PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Do Dutch People Feel Close to Germans or English? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do Dutch People Feel Close to Germans or English?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

1 16.67%
  • Germans

5 83.33%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do Dutch People Feel Close to Germans or English?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    NW German
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Tronder (G25)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 737
    Given: 592

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ecptr View Post
    A German from Westphalia once told me that Westphalians are like a mix of the Dutch and Swedes and it's true in your case.

Thank you very much! This makes sense since my home region South Lower Saxony is a part of Eastfalia. Unfortunately both, the name and also the Low German language there (Eastfalian, Ostfälisch) are almost gone, but I‘m still able to understand it completely and speak it, let‘s say at 80%.
    Last edited by #Oda#; 12-12-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland and Wales.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,662
    Given: 2,021

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    That's a good point. People don't realize the differences between the Eastern English and the Western English. Most of my English forebears come from the latter region, and I think that's one reason why we match the Irish more than the Eastern English on 23andMe. Of course, my Irish, Western Scottish, and Welsh don't hurt.
    Difference between western Scottish and eastern Scottish as well.

I live in SW England and it is noticeable if I have to travel to east of the Danelaw or somewhere like Kent. Many lower classes in Somerset or Gloucestershire say are more Welsh like to an extent.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,529
    Given: 6,482

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Davystayn View Post
    Difference between western Scottish and eastern Scottish as well.

I live in SW England and it is noticeable if I have to travel to east of the Danelaw or somewhere like Kent. Many lower classes in Somerset or Gloucestershire say are more Welsh like to an extent.
    I noticed that. Southwest Scotland is the closest place that I have to a European homeland, and most people there are of Briton and/or Gaelic descent, even in the Lowlands. Still, the Scots-Irish are continuously called Germanic. Like a bad wart, that cliche won't go away.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British isles
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland and Wales.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Somerset
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,662
    Given: 2,021

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I noticed that. Southwest Scotland is the closest place that I have to a European homeland, and most people there are of Briton and/or Gaelic descent, even in the Lowlands. Still, the Scots-Irish are continuously called Germanic. Like a bad wart, that cliche won't go away.
    The Scots Irish were a mix of Scottish lowlanders and some Northern English. Far North West England i.e. Cumbria too is very Britonnic compared to east of the Pennines. Strathclyde was ruled by the Strathclyde Welsh.

I'd guess the Scots Irish were Britonnic/Gaelic with Germanic from the eastern lowlanders who all moved for the plantation, more so than the Irish Gaels, hence the difference, as is shown on the genetic maps. The cultural/political/religious divide over time became entrenched and enhanced it.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Davystayn View Post
    The Scots Irish were a mix of Scottish lowlanders and some Northern English. Far North West England i.e. Cumbria too is very Britonnic compared to east of the Pennines. Strathclyde was ruled by the Strathclyde Welsh.

I'd guess the Scots Irish were Britonnic/Gaelic with Germanic from the eastern lowlanders who all moved for the plantation, more so than the Irish Gaels, hence the difference, as is shown on the genetic maps. The cultural/political/religious divide over time became entrenched and enhanced it.
    That sounds about right. The Scots-Irish are as close to mutts as it gets there, as some of them have roots in Huguenot France and Palatine Germany too. They pretty much match the "Celts" on gene tests, though. Some of them even have roots in the Scottish Highlands, as all of those Belfast Campbells, Frasers, Grants, etc. could tell you.

Last Online
    02-02-2024 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Nederlander
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Right is right
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 106

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Blij te lezen dat een Rotterdammer er zo over denkt. Ik werk in Rotterdam als Vlaming en heb het er zeker naar mijn zin.
    Geweldig, maar krijg je als Vlaams persoon soms het gevoel dat je in Nederland of Rotterdam gediscrimineerd wordt?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotterdam View Post
    Geweldig, maar krijg je als Vlaams persoon soms het gevoel dat je in Nederland of Rotterdam gediscrimineerd wordt?
    De uitdaging zit er zeker in. Weinig Hollanders vinden België interessant of snappen ons land. Ik vind ook dat mensen snel een mening vormen over de rivieren. De dorpen rondom Rotterdam zijn ook erg ons-kent-ons met een dergelijke mentaliteit. Mensen die uit hun dorp tientallen vrienden hebben die ze van binnenstebuiten kennen. Ik snap nu ook beter waarom mensen erg oppassen met hun privacy.

