Ethnicity
    ?
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Why did the English, when they occupied India, call the people of India negroes? I have seen them referred to like that many times. I know they are very dark skinned, but negroes?

Last Online
    04-25-2009 @ 03:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    ?
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default soda bottle lids

Quote Originally Posted by Rainraven View Post
    For those of you not getting the Family Guy reference of the title, I mean pet hates.
    What are the little things that really peeve you?
    A few of mine:

1. The peel off tops that they now have under the caps of plastic milk bottles. They never used to be there and we all survived fine, why have them now? All they manage to do is flick milk in my face every time I peel them off.

Right, come on everyone, what grinds your gears?
    Soda bottle lids, unscrewable

What makes me mad are the screw on tops on plastic soda bottles. I can not get them unscrewed without a kitchen tool. My husband who is a normal strong man, can't hardly get them off either. He unscrews them for me before we put them in the refrigerator.

Antipodean Loyalist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-19-2009 @ 07:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    Scottish, English, Irish and Spanish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Taxonomy
    Alpinised Bruenn + Med
    Politics
    Rule from above
    Religion
    Heathenry & Ascension
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    Why did the English, when they occupied India, call the people of India negroes? I have seen them referred to like that many times. I know they are very dark skinned, but negroes?
    The term negro refers to skin colour alone, hence why the term was used.
    "With gratitude for the past and confidence in the future we range ourselves without fear beside Britain. Where she goes, we go; where she stands, we stand. We are only a small and young nation, but we march with a union of hearts and souls to a common destiny."

- Michael Joseph Savage

"All we are and all we have is at the disposal of the British Government."

- William Massey to the British Government, 1914

Last Online
    04-25-2009 @ 03:02 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    ?
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Oversized boxes:
    I don't know whether they are doing this in other countries or not. Here in America, where postage is high, they put tiny little items I order in huge boxes. I will see a huge box sitting on my porch, delivered by UPS, and find out it is only a book. They do this all the time, and they really put a lot of filler in it. I order quite often since I live in a rural area, and it has gotten to be a joke with me and my husband, about what little thing is going to be contained in that huge box. I thought we were trying to recycle, and so forth.
    So what are they thinking about?

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Birka View Post
    How Jackson ruined Lord Of The Rings with his un-Tolkein additions such as the whole Faramir story, the Arwen addition that never was in the book, how his wargs looked like hyenas, and making Gimli a comic character.
    GRRRRRR...................

How could I have forgotten the travesty of The Lord Of The Rings! All of the above I agree with. I can even expand!

The list of Miscast Idiots:
    Liv Tyler as Arwen. Puh-lease!!
    Orlando Bloom as Legolas. Give me a bloody break!!
    Most of the Elves, with the exception of Galadriel, and Elrond.

Storylines that were added for ridiculous Hollywood reasons:
    *Arwen's fate being tied to the Ring. Whatever
    *Aragorn not already having the shards of Narsil with him, and the sword being reforged before he even left. Spare me.
    *Aragorn being a relutanct hero. He knew what had to be done. This isn't the twenty first century where the name of the game is "dilly-dally". For shame.
    *Aragorn being thrown over the edge of the cliff in the flight to Helm's Deep, to accentuate the Eowyn love triangle. Totally unnecessary.
    *Elrond coming to Aragorn with Narsil reforged just before the passage through the Paths of the Dead. Retarded Hollywood plot fix!
    *The stupid first ten minutes of The Return of the King being devoted to Gollum's story of him first getting the Ring. Unneccessary! That was ten minutes or more that they could have used to put in some of the pertinent parts of the story.
    *Treebeard not knowing about what Saruman was doing to the forest, and the result of the Entmoot being that they were going to sit out the war. Crap! Treebeard had known for a long time, and was angry, and the whole purpose of the Moot was so that Treebeard could convince the rest of the tree shepherds to do something about it.
    *Merry and Pippin having to trick Treebeard to challenge Saruman. It was probably to bolster their parts, but if Jacko had followed the original storyline, he wouldn't have felt the need to bolster their diminished roles.
    *Frodo and Sam being taken to Gondor. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!! The whole point of Faramir letting them go, was to demostrate that he was a much better man then Boromir, and was able to see the deeper picture.

