Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,564
    Given: 29,023

5 Not allowed!

Default Multiple migrations to the Philippines during the last 50,000 years

This was a study done in 2021 but wasn't posted here. The reason I was interested in this was because a lot of Filipino dna youtube videos have been popping up on my feed. I'm interested to see what people get on these tests. Anyway all of them say how they have a Spanish Great Grandparent and then are really disappointed when they get no Spanish in their results. It is something that happens with all Filipinos and it reminds me of Americans who think they have Native American and are confused when results indicate they have none. Anyway this study indicates that Spanish is virtually absent in the Philippines so people might be interested in this study.

Multiple migrations to the Philippines during the last 50,000 years

Abstract
    Island Southeast Asia has recently produced several surprises regarding human history, but the region’s complex demography remains poorly understood. Here, we report ∼2.3 million genotypes from 1,028 individuals representing 115 indigenous Philippine populations and genome-sequence data from two ∼8,000-y-old individuals from Liangdao in the Taiwan Strait. We show that the Philippine islands were populated by at least five waves of human migration: initially by Northern and Southern Negritos (distantly related to Australian and Papuan groups), followed by Manobo, Sama, Papuan, and Cordilleran-related populations. The ancestors of Cordillerans diverged from indigenous peoples of Taiwan at least ∼8,000 y ago, prior to the arrival of paddy field rice agriculture in the Philippines ∼2,500 y ago, where some of their descendants remain to be the least admixed East Asian groups carrying an ancestry shared by all Austronesian-speaking populations. These observations contradict an exclusive “out-of-Taiwan” model of farming–language–people dispersal within the last four millennia for the Philippines and Island Southeast Asia. Sama-related ethnic groups of southwestern Philippines additionally experienced some minimal South Asian gene flow starting ∼1,000 y ago. Lastly, only a few lowlanders, accounting for <1% of all individuals, presented a low level of West Eurasian admixture, indicating a limited genetic legacy of Spanish colonization in the Philippines. Altogether, our findings reveal a multilayered history of the Philippines, which served as a crucial gateway for the movement of people that ultimately changed the genetic landscape of the Asia-Pacific region.
    The Philippines was a Spanish Colony for 333 y from 1565 until 1898. However, we only observe significant population-level signals of European admixture in some urbanized lowlanders, Bicolanos, and Spanish Creole-speaking Chavacanos (SI Appendix, Table S7Y). Some individuals from Bolinao, Cebuano, Ibaloi, Itabayaten, Ilocano, Ivatan, Kapampangan, Pangasinan, and Yogad groups also presented low levels of European admixture (SI Appendix, Table S7Y). This admixture is estimated to have taken place 100 to 450 y ago, which falls within the Spanish Colonial Period (SI Appendix, Table S7Z). In contrast to several other Spanish-colonized regions, Philippine demography appears to have remained largely unaffected by admixture with Europeans.
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2026132118

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This is from the Supplementary section.

6.7 Detection of West Eurasian gene flow dated to the Spanish colonial period
    The Philippines was a colony of Spain from 1565 until 1898, and subsequently under
    American rule from 1901 until 1946. In contrast to the Philippines, the genetic legacy
    of the Colonial Period in the Americas is readily apparent today through the detectable
    high West Eurasian ancestry among the majority of lowland and/or urbanized
    populations of Latin America (88, 89). In the Philippine context, however, admixture
    between Spanish and local indigenous populations is largely limited (Figs. S2B-D &
    Tables S2-4), and can only be detected at a population level, using the test
    D(Mbuti,CEU,Balangao,X), among Bicolano and Creole-speaking Chavacano ethnic
    groups (Table S7Y)
    . The signal is likely driven by 4 out of 10 individuals tested among
    Chavacanos, and 1-2 individuals with high levels of West Eurasian ancestry out of 10
    tested among Bicolanos. If the threshold of significance is set at Z > 3, the presence
    of West Eurasian ancestry was also detected in random individuals (n = 4) among
    Yogad, Ibaloi, Kapampangan, and Pangasinan populations. If the threshold of
    significance is stretched to Z > 2, the signal can also be detected in some indviduals
    from Bolinao, Cebuano, Ibaloi, Itabayaten, Ilocano, Ivatan, Kapampangan,
    Pangasinan, and Yogad populations. All of these aforementioned ethnic groups
    predominantly reside in lowland and/or urbanized areas (Table S7Y). No West
    Eurasian ancestry was detected among Negrito, Manobo, and almost all highland
    ethnic groups. The West Eurasian genetic signal detected among Sama-related ethnic
    groups can be attributed to South Asian (Ancestral North Indian with high West
    Eurasian ancestry) gene flow into these populations. Using Malder (Table S7Z), we
    were able to detect a single admixture event characterized as West Eurasian plus
    Cordilleran-related, 239 +/- 54 years BP in Bicolano, 156 +/- 36 years BP in
    Chavacano, 424 +/- 90 years BP in Cuyonon, 161 +/- 42 years BP in Itawis, 429 +/-
    109 years BP in Tagalog, and 178 +/- 28 in Yogad, all of which fall within the period of
    Spanish Colonization (Table S7Z). The mean estimates for Kapampangan (548 +/-
    153 years BP) and Hiligaynon (507 +/- 150 years BP) were older than the initial arrival
    of Spanish colonialists into the Philippines, but have wide confidence intervals where
    the lower limits still fall within the Spanish Colonial Period (392 and 357 years BP,
    respectively).

