View Poll Results: Home Rule United Ireland?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this would benefit Ireland as a whole.

8 50.00%
  • No, I prefer the split.

6 37.50%
  • I'm unsure or undecided on the matter.

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you support a United Ireland under these circumstances?

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Would you support a United Ireland under these circumstances?

If the Republic were brought into the Realm/Commonwealth in accordance with Parnell's Home Rule movement rather than the total independence it now enjoys (and has done little with), would you support a unified Ireland?
    Last edited by Magister Eckhart; 11-13-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

1 Not allowed!

'Commonwealth' doesn't mean anything, though. As far as it touches my life, it's just an excuse to have an athletics event every few years.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    'Commonwealth' doesn't mean anything, though. As far as it touches my life, it's just an excuse to have an athletics event every few years.
    Fair enough, then. "Under the crown".

Kretschmonaut Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    българин
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Discordianism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,090
    Given: 4,184

1 Not allowed!

I'm an outsider, but would say Yes.

Last Online
    07-20-2014 @ 09:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

2 Not allowed!

Bring it on, if they want real civil war on the streets.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

1 Not allowed!

Despite my Irish ancestors actually being Scottish protestant planters I believe a united Ireland would be the best thing for it.
    Ireland needs to get the Catholic church out of the equation though so as not to upset the protestants - a secular nation or at least Christian but with no official denomination.

The protestants were formerly the ones most in support of a independent Ireland within the Commonwealth. It is only when they realised that they'd lose power and that the Catholics would maybe get their own back that they ditched the idea in favour of staying with Britain.

If Scotland leaves the UK it'll be interesting to see what happens in NI. A lot of them generally like Scotland and show loyalty to the UK but show no love of England whatsoever.
    I suppose the clue is in the name Ulster Scots.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

That isn’t accurate at all. How can you say most have no love for England at all?

Practically all Ulster Protestants have English ancestry of some description, even in certain events like football, the vast majority support England, hence when England played in the World Cup the flag of St George was displayed outside numerous pubs up and down the Country and vast-numbers of people walked around in England tops and not to mention the vast numbers of English people who have moved to Northern Ireland particularly in the last decade due to the relevant peace in the Country and how safe and better life is in Northern Ireland compared to the British Mainland, better education results, low crime rate, and not as heavily infected by the foreign invasion.

On a purely personal level, I don’t support the English football team, as much as I have an affinity for England, I believe if England ever won a major competition the likes of Rio Ferdinard and Ashley Cole would be used to promote the so-called great benefits of multiculturalism.

As for the term Ulster Scots or known as Scots Irish in America, is mainly common amongst those in North Antrim, were the connections with Scotland have been strong since before the kingdom of Dalriada.

An All Ireland economy being better for all the people?... NO OFFENCE, but have you ever been here?

I honestly am not attacking you, but you do realise that people travel from Cork (the very bottom of Republic of Ireland)to Northern Ireland just to do their weekly shopping, the prices down South are that bad, as for the infrastructure, go outside the main roads, heavily subsidised by the European Union, and the roads are terrible, in rural parts it’s like going back 30 years to the 1970s shops with out fridges and cans of coke sitting on the shelves, amount houses with outside toilets, and as for the roads they are pot hole galore.

Along the border, thousands of citizens in the Irish Republic, send their kids to school in Northern Ireland for their education, thousands come to Northern Ireland to join the Royal Irish Regiment and for their work, just you come to Enniskillen, Londonderry, Newry for a day, even as far as Belfast, the amount a Irish who travel up even for work is staggering.

Very recently the Irish government had to abandoned a road programme jointly with the British Government to further link the North West of Ulster with Dublin, why because they have no money.

Outside of the big Cities down South, any one who tries to even tell the people in Ulster that they would be better off linked up with Eire are mad.

When Northern Ireland came into existence, the population of Londonderry per head of population increased more quickly than any other City in the British Isles, why because they all fled across the border for a better life and they are still doing it today.

In Coleraine University, right at the North Coast, over 20% of the ten thousand students on the campus are from the Republic of Ireland, many of them come here because they want to be qualified at a British University to secure a job within the U.K.

All this crap about old Ireland, is better off stirred by Irish Americans on their fiddles, and the aul yarning about aul Ireland, the Island they love so bloody much. Outside that Country who that famous Irishman Conor Cruise O’Brien said : “some of the best conmen and women in the world”, just come and see the real picture for yourselves, and have a conversation with some a these Irish citizens who choose to move to Northern Ireland and they will tell you how better off the people of Northern Ireland are compared to the South.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

1 Not allowed!

How can you say most have no love for England at all?
    That is what I've been led to believe by some protestants in NI and other Brits alike. My first hand experience is scant, I've never really raised this issue with Ulster Scots in my family or with any of the others I know of.
    I suppose they can't exactly hate us, enough have come to England - I'am proof of this, but I think many over in NI feel abandoned by Westminster and they equate that with England sadly.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Practically all Ulster Protestants have English ancestry of some description, even in certain events like football, the vast majority support England, hence when England played in the World Cup the flag of St George was displayed outside numerous pubs up and down the Country and vast-numbers of people walked around in England tops and not to mention the vast numbers of English people who have moved to Northern Ireland particularly in the last decade due to the relevant peace in the Country and how safe and better life is in Northern Ireland compared to the British Mainland, better education results, low crime rate, and not as heavily infected by the foreign invasion.
    I really didn't know this, but I hope your not painting false, rosy images in my mind without any real basis.

I knew there has been English settlement in Northern Ireland, but I always understood it to be vastly outweighed by Scottish settlement.
    The English have been in Ireland since the Normans, but I think the real movement there came with the planters.
    But if what you say is true about the support for England then I'am pleasantly surprised.

