PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Why are less intelligent people more racist on average? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Why are less intelligent people more racist on average?

Veteran Judicator Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Basque Country
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,303
    Given: 8,227

1 Not allowed!

I would say they are more reserved in general and avoid tension at all costs. Even in here already, there's a standard that academia has pretty much your typical SJW agenda. Being a 'racist' towards some groups is treatead as a taboo (and that's not at all limited to academia, it's just more prevalent in there). Yet all of us know very well which groups are disliked for their behavior or thought of as incompetent of doing anything on their own. I am openly racist, yes, and people are often shocked by that. Let them be.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,997
    Given: 12,783

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    Scoring high on 'open to experience' (the Big 5 personality test) typically means higher intelligence. Racists don't score high on 'open to experience.'

Look at people in your life (and even the posters on this forum). Are the racists you've known usually highly intelligent? From my experience, they tend to be dumb. I can count on one hand the number of racists I've known who had an interest in philosophy (one of them was our beloved JamesBond007...)
    One personality trait is linked to higher intelligence above all others. Being open to experience is the personality trait most strongly linked to high IQ. People who are open to experience show a special interest in things that are unconventional, new and complex.

The conclusions come from a study of 17,415 people in the UK who were given personality and IQ tests and followed up over four decades.

The study’s authors explain their results:

“…childhood intelligence is indeed positively associated with adult trait Openness, even when it was assessed almost four decades earlier when participants were at 11 years.

Intelligence may influence the development of personality in that intelligent people develop habits to satisfy their curiosity and ‘‘cognitive hunger’’ which are an essential ingredient of Openness.”
    https://www.spring.org.uk/2022/04/so...0and%20complex.

Last Online
    03-12-2024 @ 01:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Taxonomy
    Nordid + D/CM infl.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 27

3 Not allowed!

Conservatives are less intelligent, and racists are more likely to be conservative. However, if you control for conservatism, racism has no effect on intelligence (c'). Conservatism means things like traditional sex roles or belief in authority. Racism here means things like not wanting coloured neighbours.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...56797611421206

Social conservatism. In both the NCDS and the BCS, socially conservative ideology was assessed in terms of respect for and submission to authority (7 items in the NCDS and 10 items in the BCS; e.g., “Give law breakers stiffer sentences” and
    “Schools should teach children to obey authority”) and support for conventional (i.e., unequal) sex roles (6 items in both studies; e.g., “Family life suffers if mum is working fulltime”); scale reliabilities ranged from .63 to .68 (Deary et al., 2008; Schoon et al., 2010). These measures tap socially conservative values, including desire for law and order, punitive reactions toward wrongdoers, adherence to social conventions or traditions, and social control. Without reference to racial out-groups, these items reflect ideological orientations rooted in resistance to change and a desire to maintain existing social stratifications, making them ideal for our purposes.

Racism. Attitudes toward racial out-groups were assessed in the NCDS and the BCS with the same five items (e.g., “I wouldn’t mind working with people from other races” and “I wouldn’t mind if a family of a different race moved next door”; αs = .82; Deary et al., 2008; Schoon et al., 2010). Items were reverse-scored; higher scores indicate a generalized antipathy toward racial out-groups, rather than antipathy toward a specific racial group.

Results from both the NCDS and the BCS supported each component of the hypothesized mediation model (see Table 1). For both men and women, the NCDS data demonstrated significant negative paths from the latent g factor in childhood to the latent conservative-ideology factor in adulthood (Path a) and significant positive paths from the latent conservative-ideology factor to generalized racism in adulthood (Path b). As predicted, without the hypothesized mediator in the model, the direct effect of the latent g factor in childhood on adult racism (Path c) was negative and significant, but this effect was attenuated in magnitude and reduced to nonsignificance (Path c′) when the latent conservativeideology factor was included. Of the total predictive effect of childhood cognitive ability on adult racism, between 92% and 100% was indirect, mediated via conservative ideology (see Table 2)
    The reason is that probably racism stems from two different traits, RWA and SDO. Those are of course biased monikers, but they do capture something. RWA is basically authoritarianism or conventionality, SDO is basically the belief that everyone is in constant competition. RWA is correlated with lower IQ and lower Big-5 Openness, whereas SDO is not correlated with IQ or Openness, and is instead related to Big-5 Agreeableness.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...an_personality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...ce_orientation

Overall, I think it's just a consequence of brainwashing in educational institutions. I suspect that the relationship would be reversed in a racist yet religious society like late 19th century Britain, where the elites would be Darwinist whilst the regular people would be sticking to some religious ideas about human equality. It is simply not permissible to be racist in high society in countries like the US or France. This is a very pronounced phenomenon, so it is largely impossible to measure racism among the more educated with much precision.

