View Poll Results: Home Rule United Ireland?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this would benefit Ireland as a whole.

8 50.00%
  • No, I prefer the split.

6 37.50%
  • I'm unsure or undecided on the matter.

2 12.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you support a United Ireland under these circumstances?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-23-2015 @ 09:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    American (colonial)
    Ancestry
    English, Scotch-Irish, & German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Wessex
    Y-DNA
    Scots Model R1b-L21-L1335-L1605+
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Nordic/Alpine mixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,134
    Given: 12,909

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Baluarte View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe in democracy. Plus I'm just stating something that is factual: Those people aren't Irish by blood, and they do not identify as Irish either. Not ordering anything.
    I was referring to when you said they certainly dont belong in Ireland- that' not factual, just an opinion.

IMO, It's up to the people of Northern Ireland to decide who belongs there or who doesn't, since it's their country.

and it seems obvious you dont believe in democracy. I got that much.
    Last edited by Weedman; 12-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk-n-Stupid View Post
    that is stupid. are you seriously that ignorant?

In Ireland one's religious affiliation actually is more about his ethnic/political affiliation than religion
    I already know that, dummy. I was being sarcastic. People on here are making it seem like the Republic of Ireland is really the Holy Catholic Realm of Ireland and that the Pope is Head of State. Of course the conflict has always been more about Nationalist vs. Unionist more than Catholic vs. Protestant per se. I've been saying that for years. Protestants who fought for the Nationalist cause (Robert Emmet, Wolfe Tone etc.) are a testament to that fact.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,455
    Given: 28,922

1 Not allowed!

There won't be a United Ireland in the forseeable future. Most people have accepted that it would only take place if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote for it. The Republic of Ireland has a close relationship with Britain and they cooperate with each other in a number of areas. Britain and Ireland have a free travel area so it is not like people can't move back and forth. Ireland and Britain are large trading partners. There is a lot of shared ancestry between the islands. If Northern Ireland want be remain a part of Brtain that is their choice. The Republic of Ireland is quite happy to leave things as they are. It is only by a majority of people voting to become part of a United Ireland in Northern Ireland that this would happen. I also believe there would be a vote in the Republic of Ireland on whether they would want to accept a United Ireland if and when Northern Ireland voted for this. It is not something that is going to happen anytime soon.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 01:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British, Irish, German, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Ohio
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M269)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,083

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    There won't be a United Ireland in the forseeable future. Most people have accepted that it would only take place if the majority of people in Northern Ireland vote for it. The Republic of Ireland has a close relationship with Britain and they cooperate with each other in a number of areas. Britain and Ireland have a free travel area so it is not like people can't move back and forth. Ireland and Britain are large trading partners. There is a lot of shared ancestry between the islands. If Northern Ireland want be remain a part of Brtain that is their choice. The Republic of Ireland is quite happy to leave things as they are. It is only by a majority of people voting to become part of a United Ireland in Northern Ireland that this would happen. I also believe there would be a vote in the Republic of Ireland on whether they would want to accept a United Ireland if and when Northern Ireland voted for this. It is not something that is going to happen anytime soon.
    Just think what it would have been like if Greek Orthodox had been the sole denomination of Christianity in past centuries. The British Isles might have been one single country. There would have been no religious divisions, thus there probably would have been a unified state. Of course, the rulers might have found even more economic and/or political reasons to divide the people.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,455
    Given: 28,922

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celxon View Post
    Just think what it would have been like if Greek Orthodox had been the sole denomination of Christianity in past centuries. The British Isles might have been one single country. There would have been no religious divisions, thus there probably would have been a unified state. Of course, the rulers might have found even more economic and/or political reasons to divide the people.
    Possibly but it is really not a religious conflict. It is about the division of Ireland. This was created by Britain. The British really thought the Irish were inferior and treated the Catholic Irish that way. If the Catholic Irish became Protestant then they wouldn't be viewed as so inferior. People can say all they want but this was the case. I used to get really annoyed about this subject and in all honestly I hated the British. I've come to terms with the situation because it is the past and people were pretty ignorant then. The British really had a superiour attitude and felt that everyone was sub-human. The British people today are not to blame because of the actions of their ancestors. In fact many British today can look at what happened in the past and see how their own ancestors could have been victims of this discrimination. You can go crazy reliving the past. People should move on. This whole question of a United Ireland just brings back all our nonsensical tribal affiliations. Today we are more intelligent hopefully?

We can't live in the past because there are no solutions. Let's move forward and look at our similarities. We are much more similar than previously thought. Just look at genetics. Let me put it this way do people think that the Irish and British are very different? Well then what are we fighting for?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 01:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British, Irish, German, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Ohio
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M269)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,083

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Possibly but it is really not a religious conflict. It is about the division of Ireland. This was created by Britain. The British really thought the Irish were inferior and treated the Catholic Irish that way. If the Catholic Irish became Protestant then they wouldn't be viewed as so inferior. People can say all they want but this was the case. I used to get really annoyed about this subject and in all honestly I hated the British. I've come to terms with the situation because it is the past and people were pretty ignorant then. The British really had a superiour attitude and felt that everyone was sub-human. The British people today are not to blame because of the actions of their ancestors. In fact many British today can look at what happened in the past and see how their own ancestors could have been victims of this discrimination. You can go crazy reliving the past. People should move on. This whole question of a United Ireland just brings back all our nonsensical tribal affiliations. Today we are more intelligent hopefully?

We can't live in the past because there are no solutions. Let's move forward and look at our similarities. We are much more similar than previously thought. Just look at genetics. Let me put it this way do people think that the Irish and British are very different? Well then what are we fighting for?
    I understand. Religion was used as a means to an end, which was the divisive subordination of Ireland. The nominal Catholics and nominal Protestants, who committed horrible acts, were not true examples of Christianity, so we're in agreement there. The homicidal zealots weren't Christ-like, either. My point was that a uniform denomination of Christianity would have prevented the religious divisions that were exploited by despotic dictators and royalty, as well as religious fanatics. The British Isles might have become a single state under those circumstances. I said "might" because nationalism, with no religious component, could have led to secession too. The history of the USA proved that was a realistic possibility.

Foul race mixing extraterrestrial Xenomorph's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-28-2015 @ 06:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    About two-thirds Irish, one-third German, a little Austrian, a little French, a little Italian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, probably somewhere around Dublin; Bavaria in Germany; somewhere in Austria, somewhere in Fr
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Celtic, Germanic (Irish and Bavarian)
    Politics
    Alternative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 199

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celxon View Post
    While you have a point, why would Greek Orthodox be the sole sect?

Rollin' like a super sonic
    Another fool that gets down on it

Values, culture, language, not race.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information