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I've looked at numerous videos of dna tests of all different people but quite a few Filipinos pop up. Most of them are from the US. I'll add a couple I've just looked at.

These are a couple of Ancestry ones. They are older but still show no Spanish.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

3 Not allowed!

The Spanish / European ancestry In the Philippines Is very minimum and one of the reasons or main reasons it's because there were no population displacement like In Latin America. You will never hear us In real life bragging about being part Spanish like they do, while 90% of mexicans have actual Spanish great great grandparents from both sides.
    Last edited by Laredo; 12-29-2023 at 02:47 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    The Spanish / European ancestry In the Philippines Is very minimum and one of the reasons or main reasons it's because there were no population displacement like In Latin America. You will never hear us In real life bragging about being part Spanish like they do, while 90% of mexicans have actual Spanish great great grandparents from both sides.
    From looking at the youtube videos they are told by their families that they have Spanish in their background. I don't completely understand why it is so universal for Filipinos to think they all have some Spanish ancestry? Is it because they carry Spanish surnames? Anyway I would think when they go to school there would be some history lessons explaining that Filipinos acquired their Spanish surnames and also that most do not has Spanish ancestry.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    From looking at the youtube videos they are told by their families that they have Spanish in their background. I don't completely understand why it is so universal for Filipinos to think they all have some Spanish ancestry? Is it because they carry Spanish surnames? Anyway I would think when they go to school there would be some history lessons explaining that Filipinos acquired their Spanish surnames and also that most do not has Spanish ancestry.
    The Spanish surnames In the Philippines it's similar case of how slaves adopted the surnames of their masters, not because they have actual ancestry (some do) but it's not the ordinary case. The Philippines was Mexico during the Spanish empire In reality the minor Spanish drop blood comes from us since they also seem to score amerindian rather than actual Spaniards settlement.

Another factor Is Spaniards brought the Caste system where Spaniard features were seen as superior more beautiful over indigenous and black etc thus is why our socities are so fucked up because of the OWD lol.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    The Spanish surnames In the Philippines it's similar case of how slaves adopted the surnames of their masters, not because they have actual ancestry (some do) but it's not the ordinary case. The Philippines was Mexico during the Spanish empire In reality the minor Spanish drop blood comes from us since they also seem to score amerindian rather than actual Spaniards settlement.

Another factor Is Spaniards brought the Caste system where Spaniard features were seen as superior more beautiful over indigenous and black etc thus is why our socities are so fucked up because of the OWD lol.
    If you look at videos of African-Americans a lot are not happy to have European ancestry and say it is from rape. This is not always the case with them but most claim it is from slavery. Caribbean ones I've seen don't appear to have such antagonism to European ancestry. Some Jamaicans I've seen have very low European and some have none at all.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    If you look at videos of African-Americans a lot are not happy to have European ancestry and say it is from rape. This is not always the case with them but most claim it is from slavery. Caribbean ones I've seen don't appear to have such antagonism to European ancestry. Some Jamaicans I've seen have very low European and some have none at all.
    Videos are anecdotal but I think the English ancestry in African-Americans is very underreported considering some estimates say it makes up to 24% on average in admixture.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Videos are anecdotal but I think the English ancestry in African-Americans is very underreported considering some estimates say it makes up to 24% on average in admixture.
    I've seen quite a few and they don't seem as antagonistic to Irish ancestry and some think they have Irish ancestry but the majority I've seen looks English to me. Historically Irish came later when slavery was abolished so not many Irish slave masters out there. I know there was some Irish that came prefamine but the bulk of people coming from Ireland at that time were not actually Irish but Scots-Irish. Anyway I know you would be aware of this but just stating for others.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up