European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,532
    Given: 24,991

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandenburgGaming View Post
    i got 36%, but i dont get how or why, 2% of those are from one side, the rest is from the other one. I just assumed the one with the high EE is my fathers side and they misread it as EE cause there might be some bohemian. I also got 5% baltic from presumably my mothers side and 1% baltic from also presumably my fathers side
    You can actually get a good gauge on how well your genome was phased (parentally) by looking at your matches.

Questions:

How many matches do you have total?
    Do you have aunts, uncles, grandparents, 1st and 2nd cousins tested?
    Are relatives assigned to the correct sides, as far as you can tell?
    Do you have a large proportion of unassigned matches?

As an example, out of my 6,250 matches I have about 185 unassigned, all of those are very distant with 160 of them being 12 cM - 8 cM. All of my relatives are situated to the proper sides, from as far as I can tell. For me I think that's a reasonably good result. The algorithm had no problem separating my parental sides for ethnicity. All that said, I have occasionally seen where people actually have more unassigned matches than assigned matches, or a very low total number of matches on one side of the family, things like that. Also endogamy can make it very tricky for the phasing tool (SideView) to work well (although that should not be a factor in your case).

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Märkisch
    Ethnicity
    eastern german
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Brandenburg
    Politics
    Schabernack
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 84

1 Not allowed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (74).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	127081 (this is from before the update) The problem is ive deleted my data on ancestry a bit after the update, so i gotta go off of memory or some screenshots (the results got worse post update, the high scandinavia one got almost as british with england wales and scotland as german)

i had about 4k matches
    no one else i know tested on ancestry
    i had one match that should be related to my mothers side being unrelated, same last name, western slovakia as a category and all of that, so no
    of all those matches i had about 200 assigned ones. Of those were 40 for the high EE one. No idea about the cm stuff anymore sadly

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (74).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	127081 (this is from before the update) The problem is ive deleted my data on ancestry a bit after the update, so i gotta go off of memory or some screenshots (the results got worse post update, the high scandinavia one got almost as british with england wales and scotland as german)

i had about 4k matches
    no one else i know tested on ancestry
    i had one match that should be related to my mothers side being unrelated, same last name, western slovakia as a category and all of that, so no
    of all those matches i had about 200 assigned ones. Of those were 40 for the high EE one. No idea about the cm stuff anymore sadly
    So you have the potential problem of a relatively low number of matches and also a lack of close relatives tested. The SideView phasing technology relies on either a high number of total matches, or a number of somewhat close matches, and preferably both of those things, for high quality phasing. As an example my uncle, multiple first cousins, and a plethora of 2nd cousins have tested.

However, if I understood rothaer's comment correctly, it could be that your parent 1 really does have low Slavic, and higher Germanic.:

Brandenburg itself has shown to be pretty diverse form close to fully Slavic close to the the Sorb area till almost fully Germaic in the Priegnitz (NW Brandenburg) area.
    And of course it's not really recent Sweden & Denmark ancestry that you have, these are simply Northern German dna segments being read this way - these same dna segments are shared by people in the Sweden & Denmark cluster.

However, I'll reiterate again that Sweden & Denmark is totally normal for East German's to score, and in solid amounts. Rothaer would know even better than me about this as he has seen many, many East German AncestryDNA results, not the least of which is like 10 of his own family members

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Märkisch
    Ethnicity
    eastern german
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Brandenburg
    Politics
    Schabernack
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Interesting, my ancestry from Brandenburg is entirely from the west but more central, so maybe the profile is still kinda similar. Another thing i should mention is that ive uploaded my raw data to some more websites, each time giving me completely different results.