I thought the immigration was from Ulster, not to it.

On a purely personal level, I don’t support the English football team, as much as I have an affinity for England, I believe if England ever won a major competition the likes of Rio Ferdinard and Ashley Cole would be used to promote the so-called great benefits of multiculturalism.
    Very wise.

An All Ireland economy being better for all the people?... NO OFFENCE, but have you ever been here?
    Nope. My farther has, but me never.

I wasn't talking in economic terms though, I was talking in practical terms of having a island united.

I honestly am not attacking you, but you do realise that people travel from Cork (the very bottom of Republic of Ireland)to Northern Ireland just to do their weekly shopping
    Yes, I knew that.

heavily subsidised by the European Union, and the roads are terrible, in rural parts it’s like going back 30 years to the 1970s shops with out fridges and cans of coke sitting on the shelves, amount houses with outside toilets, and as for the roads they are pot hole galore.
    Well the so-called "Celtic Tiger" is nothing without the EU or Britain and the supposed economic miracle was just EU cash pouring into the republic.

Even as late as the 70s and 80s the Irish from the republic were coming over here to work, the Punt pegged to the Pound and their economy dependent on Britain. For a long time the republic was backwards and agrarian whilst the north was far more prosperous as part of Britain.
    Generally the attitude from Britain to the republic was of Britain being in charge still, I think that is why the Irish were so keen to show off their short lived economic success.

When Northern Ireland came into existence, the population of Londonderry per head of population increased more quickly than any other City in the British Isles, why because they all fled across the border for a better life and they are still doing it today.
    I did wonder why the balance had tipped from Protestant to Catholic majority. I thought it was largely because of Catholics out-breeding protestants and the protestants leaving because of the troubles.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

That is what I've been led to believe by some protestants in NI and other Brits alike. My first hand experience is scant, I've never really raised this issue with Ulster Scots in my family or with any of the others I know of.
    I suppose they can't exactly hate us, enough have come to England - I'am proof of this, but I think many over in NI feel abandoned by Westminster and they equate that with England sadly.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course.
    Well anyone who equates the English people with Westminster is stupid, especially considering that Ulster MPs sit in Westminster and the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (Regardless of my own hatred towards him) promotes the links with the Ulster Unionist Party and the Conservatives, before him Gordon Brown, an idiot but the son of a Scottish Presbyterian Minister and before him Tony Blair, despite being one of the biggest pricks in history, his grandfather was a Orangeman from Donegal.

Obviously there is a small minority of Unionists who might come out with absolute rubbish towards the English, people who speak out of their backsides, but they are the minority and in most cases it’s banter. Similar way there is a divide in Northern Ireland between people from Belfast and the Countryside, I’m a Belfast man myself, I lived outside the town for a few years in a Country Town, 50 miles from Belfast, my work mates constantly slagged me for being from Belfast, and called me a Jamesy, in Scotland, you have people from Edinburgh who detest Glaswegians, in England, the rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire is legendary, a work colleague of mine originally from the East End of London, true Cockneys (who fled to Northern Ireland to escape mass invasion of multi-racial inner city London the same as the other cockneys and brummies who have moved here to escape the same), slags the hell out of people from the West Country, people in Manchester slag the hell of Liverpool, not to mention the North –South divide, and a fortnight ago I was in Bristol and they seemed to slag away at the Welsh.

The point I’m making is the odd bit of stereotypical bull-shit and sheer banter is wide-spread through out the U.K. in Northern Ireland however the concept of anti-Englishness animosity simply isn’t true or accurate, even within the Irish republican community, while many hate the Army and some most certainly do hate the English, the cultural and blood links are astronomical. I doubt there’s a paddie in the Island of Ireland who hasn’t some sort of blood connection to the British Mainland, any American who can’t accept that. Take a wee visit to the likes of Birmingham (when the Birmingham pub bombings happened, some a those killed were off Irish descent most notably the two brother), Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, London, Islington in particular and any City in the British Isles and you’re sure to find a GAA club or a Irish centre of some description.

I really didn't know this, but I hope your not painting false, rosy images in my mind without any real basis.

I knew there has been English settlement in Northern Ireland, but I always understood it to be vastly outweighed by Scottish settlement.
    The English have been in Ireland since the Normans, but I think the real movement there came with the planters.
    But if what you say is true about the support for England then I'am pleasantly surprised.

I thought the immigration was from Ulster, not to it.

Well all I can say to that is at the last census that is available, the 2011 isn’t in the public domain as yet. There was 450000 more people living in Northern Ireland who were born in England than Scotland the fiqures were roughly 16000+ born in Scotland and 64000+ born in England. A considerable number considering how small Northern Irelands population is at that time, and since then the numbers have improved considerably.

While the plantation obviously was a big factor, there was a mass migration in the 1930s, people have to remember at a time Belfast was a real industrial power house, outside the Clyde it had one of the most famous shipyards in the World massive linen and rope works.

As for the balance of power-shifting, over 20% of Roman Catholics in Northern Ireland according to recent opinion polls want Northern Ireland to remain in the U.K. a considerable number are indifferent.

Many will never vote for mainstream Unionist parties, some do and are members, young Roman Catholics from the Falls Road joining the UUP and other prominent members. On Saturday I canvassed on the Newtownards Road in Loyalist East Belfast with members of the BNP, two of those in our group were Roman Catholics who are proud to be British, as more and more people move on from the troubles parties from the British Mainland like the Conservatives and even the BNP could win and in terms of membership are getting members from the Roman Catholic community.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlueBear View Post
    Bring it on, if they want real civil war on the streets.
    On what grounds? The present state of Northern Ireland is not terribly different than what Parnell and the Home Rulers proposed for Ireland in the 1890s. I should think most NI (except the IRA crowd) would welcome such a union.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information