Turkey
    Y-DNA
    R-YP417
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,768
    Given: 5,721

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by majevica View Post
    The Crimean Tatars (Steppe) are actually closer to the Volga Tatars, Turkmens and Uzbeks than to the Anatolian Turks. And very Mongoloid, more so than Volga Tatars.
    Yes, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    don't they have significant south Euro (Balkan-Anatolian) substrate? Maybe you mean the Nogai in Crimean steppe. There are two types of Tatars there as far as I read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Turkic speaking people with both east Eurasian and slavic ancestry with probably something else, if i remember well
    Northern (Çöllü) Crimean Tatars are Nogais with a Crimean substrate, and compared to much more Slavic admixed Tatar groups such as Lipka, Kazan and Mishärs, their Slavic ancestry is minimal, albeit they still have it.
    Based on their dialects and genetics there are 3 types of Crimean Tatars. There are Çöllü(Northern), Ortayolak(Central) and Yalıboylu(Southern) Tatars.

Ortayolak/Tats are the majority of the Crimean Tatar population, and on a genetic level they are less East Eurasian than their fellow Northerners. Tats with the Yalıboylu are closest to the Anatolian Turks.

As a matter of fact I have 2 Crimean Tatar matches on my GEDmatch.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    I larp as a Celt
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn + Alpinid + Nordomediterranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,225
    Given: 12,972

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Demirkazık View Post
    Yes, that's right.

Northern (Çöllü) Crimean Tatars are Nogais with a Crimean substrate, and compared to much more Slavic admixed Tatar groups such as Lipka, Kazan and Mishärs, their Slavic ancestry is minimal, albeit they still have it.
    Based on their dialects and genetics there are 3 types of Crimean Tatars. There are Çöllü(Northern), Ortayolak(Central) and Yalıboylu(Southern) Tatars.

Ortayolak/Tats are the majority of the Crimean Tatar population, and on a genetic level they are less East Eurasian than their fellow Northerners. Tats with the Yalıboylu are closest to the Anatolian Turks.

As a matter of fact I have 2 Crimean Tatar matches on my GEDmatch.
    I really tought Tatars had an important Slavic admixture thank you for correcting this.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-07-2024 @ 04:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    R-YP417
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,768
    Given: 5,721

1 Not allowed!

I really tought Tatars had an important Slavic admixture thank you for correcting this.
    Tatars as a whole does indeed have varying degrees of Slavic admixture, but there are also ones that are virtually no Slavic at all, namely the Siberian Tatars.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    CM + Alpinid + Orientalid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 1,935

3 Not allowed!

You are referring to Lipka Tatars who have quite significant Balto-Slavic admixture. They originate in part from Kipchaks of the Crimea/Azov/Don region but are autosomally distinct from Crimean Tatars due to the heavy later admixture. That East Euro shift also makes them somewhat closer to Volga Tatars than the more Central Asian shifted Crimean Tatars are.

“ Two “best-guess” sources of admixture — Mongola-like (30%) and Hungarian-like (70%) – were inferred for BLT using the GLOBETROTTER algorithm (Supplementary Table 16; Supplementary Table 17 lists genetic clusters used in the analysis; Supplementary Fig. 15 provides examples of LD curves). Around 80% of the Hungarian-like source is composed of East Slavic, Armenian and Lithuanian/Latvian genetic groups. The Mongola-like source is represented largely by genetic groups from South Siberia and North China (namely, Mongola/Xibo, Han and Mongolian/Kalmyk groups) (Supplementary Table 16). Assuming a single episode of admixture between the two sources, this is dated to about 22 generations ago, which equates to the 13th century (12–14 centuries) assuming a generation time of 28 years (Supplementary Table 16).”
    https://www.nature.com/articles/srep30197

This PCA graph is useful as it contains both Crimean and Lipka Tatars:
    Last edited by Melkiirs; 12-28-2023 at 04:00 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information