dnagenics gave me no EE at all, but about 90% german, some norwegian and like 1% basque
    tellmegen gave me about 80% german, 18% EE (poland/ hungary) and something completely unrelated for the rest
    myheritage and ftdna seemingly couldnt comprehend it one bit, not even giving me german but english and scandinavian
    livingdna however gave me about 60% north-east german, 15% north-west german and the rest west balkan

all of this being the reason why i did illustrative dna in the first place, cause all these services gave me completely different results, which is why i never paid too much attention to ancestryDNA itself (and part of the reason why i deleted it) in no way would i be surprised if they were right though, maybe bohemians in nowawes were just assimilated when it comes to language, they could have still been pure czechs and thats where the EE was from but i dont know. Ive probably gotta wait a few more years to let the technology evolve some more

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Interesting, my ancestry from Brandenburg is entirely from the west but more central, so maybe the profile is still kinda similar. Another thing i should mention is that ive uploaded my raw data to some more websites, each time giving me completely different results.

dnagenics gave me no EE at all, but about 90% german, some norwegian and like 1% basque
    tellmegen gave me about 80% german, 18% EE (poland/ hungary) and something completely unrelated for the rest
    myheritage and ftdna seemingly couldnt comprehend it one bit, not even giving me german but english and scandinavian
    livingdna however gave me about 60% north-east german, 15% north-west german and the rest west balkan

all of this being the reason why i did illustrative dna in the first place, cause all these services gave me completely different results, which is why i never paid too much attention to ancestryDNA itself (and part of the reason why i deleted it) in no way would i be surprised if they were right though, maybe bohemians in nowawes were just assimilated when it comes to language, they could have still been pure czechs and thats where the EE was from but i dont know. Ive probably gotta wait a few more years to let the technology evolve some more
    Of the commercial tests, I would only trust EE % from Ancestry and 23andMe. Those seem stable and reliable in their EE assignment. Now, the regions EE&R/EE are not purely Slaivic (i.e. proto-Slavic), they are based on modern groups, I suspect Poles/Ukrainians/Russians as they are the ones who most often score 100% of it. So, because it is based on moderns, some Southern and Western is mixed in that EE reference. That said, it is clear that there is no direct reference for East Germans on Ancestry or 23andMe. So it's giving you what is essentially a little deeper breakdown of your ancestry. LivingDNA has a East German reference, so your Slavic can be found in there.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

And btw the small bit of E&NWE that you score on AncestryDNA would just be representing old Celtic/Germanic segments in your case, as of course you have no recent ancestry from England.

23andMe does a little better job isolating their British & Irish category, I don't think you'd score any of that. However 23andMe has a Broadly Northwestern European category, and you may very well score some of that. As you become familiar with seeing many results from AncestryDNA/23andMe, the patterns become clear.

East German would be one of my first guesses just seeing your AncestryDNA result. Especially if given the information first that you were not recently mixed, that your family was for the most part from one region.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Märkisch
    Ethnicity
    eastern german
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Brandenburg
    Politics
    Schabernack
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

thanks for clarifying, ive kind of had a different idea of the EE in my head i suppose. The few results from around here that ive seen would often get like like 10-20%, however i believe that these were also form Mecklenburg Vorpommern and Brandenburg (which could easily include the NW part) having checked on some other results now, and seeing some from saxony scoring close to 50%, it makes more sense. I mean its quite close to the calculator that Rothaer and Scarface have used. Still if anything i wouldve thought that my grandmother on my fathers side would kinda balance out a potential czech background from my grandpa cause shes born further west, but thats all just assuming, it could come from her even after all. Seems like it had fit better than i thought. If they ever do a big Germany update or their tech gets better at detecting Regions (i didnt say this yet, one region i got assigned was SW germany, with rather low confidence but still i know of no ancestor from there) i might buy a kit again

Last Online
    02-29-2024 @ 10:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 372

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    However, Franconians score significantly Slavic, say roughly 25%,
    Why? This was hardly an area with a significant West Slavic (or any other) population.
    ej bi si di i ef dżi ejdż aj dżej kej el em en oł pi kju a es ti ju wi dablju eks łaj zet

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,433
    Given: 6,775

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneton View Post
    Why? This was hardly an area with a significant West Slavic (or any other) population.
    It was:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Slavica

(In English with notably less information:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria_Slavica)
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information