Verder bewonder ik wel de ondernemendheid van de mensen en de vrije werksfeer. Blijkbaar snappen ze enkel in het Noorden dat Spotify een gezelligere sfeer brengt op de werkvloer dan iedere dag diezelfde radiozender. Mij zal je niets kwaads over Hollanders horen zeggen.

Als Vlaming moet je je wel eerst bewijzen alvorens ze je aanvaarden, maar dat gaat bij de één sneller dan bij de ander. Wel vind ik het kut dat het wereldje in dezelfde branche enorm klein is en dat ex-werkgevers wel degelijk dingen anders voorstellen als ze met wrok zitten. Wederom, dat privacy-gedoe in Nederland. Ik pas me sowieso een beetje aan daar.
    Verder wel gezellige bende daar. Rotterdam is de werkliedenstad en in dat opzicht nog echt volks Hollands. Collega's vertelden me dat zelfs Amsterdam cultureel dichter bij Antwerpen staat dan Rotterdam en dat de stad een erg uniek postmodern, maar authentiek karakter heeft.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 01-02-2024 at 10:55 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

2 Not allowed!

Dit kan mensen boos maken, maar ik vind Rotterdam calvinistischer dan zelfs de Biblebelt. Veel sneller van oordeel en harder. Nu ja, die twee bedrijven waar ik ervaring mee heb binnen dezelfde branche. Heb ook ooit een Rotterdamse gedate en die is helemaal als in het nummer 'All my exes live in Texas'. Zo wrokzuchtig dat het oorlog voor haar werd na het voorbij was. Nu was die wel ietwat christelijk en deed aan vrijwilligerswerk, die was nog wel wat gelovig en daar moest je erg voorzichtig mee zijn.
    Protestanten die niet meer naar de kerk gaan, echter en zogezegd niet-gelovig zijn, zijn wel degelijk nog protestants gebleven van ethiek. Ze beseffen het alleen niet zo meer. Heb zo iemand uit Altena gekend, niet-gelovig, maar wel slechte invloeden weren dat ze zelfs het nieuws niet meer leest en erg snel boos te maken is. Ze is een beetje onwetend, naief en kinderlijk, maar wel erg getalenteerd in wat ze goed doet. Leuke persoon, maar we hebben geen contact meer.

Altena is ook een speciale regio, een soort dorp van Asterix in Nederland waar ze argwanend staan tegenover buitenstaanders (pottekijkers worden er ook niet geduld en overal zie je gordijngluurders, maar verderop zijn ze weer wel behulpzaam en vriendelijk). Ik heb er wel respect voor. Erg nette huizen ook en harde werkers. Ik vind zelfs de sfeer daar vaak minder hard of oordelend dan in Rotterdam. En ik haat Rotterdam niet erom. Ik pas me er wat aan aan en vind het eerder fascinerend.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 01-02-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Last Online
    02-02-2024 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Nederlander
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Right is right
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 106

2 Not allowed!

@Dandelion Hmm interessant. Bedankt voor uw perspectief!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Watersater79 View Post
    I don't want you to sound weird, but I appreciate you at least mentioning the 'Brythonic' aspect to southern Scotland; a great swathe of the place-names (in fact the big players) in the lowlands are all of said origin; Glasgow, Lanark, Linlithgow and the first portion of Edinburgh's name. Before there was mass movement, I guess we could say that those in the SW of the lowlands were Briton/Gael, whilst those in the SE were Briton/Anglo-Saxon. Obviously there has been movement back and forth in the area (not to mention all of the migration to the Central Belt from Ireland and the Scottish Highlands as a result of the famine and clearances, respectively).
    Yep, you're right about all of that. I'm glad that you don't want me to sound weird too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information