Page 251 of 280 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 2791

Thread: Ask rothaer anything

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,467
    Given: 6,819

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Varda View Post
    One parent of your maternal grandma was German-Serbian and other German-Croatian mix, right?

One my neighbour is 1/8 or 1/16 German (i am not sure). His German admixture is from his Croatian side. His mother was Croatian with German paternal line and surname (she was from Slavonia), and his father was a Serb (from Zadar area). I think his German ancestor was not Danube Swabian (peasant), but clerk which arrived to Slavonia somewhere from Austria and married local Croatian woman. Mother of my neighbour was from NW part of Slavonia not far away from Zagorje. Danube Swabians lived in more eastern parts of Slavonia.
    Just want to say that I consider the term Danube Swabians for the Germans in Hungary retarded. To me as a German there are Swabians existent and they are a German tribe. Now, only kind of 1-2% of the Germans in Hungary are Swabians.
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    For logical reasons not only the "German side" can exiobit mongrels. It's also the side of those non-Germans that they mixed with.

In this sense Germans mostly "ghettoisised" in Eastern Europe. We get back Transsylvanian Saxons essentially unmixed after 800 years in Transsylvania. If you think of what that implies you get almost gose pimples. A healthy and conscious about identity behaviour includiing almost all compatriots - even the dumbest - for about 25 generations. Even as a davoted decades-long ancestry researcher, 25 generations is something that you hardly can grasp with your mind. In rare cases I get back 17 Generations.
    Transylvanian Saxons probably mixed with Szekelys despite both being suposedly closed rural communities. Stears father was pure Szekely and he has west Germanic I1 Z58 haplogroup that is common among NW Germans and Dutch and not Scandinavians or east Europeans who assimilated Goths and Gepids (Scandinavians are mostly I1-L22 and Goths/Gepids carried I1 Z63).

In Osijek area "Danube Swabians" mixed with Croats so much that their slang (called Esseker) couldn't be understood by people who spoke German only.

Thing is, most peasant kept to themselves until recent. But urban people did not, regardless of ethnicity.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Krajina Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric+NeoDanubian
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,739
    Given: 11,649

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Thing is, most peasant kept to themselves until recent. But urban people did not, regardless of ethnicity.
    Vast majority of population were peasants, until relatively recently.

Urban population in ex-Yugoslavia was only 19.8% of total population in census 1948.
    🔴
    🔵

Target: Dušan_scaled
    Distance: 1.7521% / 0.01752098
    60.4 Slavic: RUS_Sunghir_MA
    29.8 Roman: SRB_Svilos_Krusevlje
    9.8 Byzantine: TUR_Marmara_Ilipinar_Byz2

Last Online
    05-02-2024 @ 06:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Austria
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 767

1 Not allowed!

@ rothaer

Here is an interesting channel dealing with German(ic)-related topics. I want to share it here.

https://www.youtube.com/@GermaniaMagna
    https://www.youtube.com/@GermaniaPodcast/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/@GermaniaMagnaENG

Banned
    Last Online
    04-09-2024 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Alpha
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 31

2 Not allowed!

"... boasts the third lowest annual working hours, only behind Frankfurt and Berlin, with 1,346 hours worked each year (25.8 hours/week). "

@Rothaer, but Oda can answer too

How come such low numbers?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    NW German
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Tronder (G25)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 596

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    I think that strong German opposition against Russian enlargement during Merkel era could kill such "respect". Just like Uk-Russia relations today. Merkel's weak/soft Russian policy, basically "give me resources and do whatever you want in your backyard" is clearly major factor for earning or keeping this alleged "respect". A strong EU opposition for Russian military aggression, at least after Gerogia war, could prevent Russian plans for "conquring" Ukraine and 2014-2022 invasions but EU, primarily Germany, didnt want to do that, simply closed eyes and led Russia to think "bigger". Even after Georgia war, France was still selling amphibious assault ships to Russia, which would allow Russia to launch an amphibious assault on very likely Odessa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistra...ssian_purchase
    Probably true what you wrote, I‘m quite of the same opinion. And since I'm unsure if it had become clear: I don't think resp. know if most Russians (still) have such a view on Germany, and I also don't care, to be honest. I just wanted to cite the wise saying that everybody or -thing - be it a single person or a whole country - likes to think that the defeated enemy is a or was a powerful one, because that makes yourself bigger, which is the reason why many Russians still (like to) think it.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    NW German
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Tronder (G25)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 596

