Thread: DNA Test Uncover African Ancestry Surprising Connection to Thomas Jefferson

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

0 Not allowed!

Default DNA Test Uncover African Ancestry Surprising Connection to Thomas Jefferson

DNA Test Uncover African Ancestry Suprising Connection to Thomas Jefferson

by: Cece Moore

You never know what a DNA test might reveal!

A few months ago, spurred on by my interest in genetic genealogy, my sister Erin decided to order a DNA test from 23andMe for my brother-in-law John Huffer. Since John has never known his father, we didn’t really know what his results would show. His mother’s family has a strong oral tradition of Native American ancestry, so we expected some mixed ancestry. However, what we found was unexpected.

His Ancestry Painting, in the image below, revealed that he has five percent African ancestry. 23andMe’s Ancestry Painting examines the 22 pairs of chromosomes one segment at a time and determines for each stretch whether it was most likely inherited from ancestors in Africa, Europe or Asia and “paints” the segments based on that different ancestry.

I had never investigated John’s family tree before, but my curiosity was piqued. Fairly quickly it became obvious that his was no run-of-the-mill genealogy. John’s mother’s line traces straight back to Madison Hemings. That name may be familiar to you. Madison Hemings was the son of Sally Hemings, a mixed race slave of Thomas Jefferson, our third president and author of the Declaration of Independence. My genealogy research clearly showed that Thomas Jefferson and Sally are John’s fourth great-grandparents!*

John has always especially admired Thomas Jefferson above all other historical figures and felt a special affinity to Monticello when he first visited there ten years ago, although he had absolutely no idea of his familial connection. When I first relayed my findings to John and my sister, they were, understandably, shocked. Once they started browsing the Internet in search of more information, they came across a very familiar photo on one of the websites about Monticello. An original of this very photo had hung in John’s house growing up. Further investigation shows that his mother had at least a vague knowledge of her family’s relationship to Thomas Jefferson and/or Sally Hemings, but did not share it with her children.

Since John had never had any relationship with his father’s family and had very little contact with his mother’s side after a family dispute, he says it was as if they “had no history”. Erin relates, “It’s been fun for John to finally have a legacy of some sort, not to mention one as interesting as this,” and goes on to say that this discovery has finally given John and his siblings “a sense of who they are and where they came from.” John’s young nephew Joshua tells me that learning about his illustrious roots has inspired him to strive to make more of his life and given him the confidence that he can achieve anything he desires.

I am so happy for John, once a fatherless little boy, who can now take comfort and pleasure in the knowledge that he is directly descended from one of the founding fathers of our country! During his most recent visit to Monticello, he couldn’t help but wonder if his deep love of Paris is simply a coincidence or caused by the same unknown spark that made Thomas Jefferson fall in love with it so long ago. Or, if his interest in the art of brewing beer could have come from his forebearers, whom he learned on his visit were expert brewers at Monticello. It is wonderful for John and his family to finally have these types of questions about their ancestry to ponder; questions that most of us take for granted.

DNA testing has come full circle for genetic genealogy with John’s story. It is fitting that one of the very first public uses of DNA for genealogical purposes was the Y-DNA test in 1998 that originally addressed the controversy surrounding the paternity of Sally Hemings’ children. Today, more than a decade later, the simple decision to test with 23andMe is what led John to make this illuminating discovery about his roots.

There have been a number of interesting “coincidences” in regard to the Huffers and Monticello that make one ponder on genetic memory. When John and my sister first visited Monticello on an anniversary trip ten years ago, they loved it so much that they decided to go back the very next year with their daughter Courtney.

Although some Jefferson researchers had disputed the validity of the claims that Sally’s children were fathered by Thomas Jefferson, most of these doubts were put to rest after a 1998 Y-DNA test on Sally’s son Eston’s direct male line descendants proved that they carry the Y chromosome of Thomas Jefferson’s male line. Although Madison has no living direct line male descendants who could have their Y-Chromosome DNA tested to further support this claim, it is now widely accepted that Thomas Jefferson fathered all of Sally’s children.

This is supported by oral histories of Sally’s descendants and analysis of the couple’s relationship and time spent together. Annette Gordon-Reed provides a detailed look at this evidence in her exhaustive study and Pulitzer Prize winning book, “The Hemingses of Monticello”. The official Jefferson Monticello website also addresses this issue. John’s discovery has sparked my interest in this fascinating subject. As a result, I am spearheading an autosomal DNA project on the descendants of Sally Hemings. Although it is now generally recognized that Thomas Jefferson fathered all of Sally Hemings’ children, it has been impossible to determine with certainty. The introduction of autosomal DNA testing has changed this. Through autosomal DNA testing of specific individuals, I hope to be able to demonstrate that the descendants of Sally Hemings share blocks of DNA with Jefferson’s “legitimate” descendants.

If it is not possible to procure DNA from any of these known descendants, I will seek DNA from descendants of individuals one step further back in Thomas Jefferson’s pedigree in an attempt to show that Sally’s descendants possess DNA from Jefferson’s ancestral lines. Since autosomal DNA undergoes random recombination with each successive generation, it will be necessary to test the oldest living descendants of these lines. DNA is the perfect tool for this because it does not harbor any prejudice or predetermined notions. Anyone who fits these parameters should contact me at yourgeneticgenealogist@gmail.com.

ancestry painting of John

jpg image hosting

image hosting jpg

jpg image hosting
    http://spittoon.23andme.com/2012/03/...mas-jefferson/
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-27-2024 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,670
    Given: 9,047

0 Not allowed!

This proves once again, how mixed "White America" really is...
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Jefferson/Hemmings debunked.