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/...e-afraid-share

In short, racists are not dumb, but conservatives are a bit dumb. But it's hard to say for sure because educated people are afraid to say they are conservative, let alone racist.
    Last edited by Humanophage; 01-22-2023 at 11:50 PM.
    Single Population Sharing (Eurogenes)
    1 Estonian_Polish 4.36
    2 Russian_Smolensk 4.88
    3 Southwest_Russian 5.32
    4 Belorussian 5.78
    5 Lithuanian 5.92

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Humanophage View Post
    Conservatives are less intelligent, and racists are more likely to be conservative. However, if you control for conservatism, racism has no effect on intelligence (c'). Conservatism means things like traditional sex roles or belief in authority. Racism here means things like not wanting coloured neighbours.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/unCIyAP.png[

The reason is that probably racism stems from two different traits, RWA and SDO. Those are of course biased monikers, but they do capture something. RWA is basically authoritarianism or conventionality, SDO is basically the belief that everyone is in constant competition. RWA is correlated with lower IQ and lower Big-5 Openness, whereas SDO is not correlated with IQ or Openness, and is instead related to Big-5 Agreeableness.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...an_personality
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...ce_orientation

Overall, I think it's just a consequence of brainwashing in educational institutions. I suspect that the relationship would be reversed in a racist yet religious society like late 19th century Britain, where the elites would be Darwinist whilst the regular people would be sticking to some religious ideas about human equality. It is simply not permissible to be racist in high society in countries like the US or France. This is a very pronounced phenomenon, so it is largely impossible to measure racism among the more educated with much precision.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jTA2RbT.p

In short, racists are not dumb, but conservatives are a bit dumb. But it's hard to say for sure because educated people are afraid to say they are conservative, let alone racist.
    Libertarians score strongly on SDO.

Sensitivity toward disgust and racial prejudice goes hand in hand and is a trait of conservatives but not Libertarians.

Three Dimensions of American Conservative Political Orientation Differentially Predict Negativity Bias and Satisfaction with Life
    https://osf.io/xeqmr/

Neural basis of disgust perception in racial prejudice

Worldwide racial prejudice is originated from in‐group/out‐group discrimination. This prejudice can bias face perception at the very beginning of social interaction. However, little is known about the neurocognitive mechanism underlying the influence of racial prejudice on facial emotion perception. Here, we examined the neural basis of disgust perception in racial prejudice using a passive viewing task and functional magnetic resonance imaging. We found that compared with the disgusted faces of in‐groups, the disgusted faces of out‐groups result in increased amygdala and insular engagement, positive coupling of the insula with amygdala‐based emotional system, and negative coupling of the insula with anterior cingulate cortex (ACC)‐based regulatory system. Furthermore, machine‐learning algorithms revealed that the level of implicit racial prejudice could be predicted by functional couplings of the insula with both the amygdala and the ACC, which suggests that the insula is largely involved in racially biased disgust perception through two distinct neural circuits. In addition, individual difference in disgust sensitivity was found to be predictive of implicit racial prejudice. Taken together, our results suggest a crucial role of insula‐centered circuits for disgust perception in racial prejudice. Hum Brain Mapp 36:5275–5286, 2015.

High SDO doesn't automatically mean racial prejudice, which is the assumption being made. It could be class in-group versus out-group. It could be my family/friends in group versus everyone else. It could mean my particular region of the country versus other regions. It could mean my religion versus that of others. If you think it's wrong to push for group equality because you believe in merit that doesn't mean you're racist, for example.

What would indicate an inclination toward racial/ethnic bias is disgust sensitivity.

As you can see, Libertarians score high on SDO but low on sensitivity to disgust. Libertarians score higher IQs than liberals and conservatives on average (refer to my posts in the thread). As SDO goes, Libertarians are motivated primarily by economics.

So it's odd to argue that racists aren't dumb if the right-wingers who score low on disgust sensitivity are the ones scoring the highest IQ on average.

I also don't understand why you'd bring people hiding their politics. That would be in their daily life. When they take the IQ and personality tests they're anonymous. There are no social repercussions to being honest on an anonymous personality test.
    Last edited by Colonel Frank Grimes; 04-18-2023 at 02:14 AM.

White-Brazilian Pride Worldwide bvnny's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 11:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese (Celtic), Italian, African, Native-American...
    Ethnicity
    BR
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L151
    mtDNA
    L3e3b
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-med + Mutt
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 100

0 Not allowed!

Most racists are close-minded to new ideas that might defy their racist views.

