Quote Originally Posted by Ćđelfriţ View Post
What do Italians think about it?
Are you in favor of Ius Sanguinis?
If so, do you think it should have a generational limit?
Do you think a real Italian should have a minimum percentage of Italian ancestry?
Or do you think people with not a single drop of Italian blood who were born there are more Italian than people who have Italian blood but weren't born in Italy?
Or maybe you're against both and think Italians should only be those born in Italy by ethnic Italian parents?
Are you in favor of Dual Citizenship?
Birthright citizenship is open to abuse which is why Ireland had to stop it.

There is a difference between civic citizenship and being an Italian or any other ethnicity. It's fairly obvious and I don't see why people have issues with understanding the difference. You can have Italian citizenship but that doesn't mean you are Italian in the ethnic sense. I'm ethnically Irish but have Australian citizenship.

Or do you think people with not a single drop of Italian blood who were born there are more Italian than people who have Italian blood but weren't born in Italy?
It depends on if you think Italian is an ethnicity or that being Italian is just being born there. I think that being Italian is being of that heritage and is genetic. I don't think a person who is born in Italy but of Chinese parentage is Italian. There is nothing wrong with this either. I'm from an immigrant background and have no issues with understanding that my heritage is Irish but I'm Australian by citizenship. I also know that I'm not the same as someone who has spent all their life in Ireland as you are naturally influenced by the country you are raised in. Your parentage influences you also and I'm not the same as someone raised in Australia who has Indian parents. The world is changing and there are many people now born in countries that they have no ancestral ties to.

Yes I think dual citizenship is fine. No reason why you can't have citizenship from the country of your ancestors as well as the country you call home.