Things that Jacko left out that were Awesome!
    *The Dunedain! Aragorn had kin up in the Northern Wastes. They accompanied Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas through the Paths of the Dead. They were very important.
    *The whole Tom Bombadil sequence, but I understand leaving that out.
    *The Scouring of the Shire!!!! ARE YOU A FUCKING MORON OR WHAT!!!!!! What, did Saruman just cower away like a whipped dog? No! He took over the Shire! He raped it, and paved it over. Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin had to kick some ass when they got home, and they did it all themselves. That was very important.
    *Grima Wormtongue killing Saruman after they were beaten. Come on man!

Things that Jacko did badly:
    *The whole Shelob incident. Instead of having it at the end of the second movie, like it should have been, it's at the beginning of the third. What, is the beginning of the third movie just too boring or something? The way Tolkien wrote it, you were left with a cliffhanger with Frodo being taken into the Orc fortress, and Sam doesn't know how he's going to rescue him. Suspense man! Come on!
    *Most of the scenes with Arwen. Come on, there are much more beautiful brunettes in Hollywood then Liv Tyler!
    *Overdoing the Arwen scenes, and basically overshadowing Eowyn's role. Eowyn does one of the most important things in the whole War of the Ring, by killing the Lord Nazgul. That was big! And she almost died from the encounter! That was terrible of Jacko to do that.

I haven't watched the movies in a while, precisely because for the reasons I've listed above. As you can tell, I'm overly touchy on the subject. My apologies to anyone who loves the movies. I'm a purist when it comes to film adaptations of books I love.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jägerzen View Post
    I absolutely hate people that roll their eyes and can't keep their thoughts off their faces (especially when social etiquette demands 'keep it to yourself')
    Just like this?

Gone fishing with Lutiferre SuuT's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-07-2010 @ 07:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian Beachbilly
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordicised Faelid
    Politics
    MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn: Warrior Caste--> Goði Path
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    One thing that has recently been "grinding my gears" is when white military people who are stationed in Hawaii adopt Hawaiian speech patterns. Every once in a while I'll bump into someone I knew in basic training or AIT (someone who I know is not from Hawaii) who will greet me by saying "How's it, brah," (trans. how are you today). They'll toss in words like aloha (hello), mahalo (thank you), keiki (child-ren), and ohana (family). I just want to grab them by the shoulders, shake them and yell "YOU'RE NOT HAWAIIAN, YOU RETARD! STOP SPEAKING PIDGIN!"

I didn't really understand what you meant until, last evening, I was forced to sit through an episode of "DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER" (don't ask...) on the A&E channel. Although I've been to the big island and Oahu on vacation, I never bothered to listen to anything but the ocean and "here's your drink, sir", so I suppose I've never noticed it.

But yeah, this kind of assimilated enunciation/pronunciation/word borrowing from drastically different kultures and languages in general has something just really irritating about it. Across the board.
    Last edited by SuuT; 04-14-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Often, in our attempts to show people that they do not know what they believe they do, it is exposed that they lack any identity whatsoever - beyond the belief that they know anything at all.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

The fact that lowbrow trashy programming like "Dog the Bounty Hunter" is aired on channels like A&E or Bravo. They belong on E!, MTV or Spike. With the literally hundreds of satellite/cable channels that profess to specialized to a particular group &/or niche, certain types of programming shouldn't overlap on the same channel. I also hate so called reality shows. And Ryan Seacrest.
    Last edited by Æmeric; 04-14-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-21-2012 @ 08:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Baltic
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian-Polish
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frigga'sSpindle View Post
    I'm a purist when it comes to film adaptations of books I love.

I do agree with all of your criticisms of the Lord of the Rings. But what movies do you think did stay pure to the book or story?

One movie that I think did not stickily follow the novel, but seemed to get the feeling of the theme in my opinion is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1962) novel by Key Kesey and 1975 film with Jack Nicholson.

I can't think of too many others, might be a good thread idea.
    Last edited by Birka; 04-14-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: correct date
    ROPE and CHAINS

and

AMBALAMPS

Page 3 of 256 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information