Valkyrie Queen of Apricity CelticViking's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-20-2013 @ 09:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Blood Elf
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Irish
    Taxonomy
    Hallstatt Keltic Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244

0 Not allowed!

I had never investigated John’s family tree before, but my curiosity was piqued. Fairly quickly it became obvious that his was no run-of-the-mill genealogy. John’s mother’s line traces straight back to Madison Hemings. That name may be familiar to you. Madison Hemings was the son of Sally Hemings, a mixed race slave of Thomas Jefferson, our third president and author of the Declaration of Independence. My genealogy research clearly showed that Thomas Jefferson and Sally are John’s fourth great-grandparents!*
    You don't even need to have sex to make a baby.

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

He is not as handsome as his relative Thomas Jefferson. He looks sort of Atlanto-Med with alpine influence. He has a heavyish facial bone structure. Unfortunately I can't enlargen the pics!

Last Online
    12-06-2013 @ 11:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pale Face
    Ethnicity
    Pale Ass
    Ancestry
    The southern united states.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    White Booty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rashka View Post
    He is not as handsome as his relative Thomas Jefferson. He looks sort of Atlanto-Med with alpine influence. He has a heavyish facial bone structure. Unfortunately I can't enlargen the pics!
    He looks white to me.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-23-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

0 Not allowed!

Of course as we all know the broader purpose of the Jefferson/Hemmings claims is to defame one of America's Founders, attempt to make him out the hypocrite, and thus help lay the groundwork for the multiracial America our planners want for us. But there is more than a little doubt about the story, and far less doubt about the sensationalistic nature of liberal media reports:

http://www.rlc8.dcccd.edu/tlblog/?p=1741

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post
    This proves once again, how mixed "White America" really is...
    If you're ignorant enough to take it on face value. There's no real evidence whatsoever, at all. Research has been done that debunks this on all levels.

I lost the original link I posted on another thread of this kind, but here's a summary:

New book disputes claim Jefferson fathered children of slave Hemings

The Heritage Society fought back with its own commission, which issued its report in 2001 disputing the conclusions. The 400-page book being released Thursday is the commission’s final product, complete with footnotes and references to rebut the other side’s claims.

Among their evidence:

• Claims that the relationship between Hemings and Jefferson started in Paris are unlikely because she was living with his daughters at their boarding school across the city at the time.

The “Jefferson family” DNA used in the 1998 test came from descendants of his uncle, which the scholars said means any one of two dozen Jefferson men living in Virginia at the time Eston was conceived could have been the father.

• The 1802 rumors centered on Thomas Woodson, who was said to have been one of Hemings‘ children. But tests of three Woodson descendants failed to show a link to Jefferson family DNA. Also, no documentation supports claims he was Hemings‘ child.

• Oral tradition from Eston Hemings’ family initially said he was not the son of the president, but rather of an “uncle” — which the scholars think is a reference to Randolph Jefferson, the president’s brother, who would have been referred to as “uncle” by Jefferson’s daughters.

------------------------------------------

And btw, the admixture in White America is greatly exaggerated. My results here. I have a familial presence in N. America that dates to approx 1650.

~ WHITE LIVES MATTER ~ SilverKnight's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-27-2024 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Iberian & Sene-Gambian
    Ethnicity
    Dominican American
    Ancestry
    Northern Spain, Canarian, Andaluz, W. África & Taino (Amerind)
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Region
    Florida
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Congolid
    Politics
    Right-wing, ultra nationalism and anti-commie scum.
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Dad, R. Trujillo, Andrew Tate, Vladimir Putin & Donald J. Trump, Loki & ♥Lily
    Religion
    Baptist - Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,670
    Given: 9,047

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    If you're ignorant enough to take it on face value. There's no real evidence whatsoever, at all. Research has been done that debunks this on all levels.

I lost the original link I posted on another thread of this kind, but here's a summary:

New book disputes claim Jefferson fathered children of slave Hemings

The Heritage Society fought back with its own commission, which issued its report in 2001 disputing the conclusions. The 400-page book being released Thursday is the commission’s final product, complete with footnotes and references to rebut the other side’s claims.

Among their evidence:

• Claims that the relationship between Hemings and Jefferson started in Paris are unlikely because she was living with his daughters at their boarding school across the city at the time.

The “Jefferson family” DNA used in the 1998 test came from descendants of his uncle, which the scholars said means any one of two dozen Jefferson men living in Virginia at the time Eston was conceived could have been the father.

• The 1802 rumors centered on Thomas Woodson, who was said to have been one of Hemings‘ children. But tests of three Woodson descendants failed to show a link to Jefferson family DNA. Also, no documentation supports claims he was Hemings‘ child.

• Oral tradition from Eston Hemings’ family initially said he was not the son of the president, but rather of an “uncle” — which the scholars think is a reference to Randolph Jefferson, the president’s brother, who would have been referred to as “uncle” by Jefferson’s daughters.

------------------------------------------

And btw, the admixture in White America is greatly exaggerated. My results here. I have a familial presence in N. America that dates to approx 1650.

I never disputed this fact, rather that some Americans who are mixed claim to just being "white" and have no knowledge that they had some non-European ancestors in the past. Some of the "marks" are noticeable in some of them, in others non.

Well maybe not white-America as a whole, but in some population all around the country you'll have clusters of people who might seem 100% white but they aren't. For example in the south you have many white folks who claim to have some native american on them.
    Silverknight
    "..And the angle of the sun changed it all .."

Thread Information