Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this forum so reductive about European ancestry in the US?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,477
    Given: 13,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    But it's foreigners like yourself from Continental Europe or Latin America that refer to Americans blanketly as Anglo-Saxon or Anglo. I cringe whenever I see it.
    It's mostly used for cultural purposes. It's even on Wikipedia for Christ's sake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

0 Not allowed!

But it's foreigners like yourself from Continental Europe or Latin America that refer to Americans blanketly as Anglo-Saxon or Anglo. I cringe whenever I see it.
    Yeah, but that's because the Brits have pulled the Americans out of their isolationism in 1917 and into an Anglo service. So this is a political-cultural assessment. And such a five-eyes-like political conglomerate remains till this very day regardless of who is today the servant of whom (that might well have changed in favour for the US). Btw. no wonder that the search for MH 370 was directed entirely into a reliable five-eyes theater area, lol. And that based on data only from - surprise - another five-eyes country (UK). However, the Americans are politically totally merged into the Anglo sphere.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,033
    Given: 6,627

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Incal View Post
    It's mostly used for cultural purposes. It's even on Wikipedia for Christ's sake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo
    Amongst native English speakers, 'Anglo' (grammatically retarded on it's own) broadly refers to people of English, or at least British Isles descent. It's not just a cultural term.

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    Yeah, but that's because the Brits have pulled the Americans out of their isolationism in 1917 and into an Anglo service. So this is a political-cultural assessment. And such a five-eyes-like political conglomerate remains till this very day regardless of who is today the servant of whom (that might well have changed in favour for the US). Btw. no wonder that the search for MH 370 was directed entirely into a reliable five-eyes theater area, lol. And that based on data only from - surprise - another five-eyes country (UK). However, the Americans are politically totally merged into the Anglo sphere.
    So America became Anglo in 1917 Ironically that's around when the US started to become non-Anglocentric politically and culturally (the beginning of Hollywood and Jewish financial power).
    Last edited by Creoda; 03-31-2023 at 03:33 AM.
    Spoiler!

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,935
    Given: 7,459

3 Not allowed!

Even Americans don't correct you much if you use "Anglo" generally for Americans, but will correct you if you use "English". One is frequently used while the other rarely is even though they're the exact same word. I guess this is cause "Anglo" has become shorthand for "Anglosphere" while "English" remains tied to England.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,529
    Given: 6,482

2 Not allowed!

Where did the OP go? I guess that Creoda's post spooked him (maps and statistics can terrify individuals with agendas and vendettas). I just wing it when I reply to people on blatant crusades. It's common knowledge that the South is Anglo-Celtic with variations in degrees of both, as well as some extra ethnic spice added to the mix in some regions.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    U5a1
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    None
    Relationship Status
    Broken man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,156
    Given: 2,162

1 Not allowed!

Its kinda similar to how Americans call all sorts of mixed people from Latin America: Hispanic (even those without Spaniard ancestry). To a Spaniard that might be cringe.

From my expierence its Russian politics and news which calls America/The West "Anglo-saxon" improperly.

But Anglo can sometimes just mean language to outsiders.

I understand your point though.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    Its kinda similar to how Americans call all sorts of mixed people from Latin America: Hispanic (even those without Spaniard ancestry). To a Spaniard that might be cringe.

From my expierence its Russian politics and news which calls America/The West "Anglo-saxon" improperly.

But Anglo can sometimes just mean language to outsiders.

I understand your point though.
    I don't think so, Hispanic and Anglo are similar terms Anglopheres for the English speaking world, language, culture, ancestry etc. Same applies to the term Hispanic.

Ironically In the "Hispanic world" I've seen Spaniards trolling mexicans on the Reddit Mexico cultural sub-groups/community that we are Hispanic too.

Of course theres should be measurements, to me calling a Bolivian Hispanic would be the equivalent of calling an Afram Anglo so..

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,477
    Given: 13,190

0 Not allowed!

Seems most people here are still stuck in the 80's... Today we are living in a multipolar world. Comments like: "It's not chips! It's called crisps because in my town from Devonshire we say crisps!" belong to the past really.

Last Online
    10-20-2023 @ 04:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic for the most part
    Ethnicity
    American Northern Euro Mongrel
    Ancestry
    DK, IE, NO
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordo-Faelid...apparently
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 1,539

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    According to this map the tip of the northeast has many people of French descent.
    It's actually right, in that sense: French ancestry, sure, but not exclusively in most cases. What other admixtures do you reckon they have? Word to the wise, when Americans say they have X ancestry, it's 9 times out of ten, not that claimed one alone. That goes for anything British isles related too.
    Made me cringe hardcore at one point. I haven't a drop of English or even lowland Scottish ancestry to merit that label, but I'm numb to it now. We're the mean bouncer of the Anglosphere club, without being a commonwealth country and hence, its face to the wider non-English speaking world. It's beyond retarded, but I can't be bothered to go out of my way to correct it, when I know people saying the same stupid shit outside the forum. It is what it is.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,491
    Given: 5,740

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Native ancestry among white americans its a myth in the other hands less than 3% white americans have some traces of 1-5 SSA ancestry.

That's nothing. Amerindian ancestry isn't nigger ancestry all It takes a mexican 75% European genes to look fully euro, with SSA admixed individuals probably 85%+
    That rule is written somewhere? It's exactly what Colombia is on average based on genetic studies. The majority of the population is "white", as in not black or pred Amerindian but they don't look white in the European sense, they look way off. It's not even about a particular location in Europe, they just look off and mixed somehow, which they are (besides a few obvious tourists). Most of the "spectrally white" population have features that are completely alien to Europe. You might not see it because that's all you ve ever seen in your life, yet it's very obvious in all South America when you look at the real population.

I don't think the US will ever look like this, sure the proportion of groups living alonside each others will change but this is something else that would take hundreds of years, and need a complete dissolution of identity in the philosophical sense which im not sure old stock Americans are willing to accept that easily. There will be at least many holdouts.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information