Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do continental Europeans show such animosity towards colonials?

i'ma educated foo w/money on my mind Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Taxonomy
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 31

0 Not allowed!

Like others have said, I don't think what people say on these forums is representative of Europeans' views in real life. So many people on these "racial forums" have a demented view of the world and reality. Sure, there are plenty of anti-America Europeans, but the hate is usually geared toward American foreign policy and politics rather than American people. There are also stereotypes about Americans that are formed through TV and movies and interactions with obnoxious and naive American tourists, but overall in the real world the majority have, at the very worst, a neutral opinion about the American people. And when it comes to negative vs positive, I'd say positive definitely outweighs the negative.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish-Scot 1/8th Italian
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Master Morality/Prussianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Its just a typical superiority complex, which manifests itself when one is conscious of their own vast quantity and quality of traditions, cultures, and customs. Europe has a line of traditions, which is unrivaled, and they have built civilization as know it, not only as we act upon it today, but the highest forms of culture and civilization.

I think Europeans see America as a bastardized and cheapened form of European culture, and that Americans are fakes and phonies. That is they do not have any true or authentic understanding of what it means to be European and to abide by European traditions, customs, and cultural norms. A lot of America's traditional backdrop, although quite young, is very European in fundamental.

It just happens that America has broken and mutated themselves from the standard European traditions and spirit. This makes sense since most of the people coming to America were looking to get away from Europe, although they did transfer some of the culture and mentality. I think Europeans though see themselves as being much purer and unaltered, while Americans are mongrel and mixed mutts with little identity.

A people with no identity is a stagnant and idiotic people, but I don't think many Europeans understand that American, although young, has a legitimate collection of traditions and cultural norms. It just so happened that the course of human events evolved in America where the American identity kept slowly decaying and collapsing into a overtly consumerist and materialistic society.

You could start seeing this around the Gilded Age, which was an age where a huge collection of second wave immigrants were coming into the U.S. Things were becoming increasingly more commercialized and consumerized as the new immigrants were competing with each other in more industrialized and urbanized settings.

There was a need to keep up with the quick settings, and to make the most for the least and cheapest among of input into your product and supplies. There was also a need to keep a ton of customers happy, and to appeal to the masses, which could be seen in populist party.

There was a lot of desire for progressive and popular ideals to be advocated in political and cultural circles, which in large part has sped up into mutating itself through an overtly consumerist and materialistic society. I think the early Americans had a noble and good dream, but their intentions have taken some unexpected turns.

Though it can be said that many of the intentions that earlier Europeans has taken a sharp and drastic turn for the worse with all the multi-culturalism in place today. I think its basically comes down to the fact that Europeans see colonials as young, free spirited, and ignorant. The European is experienced, curbed in tradition/custom, and has a strong sense of cultural and ethnic self.

I think its the way an older child views a younger child or a adult views a teenager or how an older man views an adult. They both misunderstand the situation and perspective from which both sides come from, and thus most likely are going to garner shallow and superficial impressions of the concepts and notions of being in the others shoe.

I think that both sides have shallow and superficial impressions of each other's experience, but I think Europeans hold a slight advantage over Americans in terms of understanding culture in its proper context.

HunPrideWorldWide

0 Not allowed!

Europe is an organic continent which was shaped with thousands of years of history.
    America is a cheap, plastic, in-organic piece of filth. American's have no bond to their land unlike European's, whose soil is soaked with the blood of their European ancestors.

My dream world would be without Americans polluting the air. Even lowly Albanians are superior to Americans.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HunPrideWorldWide View Post
    Europe is an organic continent which was shaped with thousands of years of history.
    America is a cheap, plastic, in-organic piece of filth. American's have no bond to their land unlike European's, whose soil is soaked with the blood of their European ancestors.

My dream world would be without Americans polluting the air. Even lowly Albanians are superior to Americans.

This is true in part, and Americans put a greater emphasis on civil nationalism, which is a cheapened form of nationalism. The identity of a people is formed through the media, popular politics, and cash flows of money. There is not a lot of identity among Americans in relation to Europeans, and the little they have is quite petty and trivial.

Americans have no strong core of culture and tradition, but are more spread out and broken up, and this has to do with America's Calvinistic and Progressive Individualism. Also forms of Nationalism, which center on a more organic perspective of its people and identity tend to be in the Central and Eastern parts of Europe.

The French and British are never known for developing forms of nationalism which centered on an organic perspective of the Volkish consciousness. Their Volkish consciousness centered itself more on the political institutions, economic forces, and cultural/linguistic ties.

A lot of the ethnic/biological Nationalism was inspired by German Romantics, and then their ideals would scatter and spread throughout Eastern Europe.

That said Germany and a few parts of Scandinavia are the only areas that are known for strongly promoting an organic form of nationalism on a large scale. That is why Madison mentions Germany and parts of Denmark and Sweden for being the only people in the world with a strong race-consciousness in total. Eastern forms of Ethnic/Organic Nationalism were too scattered, broken, and lacking of a strong core that they feel apart quickly.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-23-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

0 Not allowed!

There is some legitimate criticism of the US, both in specifics and ideology. Most of the legitimate criticism centers around cultural export, but that has only really become a factor in the last forty years or so, and many anti-American Europeans don't object to this. Much of the criticism comes from a plebeian, little country syndrome, and a lot of these types dislike other Europeans too.

I do strongly agree though that one should not view European perceptions based on venues like this, as the far right is a small, and unusually virulent anti-American demographic. We kicked their asses in 1945, and they know it, and they'll never forgive us for it.

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HunPrideWorldWide View Post
    This is a good example of the misunderstanding that I see over and over again online. Unfortunately, the image of America that has been most pervasive abroad is the modern strip-mall, box-store, tightly packed subdivision verion of America. For some reason, our older values, visions and representatives have been lost in the Hollywood packaged shuffle.