1 Not allowed!

I’m extremely anti the current FRG policy that is totally doing what the US wishes and is acting against German interests. It seems far more a puppet state today than in the 1990s and 2000s. This is only possible due to the severe deficiencies in character of the folks involved in the government. Scholz has given in time after time and this is a very unsuitable leadership. The chancellors Kohl and Schröder did not do it to such an extent.

I hope that the FRG will not be lured into war by its „friends“. But meanwhile I consider all possible with these idiots.
    Formulated a little bit more modest: ... acting against what YOU THINK would be of German interest.

Still have to answer 1-2 of your funny answers, but have no regular internet right now.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,338
    Given: 9,898

0 Not allowed!

Now, only kind of 1-2% of the Germans in Hungary are Swabians.
    What do you mean by that?

Last Online
    05-01-2024 @ 04:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    mtDNA
    T1a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,040
    Given: 3,148

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Transylvanian Saxons probably mixed with Szekelys despite both being suposedly closed rural communities.
    Probably religion played a role too (apart from rural/ urban aspect)
    I’ve read that in some initially Saxon village like Schelken/Zselyk/ Jeica, they accepted Lutheran Hungarians. Szeklers were at first Catholics like Saxons, so maybe this too led to some intermarriage (interestingly, on Wikipedia is written that of the 97 Szeklers sample 17% , had I1 Y-DNA)
    Also, a similar trend was in Banat, where Swabians accepted marriage, to an extent, with other Catholic populations such as Italians.

But yes generally, they had a closed off community. And Transylvanian Saxons, used to have a smaller number of children (usually no more than two) thus their community began to have a decline.

Later on, in the interwar time, there were currents of thinking which further discouraged intermarriage within Saxon community in Transylvania.
    Csallner believed this decline to be driven primarily by the low birth rate among the most “valuable” members of society (a judgment he based on socioeconomic and education factors). To Csallner’s mind, intermarriage with non-Saxons further contributed to this decline. His solution was to encourage biologically “valuable” individuals to have more children, and to consolidate Saxon holdings as a barrier to the further penetration of “Saxon” communities by Romanians and other non-Saxons.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybele View Post
    Probably religion played a role too (apart from rural/ urban aspect)
    I’ve read that in some initially Saxon village like Schelken/Zselyk/ Jeica, they accepted Lutheran Hungarians. Szeklers were at first Catholics like Saxons, so maybe this too led to some intermarriage (interestingly, on Wikipedia is written that of the 97 Szeklers sample 17% , had I1 Y-DNA)
    Also, a similar trend was in Banat, where Swabians accepted marriage, to an extent, with other Catholic populations such as Italians.

But yes generally, they had a closed off community. And Transylvanian Saxons, used to have a smaller number of children (usually no more than two) thus their community began to have a decline.

Later on, in the interwar time, there were currents of thinking which further discouraged intermarriage within Saxon community in Transylvania.
    I think this admixture, if it happened, is very old, from late medieval or so. If you look at family tree of random Szekler there will be only Hungarian names in last 5-6 generations. Probably same applies to Transylvanian Saxons. Before last 50 years, I mean.

Would be interesting to see more Romanian samples from region as well. Szeklers also have massive Romanian like admixture and no traces of recorded mixing with Romanians, which also implies this mixing happened very early...

When it comes to Saxons, ones that are full Saxon don't have any Hungrian or Romanian admixture. So perhaps, mixing went only towards Hungarian community and not both ways. I don't think Transylvanian Romanians have such admixture like Szeklers do, but I might be wrong.

Page 251 of 280 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261 ... LastLast

Thread Information