Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on hipsters?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-29-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Czech Republic, Germany, French Huguenot, Ireland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    apolitical
    Religion
    agnostic, born Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I do believe that my generation and younger are somehow qualitatively different than older generations. How so, its hard to say. It probably has more to do with the fact that most of us do not have to financially support ourselves - most of the wealth is still controlled by Baby-Boomers, and the lack of professional achievement or self-sufficiency amongst many young people seems to be causing a lot of strange, dare-I-say neurotic behavior.

Reminds of me of "herbivorous men" in Japan.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-26-2011 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    baptized Catholic as an infant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post
    I do believe that my generation and younger are somehow qualitatively different than older generations. How so, its hard to say. It probably has more to do with the fact that most of us do not have to financially support ourselves - most of the wealth is still controlled by Baby-Boomers, and the lack of professional achievement or self-sufficiency amongst many young people seems to be causing a lot of strange, dare-I-say neurotic behavior.

It is true and also older generations forget that for every European person today who is a 20-something there are only, a generalization, three others. Whereas in our parents time for every one of them there were ten others.

This has massive cultural implications on all levels for young people.
    Last edited by Austin; 12-04-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Last Online
    11-16-2014 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sex Panther
    Taxonomy
    Nordid/DaloFaelid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis24 View Post

Although I greatly admire the WWII, 'Greatest Generation,' a lot of their success comes down to fortuitous circumstances. The economy is denying our generation any chance to prosper, at least right now. It's kind of difficult to have self-sufficiency and professional achievement when people coming out of college can't even get jobs. If you put any other generation in our shoes, the results would be the same.
    þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl View Post
    Although I greatly admire the WWII, 'Greatest Generation,' a lot of their success comes down to fortuitous circumstances. The economy is denying our generation any chance to prosper, at least right now. It's kind of difficult to have self-sufficiency and professional achievement when people coming out of college can't even get jobs. If you put any other generation in our shoes, the results would be the same.

Yes if I never have to hear one more god-damned ignorant forty-something with a 100k+ job tell me to go "work your way up to a good job like I did" it will be fine by me.

Older generations are deluded, contemptuous, and above all mundanely-clueless as to what the job market is like for college grads seeing as when they entered it the job market was fundamentally different and not everybody and their idiot brother had a degree with a 4.0.

Have perfect grades from a top university? Guess what? So do those three million people over there >. Get in line and be ready to take no benefits for two years and ready to sign that you will accept whatever the hell we say you will or we will whore out the next temporary slave before we axe their benefits and position right before they are made permanent just like we will do with you. Work for us for 5 years? Ahahahahahaha thanks no thanks we save more hiring temps and then cutting them right before they gain seniority.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
    I don't think that is so true. It's made more so in the commercial culture of all subgroups against each other. Parents going against their children actually really helps youth culture. Media brainwashed parents get all these fears, lost basic parenting skills and just make wrecks.

Anyway, they're bloody nerds, with nerd idols:

[YOUTUBE]zhiv_SnC5OQ[/YOUTUBE]

I liked a couple of their songs (except the singing) so I saw them and was actually disgusted by how the singer looked and talked and sung live. He said to the previous band before starting in computer-nerd guy voice, "PLAY WELL, FRIENDS"....
    I dunno. The lead singer doesn't sound that much different, stylistically, from a David Byrne let's say. Talking Heads had a very positive impact on the music scene when I was growing up. It's not all bad.

[YOUTUBE]I1wg1DNHbNU[/YOUTUBE]

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Hipsters/emos drive me nuts. My hometown is full of them.

I don't get this over the top vintage thing, the 80s was the worst in fashion and music.

[YOUTUBE]lVmmYMwFj1I[/YOUTUBE]

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Thread tl;dr.

These "things" will grow up eventually and become poor and disillusioned like the rest of us.

Nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you restrict their "rights" to free speech to insure a new breed of dickheads don't spring up.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    Hipsters/emos drive me nuts. My hometown is full of them.

I don't get this over the top vintage thing, the 80s was the worst in fashion and music.
    [YOUTUBE]lVmmYMwFj1I[/YOUTUBE]
    Worst in music? Nuh-uh!

Last Online
    11-16-2014 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Sex Panther
    Taxonomy
    Nordid/DaloFaelid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    The 80s were awesome! The late 60s, 70s, and 90s were the worst.
    þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German/Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    European white
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

What is the difference between hipsters/goths/scene-kids/emos/skaters? Aren't they all basically people who need to be beat with a stick and dragged into a bar and shown how to recreate the species properly?

Was at a bar last night with friend. Was engaged in a drunken conversation with this business guy who was evidently trying to do the whole "yes I have money look at my 1k watch and designer clothing" among all the drunken college kids (didn't work apparently). Yet we both saw this stiff, looked about 35-45, jeans, button down, TUCKED IN shirt holding a beer-with one hand, clearly not drinking it, standing around looking at everybody like a timid rabbit. It dawned on me just how fucked this world is that this guy is in a college bar, completely clueless as to how the social world works, yet here he is, among a bunch of idiotic immature 20 somethings holding his beer wondering why am I not home watching star trek reruns? It just intrigued me seeing this character so out of sorts yet from some societal tug still standing around hoping for some miracle, always hovering near the 3-5 blond girls in the bar thinking they'd talk to him or something as they are being chatted up by 50 guys.....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information