Not at all. Rather, the goal of this article is to point out that we have a real problem with our young men and that they are lagging way behind. Vast numbers of them don't want to go to college, don't want to pursue careers, don't want to get married and don't want to take on any serious responsibilities. Of course there are always exceptions. In fact, there are some young men out there that are absolutely outstanding. However, what this article is trying to say is that the overall trends all point to the fact that our system has raised up a crop of young men that are generally weak, directionless, wimpified and unwilling to take responsibility. This is not a good thing.

What comes to your mind when you think of men under the age of 30 in America today? Does an image of an irresponsible, sex crazed, beer swilling slacker come to mind?

Unfortunately, that stereotype is way too true. We have failed our young men. We did not teach them how to be men. Yes, as I noted earlier, there are definitely exceptions to this, but in general we have a real problem on our hands.

Let take a look at some of the hard numbers.

As a recent CNN article noted, young men between the ages of 25 and 34 are almost twice as likely to live with their parents as young women the same age are....

The number of adult children who live with their parents, especially young males, has soared since the economy started heading south. Among males age 25 to 34, 19% live with their parents today, a 5 percentage point increase from 2005, according to Census data released Thursday. Meanwhile, 10% of women in that age group live at home, up from 8% six years ago.

Among the college-aged set, the 18- to 24-year-olds, 59% of males and 50% of females lived with their parents, up from 53% and 46%, respectively.

So what in the world is causing this?

Men that are between 25 and 34 should be in their prime working years. Instead, almost one out of every five of them is living with mommy and daddy.

This is a major problem. Rather than working hard, taking responsibility and building their own lives, we have way too many young men that are living in our basements and that spend much of their time watching television or playing video games.

The lack of ambition among many of our young men is absolutely appalling. Today, young women are far more likely to pursue a college education than young men are. According to the New York Times, approximately 57 percent of all young people enrolled at U.S. colleges are women. That means that only about 43 percent are men.

As I have written about previously, unemployment is also rampant among our young people.

Only 55.3% of all Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 were employed last year. That was the lowest level that we have seen since World War II.

Today, there are millions of young men that are sitting around with no job, no hope and no direction in life.

But even many of those that do have jobs are not making much money. The number of the "working poor" in America is rapidly increasing, and this is especially true among young adults. Since the year 2000, incomes for U.S. households led by someone between the ages of 25 and 34 have fallen by about 12 percent after you adjust for inflation.

In the past, women always complained about the "gender gap" when it came to wages, but today we are actually seeing that reversed among our young people. In fact, author Guy Garcia says that women in their twenties now earn more money than men of the same age in the ten largest cities in the United States.

This current generation of men also seems to be extremely hesitant to take on the responsibilities of marriage and family. Today, an all-time low 44.2% of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 are married.

Instead, most young men seem to want to run around "hooking up" with as many women as possible without any consequences.

But there are consequences. The irresponsible behavior of our young men is putting an incredible amount of strain on our young women.

For example, in 2010 42 percent of all single mothers in the United States were on food stamps.

So what is causing all of this?

Well, certainly there are a lot of factors, but it certainly does not help that men are almost always portrayed as weak, irresponsible, sex-crazed idiots on television and in our movies.

This point was made very well in a recent article in The Washington Times....

If the fall TV season is any guide, the sexual revolution that was supposed to liberate men and women from traditional sex roles seems to have resulted instead in a straight-up role reversal. The male characters are messes — insecure, jobless, barely able to dress themselves without a wife or girlfriend and/or living in mom’s proverbial basement. Their female counterparts, meanwhile, are flaunting the same selfish, boorish ways that once got men called “chauvinist pigs.”

Today, our society generally does not teach young men that they should be strong, noble, ambitious and eager to take responsibility.

Instead, we are constantly sending our young men the message that we expect them to act like idiots, drink lots of beer, chase women and pretty much be as lazy as possible.

I fear that we have failed this entire generation of young men. Yes, there are many that have turned out great, but in general we have a real mess on our hands.

So what can we do about all of this?

