Japan
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Abti View Post
    Paying for an IQ test is effectively a low IQ move.
    That's what I said above. Still, if it serves a specific purpose for work or school, it is justifiable.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Swamps
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,085
    Given: 1,175

0 Not allowed!

For people commenting that paying $400 for an IQ is not a smart move. You have clearly never lived in the US. OP had medical reasons to get the test done. And in America, nothing is free.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-05-2024 @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 401
    Given: 632

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    WISC tests are very reliable and are used by government in my country to recruit students for special high schools that only accept 150+ IQ students. https://www-cumhuriyet-com-tr.transl..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Though brain is more than just calculation power but there are different kind of IQ and related tests anyways.
    Yes, that's only the reason why the old French guy invented the test in the first place - to classify students academic potential. And a not good measure in first place because you had some genuises that were below genius IQ levels, such as Feynman.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-23-2023 @ 08:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Replicant
    Ethnicity
    Replicant
    Country
    Japan
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vjatych View Post
    My American relatives (they are Ukrainians) told me that whites in America are friends only with each other. Ukrainians/Russians/Poles are especially friendly with each other, they understand each other well. The remaining whites are in second place. There is almost no friendship with colored people. It's true?
    Are Poles friendly with Russians? Seems BS. All the Poles I know hate Russians. White is really an ambigious term in the US. White has been traditionally used to refer to WASPs (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants), so no Irish,Italians, Jews, Russians, or Poles are white in this context. However, white is also used to refer to Caucasians. In this context, both eastern and western Europeans and MENA people are white.

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 02:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Unbestechlichkeit
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    To impress her it's too damn hard
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,269
    Given: 4,558

1 Not allowed!

My American relatives (they are Ukrainians) told me that whites in America are friends only with each other. Ukrainians/Russians/Poles are especially friendly with each other, they understand each other well. The remaining whites are in second place. There is almost no friendship with colored people. It's true?
    In Usa social connections are very weak (even compared to europe) and common origin (diaspora) is a good way to make friendship. Especially for Meditarrenean people. Because random white American isnt becoming your friend soon.

Latinos are different, you can easily become friends with them. But also for the exact same reason, some (maybe most, idk) whites avoid them because whites are too individualist and feel "not free" around them.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-23-2023 @ 08:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Replicant
    Ethnicity
    Replicant
    Country
    Japan
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vessna View Post
    OP had medical reasons to get the test done.
    What can kind of medical reasons?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Swamps
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,085
    Given: 1,175

0 Not allowed!

It depends on how well you are integrated. My husband and I never lived in immigrant communities for various reasons, but mostly because we had to relocate quite a bit for school/jobs. There is also a difference in perception of friendship depending on upbringings and level of introversion/extraversion. Our primary circle consists of a mix of white Americans and immigrants mostly college educated with fluent English. Its difficult to develop friendship if you spend 99% in a Russian neighborhood and barely speak the language.

Also, about remaining whites being in the second place. You are judged by your abilities to perform and your character. I worked for two different American healthcare companies in the past 5 years, both had Russians in the high-level management positions.
    Last edited by Vessna; 10-19-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 02:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Moderate member of the Uralic Cluster
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Ancestry
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kınık_(tribe)
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    Turano-Pontid and slight Carpathid
    Politics
    Unbestechlichkeit
    Religion
    Religions are mass-scale Stockholm syndromes
    Relationship Status
    To impress her it's too damn hard
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,269
    Given: 4,558

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by true_southron View Post
    Yes, that's only the reason why the old French guy invented the test in the first place - to classify students academic potential. And a not good measure in first place because you had some genuises that were below genius IQ levels, such as Feynman.
    I mean, modern Psychology has reliable methods to test cognitive abilities. Even you can prepare a test to measure whatever brain function.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EHG + E̶E̶F̶
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,095
    Given: 1,038

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Automata View Post
    Are Poles friendly with Russians? Seems BS. All the Poles I know hate Russians. White is really an ambigious term in the US. White has been traditionally used to refer to WASPs (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants), so no Irish,Italians, Jews, Russians, or Poles are white in this context. However, white is also used to refer to Caucasians. In this context, both eastern and western Europeans and MENA people are white.
    Politics is nonsense. If people live outside of this policy, then they are guided by the factor - with whom they are comfortable communicating, who is closer mentally and who is similar in appearance. Even here on the forum, I feel that the closest people to the Russians are Slavs: southern Slavs and even Poles. If we, people of different races, find ourselves on a desert island and we all speak the same language fluently, then the whites will quickly find a common language with each other. Colored people will live separately. I'm pretty sure of it. Except for mestizos and mulattoes. Inkal can be in the ranks of Europeans and cook porridge for us every morning, wash our laundry together with Mortimer

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,564
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Automata View Post
    Those populations were not WASP of course but they were always considered white by law.

Here are some objective tests as to whether a group was historically considered “white” in the United States: Were members of the group allowed to go to “whites-only” schools in the South, or otherwise partake of the advantages that accrued to whites under Jim Crow? Were they ever segregated in schools by law, anywhere in the United States, such that “whites” went to one school, and the group in question was relegated to another? When laws banned interracial marriage in many states (not just in the South), if a white Anglo-Saxon wanted to marry a member of the group, would that have been against the law? Some labor unions restricted their membership to whites. Did such unions exclude members of the group in question? Were members of the group ever entirely excluded from being able to immigrate to the United States, or face special bans or restrictions in becoming citizens?

If you use such objective tests, you find that Irish, Jews, Italians and other white ethnics were indeed considered white by law and by custom (as in the case of labor unions). Indeed, some lighter-skinned African Americans of mixed heritage “passed” as white by claiming they were of Arab descent and that explained their relative swarthiness, showing that Arab Americans, another group whose “whiteness” has been questioned, were considered white. By contrast, persons of African, Asian, Mexican and Native American descent faced various degrees of exclusion from public schools and labor unions, bans on marriage and direct restrictions on immigration and citizenship.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ews-and-so-on/

You can even check out census details in the 1800s. I'm Irish and have relatives that went to the US in the 1860-1870s. They were listed as "W" on the census and married into Anglo groups when they went to Rhode Island.

So while they weren't WASPs they were still "white". If they weren't considered "white" they would have had the restrictions placed on them that SSAs had or Mexicans or Asians for example. So how were they not considered "white"? You could be considered white and yet be discriminated against.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information