The racists I've talked to before were, for the most part, unable to understand concepts like "structural racism" and "microaggressions"... they would deny all of that from the start out of being "leftism".
    Me after My Heritage estimated me to be 1/8 anglo:

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Antarctica
    Hero
    Turin Turambar, Húrin Thalion and Aulë
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,931
    Given: 20,239

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
    Less inteligent people tend to get low pay job, who make them live in place with a lot of "diversity". After you witness some behaviors in a daily basis, you tends to be more racist.

Smart people can live in a bubble and be deconnect to some reality. The only non white person they meet is their cleaning lady and the uber eat delivery guy.
    Basically this in a nutshell. The lower social classes of one's society are relegated/ forced to be cohabitants of the dregs of society/first generation immigrants that have to take up either menial jobs or jobs that people don't want to do. Hence, it is during these inevitable interactions that racial and classist subconscious biases are formed and take tangible form. Whereas those higher in the social class are protected and far removed from the chaos that ensues around them. Living within their heavily protected gated communities/ counties that allows them to wallow in this first world trivialities and other first world comforts.
    Last edited by de Burgh II; 04-18-2023 at 02:17 AM.
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

- H.P. Lovecraft

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

When it comes to Americans, I can only always tell when someone's life experience is on the internet when they start bringing up gated communities or believe poor Whites live with poor non-Whites in any serious numbers. It's very rare for poor Whites to be living among poor Blacks or Latinos. You have to fuck up so badly in life to be in that situation. The only place most poor Whites interact with poor non-Whites regularly is in jail and prison. I won't even comment on the gated community nonsense, which is a repeated exaggeration about rich Whites. You don't have to be rich to live in a gated community.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Nordid - Baltid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 1,364

1 Not allowed!

Last Online
    09-19-2023 @ 07:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic American
    Ethnicity
    Caribeño
    Ancestry
    Santo Cerro, Pueblo Viejo, Ciudad de la Vega, Coamo, zona Colonia, Distrito Nacional, chacuey Medio
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    J-Z627 (Tartessos/ East medditernean)
    mtDNA
    C1b2
    Hero
    gregorio luperon, Maximo Gomez Baez, Rodrigo Duterte, Jose Guzman Baron de Atalaya
    Religion
    Catholic Christian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    When it comes to Americans, I can only always tell when someone's life experience is on the internet when they start bringing up gated communities or believe poor Whites live with poor non-Whites in any serious numbers. It's very rare for poor Whites to be living among poor Blacks or Latinos. You have to fuck up so badly in life to be in that situation. The only place most poor Whites interact with poor non-Whites regularly is in jail and prison. I won't even comment on the gated community nonsense, which is a repeated exaggeration about rich Whites. You don't have to be rich to live in a gated community.
    I had few white friends, but most of my friends in life were other hispanics.

But my neighborhood growing up just tended to be that way, so my friends were other hispanics. And my schools barely had white people. In my high school, there were so few white people, but for some years, I did use to spend my lunch with a few and some hispanic. One was irish, one 2 were italian. One was an anglo Goth girl brunette. One was half cuban half german. One was dominican. In all my other elementary school years, they were basically all dominican because all the people in my area were basically dominican, and the people in general were. My high school wasn't in my area, so it was the first time I had friends that weren't hispanic or dominican. But it was pretty much mostly hispanic with black coming in second. It was also the first time i had been to school where there were some black non hispanics. Previous to that, I've only encountered a handful of non hispanic blacks. 2 weren't ghetto at all. One of em was a girl named regina. She was actually very sweet and quiet. One of was a kid named phillip, but he was slow, and other kids always used to take advantage of him. And one of em was a kid named oliver. He wasn't a regular friend, but he was a kid i remember playing basketball sometimes with. He was a nice kid. And he dressed fit and semi conservatively. He wasn't hood. It was a lot of the hispanics, ironically, really. But that was at my junior high school and earlier schools.
    I interacted with whites, but overall, in life, it was at work or work related.

I never really had black friends come to think about it. But had few aquantances that were. Never had personal vendettas, though, with anyone that was black, neither.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,491
    Given: 5,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saiwalo View Post

It works indeed like "Antartica is a desert". Certainly people who think Antartica isn't a desert are more numerous and have a relatively higher average IQ, even if they are wrong.

If i ve learned anything on TA, was coming to the realization the best predicator for intelligence might be the ability to grasp on the basic concepts of statistical average. Good science is about laying out the most trivial hypothesis and the most refined demonstrations, the apparently dumbest hypothesis often turning up in history to have been the valid explanations all along.
    Last edited by Petalpusher; 04-18-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information