E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I've seen quite a few and they don't seem as antagonistic to Irish ancestry and some think they have Irish ancestry but the majority I've seen looks English to me. Historically Irish came later when slavery was abolished so not many Irish slave masters out there. I know there was some Irish that came prefamine but the bulk of people coming from Ireland at that time were not actually Irish but Scots-Irish. Anyway I know you would be aware of this but just stating for others.
    Irish Catholics partly avoided slave ownership from immigrating to American too late, as you said, and also settling in more urban regions. It took a lot of money to be a slave owner and it was a fairly elite position even among Protestant Americans. To the degree that Irish Americans did farming, it was mostly ranching without slave labor. We even had an Irish Catholic cattle ranching community near where I grew up that dates back to the 1870s and the Catholic church they built is the oldest in the county.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,566
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Irish Catholics partly avoided slave ownership from immigrating to American too late, as you said, and also settling in more urban regions. It took a lot of money to be a slave owner and it was a fairly elite position even among Protestant Americans. To the degree that Irish Americans did farming, it was mostly ranching without slave labor. We even had an Irish Catholic cattle ranching community near where I grew up that dates back to the 1870s and the Catholic church they built is the oldest in the county.
    Also most dna relatives I have are on the East coast i.e. New York and Philadelphia and then Chicago all urban areas. I know places like Savannah claim to have high Irish descent and I'm sure that's true and Irish did also go to New Orleans.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Also most dna relatives I have are on the East coast i.e. New York and Philadelphia and then Chicago all urban areas. I know places like Savannah claim to have high Irish descent and I'm sure that's true and Irish did also go to New Orleans.
    Yup, my sister and everyone on my mom's side had the East Coast migration group on AncestryDNA except for me . I guess I'm a North Carolina Blue Ridge country boy according to ancestry.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This is an Indonesian dna result. It is interesting with the amount from the Philippines but they are fairly close geographically so not too shocking it also could be shared Austronesian ancestry. It could also be that they don't have enough reference panels for these populations so could change on updates.

I wish people would skip showing what's in the kit and physically doing their test. There's no need for that.

Another Indonesian result

This one is interesting as the man is Dutch. Honestly I'd never expect that look in a Dutch person. I would have thought he was Dutch Indonesian but no he is fully Dutch. The 1.1 Greek & Balkan is just MyHeritage's faulty algorithm. True to form MyHeritage giving out false trace regions i.e. a tiny Baltic for the Indonesian girlfriend.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Some other results from Filipinos.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    The Spanish / European ancestry In the Philippines Is very minimum and one of the reasons or main reasons it's because there were no population displacement like In Latin America. You will never hear us In real life bragging about being part Spanish like they do, while 90% of mexicans have actual Spanish great great grandparents from both sides.
    that reminds me of northeast Romanians and their Russophobia (they consider Ukrainians to be Russians): friend of mine with Ukrainian last name tested as Ukrainian as me (half) and still denies any East Slavic involvement into Romanian genetics. actually advances the opposite. the same, most people I encounter and tell them they have a Ukrainian last name are almost offended and some even admit that their grandparents used to speak among themselves some sort of Russian or "another language" but they don't do the math to what that means so there is a lot of direct and recent East Slavic ancestry in northeast Romania (observed that to some with Russian Lipovan origin as well and very strongly with people of Csango Hungarian obvious background) and people run away from it as Mexicans run away from Spanish ancestry

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

0 Not allowed!

Didn't the Spaniards (and Americans afterwards) run the Philippines much like the British and French ran most of their Asian and African colonies, i.e. basically as absentee landlords with a few administrators and soldiers here and there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information