There are many of us whose roots here are deep, whose ancestors faught on this soil (ever heard of the American Revolution and the American Civil War?) and who have great bonds to the land they live on or the region they are from.

There's no doubt that this is on the wane but never make the mistake again to claim that the notions you cited do not exist here--they do. Certainly we don't have the breadth of time that exists in Europe but for many of us, our earliest ancestors came here nearly 400 years ago. By 2030, or perhaps even a little earlier, some of my genetic material will have been here for four centuries. That's plenty of time for deep ties and bonds to be established.

Here's a photo of the house that the bearer of my surname built here in Colonial times, complete with a historic marker in the yard. The stone part on the left is the original house, the wooden part added 20 or so years later:

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McCarthy View Post
    There is some legitimate criticism of the US, both in specifics and ideology. Most of the legitimate criticism centers around cultural export, but that has only really become a factor in the last forty years or so, and many anti-American Europeans don't object to this. Much of the criticism comes from a plebeian, little country syndrome, and a lot of these types dislike other Europeans too.

I do strongly agree though that one should not view European perceptions based on venues like this, as the far right is a small, and unusually virulent anti-American demographic. We kicked their asses in 1945, and they know it, and they'll never forgive us for it.

I don't think they like the fact that America has infilitrated their system of culture and traditions post World War 2. These traditions and cultures have not been interfered with for thousands of years, and to finally interrupt them with the Marshall plan and putting military bases in Germany does not sit well. It still does not sit well in many current European minds, and the American invasion of Europe is seen as synonomous with the wave of immigrants that came flooding into Europe.

I think its only natural that their is an animosity towards Americans, but the ironic thing is they have become dependent on the Americans in an economic, political, and cultural sense since WW2 to some extent. I don't they like this thought of having such a proud and glorious culture and traditions to go along with it, and to have to be dependent on the younger and more free-spirited ignorance of Americans.

A lot of the political movements though derive themselves from Europe, which were important in shaping America. The progressive party for instance takes its roots in the liberal movements in Europe, and the Germans who fled here after the 1848 Revolutions/Frankfurt Parliament failed developed the progressive party.

I think they feel that they are being overlorded and dominated by a pushy, obnoxious, and clumsy ignoramus in America. They see themselves as unconsciously undermining, cheapening, and destroying European culture and traditions all in the name of freedom and progress.

They see a contradiction in this, and hate the superficial images and stereotypes Americans have of the European culture identity, which they see as lacking a poor understanding and being ignorant of Europe's vast history, traditions, and cultural importance.

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by European Loyalist View Post
    that member who spends his entire day posting here said that indonesia was more civilized than the colonial countries, among other similarly dense things It's either terrible trolling or unfathomable ignorance.

And yes IRL Europeans have been incredibly nice people. I know/meet Europeans (family friends, exchange students, immigrants etc.) all the time who are nothing but pleasant people and very complementary of Canada.
    Agreed. Most Europeans that I meet in my daily life here are very friendly and don't seem to harbor this strong anti-American sentiment that we experience here. I guess they're living here--that kind of attitude wouldn't serve them well here.

There are actually quite a few that have moved here permanently. In the small town I live in, there's an extensive Swiss family that moved here in the 70s, I know several Germans that live in this area now and lastly, there's a whole contingent of Brits I know that have made this part of New England their home. All of them seem to very much enjoy this region and this makes me smile.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    This is a good example of the misunderstanding that I see over and over again online. Unfortunately, the image of America that has been most pervasive abroad is the modern strip-mall, box-store, tightly packed subdivision verion of America. For some reason, our older values, visions and representatives have been lost in the Hollywood packaged shuffle.

There are many of us whose roots here are deep, whose ancestors faught on this soil (ever heard of the American Revolution and the American Civil War?) and who have great bonds to the land they live on or the region they are from.

There's no doubt that this is on the wane but never make the mistake again to claim that the notions you cited do not exist here--they do. Certainly we don't have the breadth of time that exists in Europe but for many of us, our earliest ancestors came here nearly 400 years ago. By 2030, or perhaps even a little earlier, some of my genetic material will have been here for four centuries. That's plenty of time for deep ties and bonds to be established.

Here's a photo of the house that the bearer of my surname built here in Colonial times, complete with a historic marker in the yard. The stone part on the left is the original house, the wooden part added 20 or so years later:

The Scottish/Ulster Scottish/Irish/English people who settled in communities in the Northeast formed in a sense an organic sense of self. A lot of the early WASP centers oriented themselves on a rather organic sense of self, but I think the a true form of organic nationalism is conservative in principle. A lot of the Central and Eastern European countries manifested this kind of nationalism, which has a tendency to radicalize and become aggressive and expansionist.

The WASP version of organic nationalism later on became caught up in civil/political matters and economic concerns. A lot of them have kept a good Puritan sensibility towards their community, and remain slightly xenophobic to people who don't belong to their family circles. This is something which is even evident in the South where there is this elitist clique mentality in place among the resident and local families, which have been there for a while.

There is a small and marginal version of a organic nationalism, but again its liberal in nature, and it does not permeate on as broad and far reaching of a scale as more Central European forms of organic nationalism. That is the liberal nature of the WASP or early American nationalism tended to divert any of its elitist xenophobic behavior and organic inverted communalism towards civil/political concerns and progressive economic policies. I know this is not that relevant to what you are talking about there, but I thought its interesting.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

I forgot to add our freedoms, specifically in speaking and publishing.
    We have such freedoms in Europe, in Britain it is so easy to publish a book that we publish more than any other country.

But that freedom also makes it possible for all sorts of agenda promoting retards to publish their own propaganda whether it be via books, newspapers or the internet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information