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...-how-to-be-men
    "The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    You follow yours...I follow none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,676
    Given: 12,354

0 Not allowed!

Part of the issue here is the parents who enable such behaviors in their children.
    Last edited by rhiannon; 11-08-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-18-2012 @ 09:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish
    Ancestry
    Mom- Irish, German, Swedish....... Dad - Irish, German, Swiss
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    North American Domestic Redneck
    Politics
    Party of Peace Through Superior Firepower
    Religion
    High Priest of the Cult of the Wicked M-16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

I fear that we have failed this entire generation of young men. Yes, there are many that have turned out great, but in general we have a real mess on our hands.

I and other military senior enlisted men have been saying this for years.

I have served with some truly fine examples of young men. Some others, not so much. And the ones I see who never tried anything - military, school, work - well we got problems.

If we could get our hands on them young enough (under 20) we could go a long way to turning them around. But there were enough I had experience with that nothing could be done.

The entire blame can be laid at the feet of the previous generation. Hell I see it here in my civilian career. The number of my coworkers who have 20-30 y/o sons living at home, leading dissolute lives is amazing.

When I was some of these guys age, I was working on a military career, getting additional education and starting a family. These guys are only worried about who will fix dinner and where they are going to score thier next bag of weed.

Some of the females are just as bad. There are plenty of guys who are raising thier grandkids. Mainly due to thier daughters getting knocked up by some soul brother who sure as hell won't live up to his responsobility.

Sad situation.

Sometimes I think we need a major "cleansing" event to happen. Barring that, Our society needs a seriously loud wake up call.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Well, I see it being related to feminism and sex. Traditionally, the impetus for men getting careers and living on their own was to get laid. Now, due to women's loose sexual habits, ,and their financial independence(largely funded through welfare), men just have to go to a bar to get laid. If you don't need to "be a man" to get a woman, what's the point?

The reality is that, given the current sexual environment, many men's refusal to "grow up" is actually logical.
    Last edited by Curtis24; 11-08-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Last Online
    12-06-2013 @ 11:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pale Face
    Ethnicity
    Pale Ass
    Ancestry
    The southern united states.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    White Booty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

Im 19 and still live with my parents...i cant afford not to. With grocery prices the way that they are i would be lucky to be able to it,never mind luxary items or having fun.

So the choice is struggle on without having fun or live with parents and have fun on the side.

If you want a love life then yeah its not such a wise choice....but i dont care about sex or romance right now so it all works out.

Марко Краљевић

0 Not allowed!

Tyler Durden in "Fight Club" said: "We are the generation of men raised by the women". In all honesty divorce rate is rampant in western society, leaving under aged boys without proper father figure in the teenage years. Where our fathers were toughened by their fathers, in which in many cases plain brute force would be used, we are without control encouraged in boyish behavior by our current society.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

0 Not allowed!

Right, well, encouraged in boyish behavior by women, who don't necessarily respect or want to sleep with men who earn their own keep. I know plenty of deadbeat living-with-their-parents musicians who are quite sexually successful, and plenty of high-earning men who struggle to find a girlfriend.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

I think we're all ignoring the economic roots of this problem. All of these men have college loans, some near $100,000: without these loans, they can't go to school, something society has taught them they must do, but under that sort of debt, most can't get a good start in the job market. Add into this mixture the fact that the 19-27 demographic has an unemployment rate of something in the vicinity of 20 per cent in the United States, and you're looking at an entire generation who are not being allowed to move out of their parents' house unless they're willing to sleep on a park bench under a ceiling of cardboard. Frankly, it's not our fault and it's not our failure - many of us have already succeeded greatly, but our success means nothing because it is not producing any financial gain. I say "us" because I'm in this demographic, working a minimum-wage job for under 30 hours a week and struggling to survive.

While I will not dispute that the Baby Boomers have failed, their failures as human beings and members of the national community are far greater than their failures as parents. People born between 1945 and 1965 have destroyed the entire Western world, and now refuse to move out of the way so that we can fix it. We see a Negro elected president, the realisation of their dreams, and in a bad economy they refuse to retire and make space for the rising generation -- a generation which must bear a far greater burden than any of them, greedy, selfish, and solipsistic, have ever had to bear.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 20

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post
    Right, well, encouraged in boyish behavior by women, who don't necessarily respect or want to sleep with men who earn their own keep. I know plenty of deadbeat living-with-their-parents musicians who are quite sexually successful, and plenty of high-earning men who struggle to find a girlfriend.
    Do you think that is why some of these men get mail-order brides from Asia or elsewhere?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy