Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the all-time most known (ethnic) Pole?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,886
    Given: 26,289

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    Or Tomenable or Piotraschke. Between these three can be a hard competition.
    Or Litvin.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,643
    Given: 5,916

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post
    Peterski.
    A Jew from Ukraine
    Do what you should.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

But it's really hard to imagine which Pole is the best known in far away countries now and to know which one it was in the past is even harder.
    Do what you should.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    So what is your opinion of it? Because if he's an ethnic Pole he's indisputably number 1.
    In modern German he's usually called Nikolaus Kopernikus, his original name was Niklas Koppernigk, Latinised Nicolaus Cop[p]ernicus, post mortem Polonised Mikołaj Kopernik. He hailed from German speaking burghers of Thorn (in Polish: Torún). His mother was Barbara née Watzenrode and his father was Niklas Koppernigk (senior). His father was juror in Thorn and he is mentioned multiple times in the juror books of Thorn. The most often spelling of his name there is "Koppernigk". The astronomer's maternal grandfather Lukas Watzenrode (senior) was also juror in Thorn and later chief juror.

Here's a family tree:

Niklas Koppernigk's (junior, i. e. the astronomer) correpondences are in Latin and German. Professionally he was a high ranked administrational employee in Royal Prussia in various functions over time.

All this information is from the German Wikipedia article with sources mentioned: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaus_Kopernikus

What is Royal Prussia? Royal Prussia was a state of it's own with a partly German and partly Polish (and Kashubian) population that had German as its administrational language and was ruled by Germans from its German part of the population. Royal Prussia emerged out of an internal Prussian conflict between the (German) Teutonic Order and the (German) city burgers throughout Prussia (Prussian Confederation). The Prussian Confederation held control of Western Prussia and for strenghening itself against the Teutonic Order it asked the Polish king for becoming the head of the state and this way Royal Prussia emerged and became in personal union with Poland in 1454. It was a state of its own with German as constitutional administrational language, own parliament, courts and with the right of an own army. This status ended when in 1569 the Polish king in the Union of Lublin with Lithuania ignored Royal Prussia's rights and incorporated it into the Polish state. Now, Niklas Koppernigk (junior) and his wider family held a number of important administrational positions in this Royal Prussia that Thorn was part of.

Afaik the here told facts regarding Copernicus and his family are undisputed.

To answer your question my take is that he is an ethnic German and I don't know how you could be more ethnic German. If people state that he's a Pole they will likely not mean that he was an ethnic Pole but that he was a citizen of a state that was legitimately ruled by the Polish king, hence a Pole. Also, retropectively many people label Royal Prussia as Poland because it later became Poland. Or they just have the "information" that Copernicus was born in Poland, lived in Poland and had the name Mikołaj Kopernik. Then they indeed may think that he was an ethnic Pole. There will also be a lot of today's commoners that think that "Charlemagne" was an ethnic French.
    Last edited by rothaer; 04-22-2023 at 09:51 AM.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,033
    Given: 6,627

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    In modern German he's usually called Nikolaus Kopernikus, his original name was Niklas Koppernigk, latinised Nicolaus Cop[p]ernicus, post mortem polonised Mikołaj Kopernik. He hailed from the German speaking burgers of Thorn (in Polish: Torún). His mother was Barabara née Watzenrode and his father was Niklas Koppernigk (senior). His father was juror in Thorn and he is mentioned multiple times in the juror books of Thorn. The most often spelling of his name there is "Koppernigk". The astronomer's maternal grandfather Lukas Watzenrode (senior) was also juror in Thorn and later chief juror.

Here's a family tree:

Niklas Koppernigk's (junior, i. e. the astronomer) correpondences are in Latin and German. Professionally he was a high rank administrational employee in Royal Prussia in various functions over time.

All this information is from the German Wikipedia article with sources mentioned: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaus_Kopernikus

What is Royal Prussia? Royal Prussia was a state of it's own with a partly German and partly Polish (and Kashubian) population that had German as its administrational language and was ruled by Germans from its German part of the population. Royal Prussia emerged out of an inner-Prussian conflict between the (German) Teutonic Order and the (German) city burgers throughout Prussia (Prussian Confederation). The Prussian Confederation held control of Western Prussia and for strenghening itself against the Teutonic Order this Western Prussia asked the Polish king for becoming the head of the state and this way Royal Prussia emerged and became in personal union with Poland in 1454. It was a state of its own with German as constitutional administrational language, German courts and with the right of an own army. This status ended when in 1569 the Polish king in the Union of Lublin with Lithuania ignored Royal Prussia's rights and incorporated it into the Polish state. Now, Niklas Koppernigk (junior) and his wider family held a number of important administrational positions in this Royal Prussia that Thorn was part of.

Afaik the here told facts regarding Copernicus and his family are undisputed.

To answer your question my take is that he is an ethnic German and I don't know how you could be more ethnic German. If people state that he's a Pole they will likely not mean that he was an ethnic Pole but that he was a citizen of a state that was legitimately ruled by the Polish king, hence a Pole. Also, retropectively many people label Royal Prussia as Poland because it later became Poland. Or they just have the "information" that Copernicus was born in Poland, lived in Poland and had the name Mikołaj Kopernik. Then they indeed may think that he was an ethnic Pole. There will also be a lot of today's commoners that think that "Charlemagne" was an ethnic French.
    OK, fair enough. I'd never really looked into it, just knew his nationality was disputed.
    Spoiler!

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,193
    Given: 58,968

1 Not allowed!

For me personally it is Pope John Paul II, because I do not know many other Poles and online Davidski
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Last Online
    02-23-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian North, Middle Volga, Swabia
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,459
    Given: 1,193

2 Not allowed!

In our country i guess are: Feliks Dzierzynski and Karol Wojtyla, then Robert Lewandowski and Konstanty Rokossowski. If Niklas Koppernigk is Polish, so Maria Sklodovskaya - Kyuri is Russian by this logic)))

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    OK, fair enough. I'd never really looked into it, just knew his nationality was disputed.
    Lol, I'm aware of the discrepancy of your brief expressionas and my aspie-like answers. Admittedly such a form of exhausting answer is my tendency anyhow, but actually I consciously decided for that extent after a simple answer would more trigger an unnecessary opposition. And with all this said I'm done with this topic and can well stand not to "have the last word".

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

As for RF, I'd say: Feliks Dzierzynski
    Do what you should.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Ears View Post
    In our country i guess are: Feliks Dzierzynski and Karol Wojtyla, then Robert Lewandowski
    I just know Feliks Dzierżyński from the GDR Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (figuratively) namend Wachregiment „Feliks Dzierzynski“. Funnily the quotation marks are part of the official name. A subtle distancing?

and Konstanty Rokossowski.
    Yes. He somewhat corresponds to the German Rennenkampf, a tsarist Eisenhower (figuratively).

If Niklas Koppernigk is Polish, so Maria Sklodovskaya - Kyuri is Russian by this logic)))
    This hits the nail on its head, as is said in German.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information