"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 03:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    sub-brachycephalic+Atlanto-Mediterranean+Caucasus-Alpine
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,458
    Given: 1,641

3 Not allowed!

Default Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) gene mutations

Since its biochemical characterisation in 19911 and its genetic identification in 1995,2 677C>T allele (T allele) of the 5,10 methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) gene has been a focus of increasing interest from researchers world wide. The expanding spectrum of common conditions linked with the 677C>T allele now includes certain adverse birth outcomes (including birth defects), pregnancy complications, cancers, adult cardiovascular diseases, and psychiatric disorders

Mutations in the MTHFR gene can affect the body’s ability to process amino acids — namely, homocysteine — which can lead to some adverse health outcomes.

Conditions that researchers have associated with MTHFR gene mutations include:

homocysteinemia, which is the term for abnormally high levels of homocysteine in the blood or urine
    ataxia, which is a neurological condition that affects coordination
    peripheral neuropathy, which is a neurological condition that damages the nerves
    microcephaly, which is a condition present at birth in which the head is smaller than usual
    scoliosis, which refers to an abnormal curvature of the spine
    anemia, which means that there is a lack of healthy red blood cells in the body
    cardiovascular diseases, such as blood clots, stroke, and heart attack
    mental health conditions, such as depression
    behavior disorders, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
    ovarian cancer
    breast cancer
    skeleton abnormalities, Anencephaly, one of several neural tube defects associated with the MTHFR mutation, in which large parts of the brain are missing and/or a person is missing or has incomplete skull bones
    eye problems
    Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
    Alzheimer's disease
    Microalbuminuria (increased albumin in urine associated with kidney and heart disease)
    Alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system attacks hair follicle roots, causing hair loss
    Spina bifida, a birth defect in which the bones of the spinal column do not close completely around the nerves of the spinal cord
    Preeclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy)
    Behavior problems (e.g., attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity)
    Digestive issues , including IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
    Autoimmune disease and thyroid issues
    Schizophrenia

The distribution of the allele showed marked ethnic and geographical variation The homozygous TT genotype was particularly common in northern China (20%), southern Italy (26%), and Mexico (32%). There was also some evidence for geographical gradients in Europe (north to south increase) and China (north to south decrease). The TT genotype frequency was low among newborns of African ancestry, intermediate among newborns of European origin, and high among newborns of American Hispanic ancestry. Areas at the extremes of the frequency distribution showed deviations from Hardy-Weinberg expectations (Helsinki, Finland, southern Italy, and southern China)

data on 7130 newborns from 16 areas in the Americas, Europe, Russia, China, and Australia. Amplification rates for blood spots by geographical source were the following: Italy, Sicily 89%, Italy, Campania 76%, Italy, Veneto 73%, Spain 69%, France, Strasbourg 78%, Finland, Helsinki 95%, Hungary 95%; Russia, Moscow 95%, Australia, New South Wales 79%, Canada, Alberta 77%, USA, Atlanta 96%. By comparison, a large Irish population based study using newborn blood spots successfully genotyped 85% of collected samples

Prevalence of homozygous TT genotype (two 677C>T alleles) among newborns by area and ethnic background, ICBDMS 2003.

The distribution of the 677C>T allele showed regional and ethnic variations. For example, the prevalence of the homozygous TT genotype was 10–12% in several areas in Europe (for example, Spain, France, and Hungary). However, the prevalence appeared to be lower (4% and 6%, respectively) in Finland, Helsinki and the northern Netherlands, whereas in some areas in southern Europe it was much higher (26% and 20% in Campania and Sicily, respectively). In the Americas, the frequency of the homozygous TT genotype was higher in Mexico (32%), intermediate in Atlanta (11% among whites), and somewhat lower in Alberta (6%). In Australia, TT prevalence was 7.5% among whites.

Genotype varied by ethnicity as well as by geographical location. For example, TT homozygosity was more common among newborns from Mexico or those born in Atlanta of Hispanic origin, intermediate among newborns of European ancestry (for example, in Europe and North America), and lower among newborns of African ancestry (for example, in Atlanta and Veneto, Italy). However, a range of genotype frequencies was evident even within broad ethnic groups. For example, TT homozygosity among whites ranged from as low as 6% in Alberta (Canada), to 7.5% in New South Wales (Australia), to 11% in Atlanta (USA), to the high values already noted for Italy. For other ethnic and racial groups, such estimates are more unstable because of the smaller number of specimens, but it is worth noting an apparently low frequency of TT homozygosity among newborns of Asian origin from Australia and Atlanta.

The several fold variation in the prevalence of the TT homozygous genotype across the study areas (fig 1) was also consistent, in some areas, with the presence of geographical gradients. In Europe, for example, the prevalence of the TT genotype increased in a roughly southerly direction, from low values in the north (4–7% in Finland, Helsinki, northern Netherlands, and Russia), to intermediate values (8–10%) in France and Hungary, to higher values in southern Europe (12–15% in Spain and northern Italy), peaking in southern Italy (20–26% in Campania and Sicily). In North America, the frequency of TT homozygotes increased from western Canada (Alberta) to south eastern United States (Atlanta) and peaked in Mexico.

Ethnic variation was apparent among and within geographical areas. In metropolitan Atlanta, for example, TT homozygosity was common among newborns of Hispanic origin (15%), intermediate among those of European origin (11%), and low among African-American newborns (3%). These data are consistent with the high prevalence of TT homozygosity among newborns from Mexico in this study and with published data from the population based sample of babies of Mexican ancestry from California.14 The low prevalence among US blacks is similar to that reported in pooled estimates of five studies on US blacks and three studies from sub-Saharan Africa3 as well as in later studies from South Africa and Zimbabwe.15,16 The intermediate prevalence among whites in Atlanta is consistent with similar rates observed in several European areas in this and several other studies.3

The high frequency of TT homozygotes observed in this study among newborns from Mexico, northern China, and southern Italy was notable. These findings confirm and extend those previously reported from Mexico19 and southern Italy.20 Why such high rates of TT homozygosity occur in these regions is unclear, given the apparently limited ethnic, genetic, or environmental commonalities among such areas. Researchers have suggested the possibility of heterozygote advantage with respect to the risk for neural tube defects.21 However, such a hypothesis remains unconfirmed. Nevertheless, further exploration of gene-gene and gene-environment interaction might help to identify the evolutionary pressures favoring a high prevalence of this gene variant in certain areas and ethnic groups.

The impact of such geographical and ethnic variation on the distribution of disease in the population is unclear. For example, one would predict high rates of neural tube defects, whose risk appears to be increased nearly two-fold in the presence of 677C>T homozygosity3 in those geographical areas or ethnic groups with a high frequency of this genotype. The evidence supporting such relations is mixed. For example, the data are consistent for Mexico and northern China, which not only have a very high frequency of the TT genotype but also high rates of neural tube defect.22,23 Furthermore, within China, rates of neural tube defect are higher in the north (where the TT homozygous genotype is more common) than in the south.23 In the United States, the rates of neural tube defects historically have been higher among Hispanics, intermediate among non-Hispanic whites, and lower among African-Americans, a trend that follows the relative frequency of the TT homozygous genotype.

There are, however, notable exceptions. In southern Italy, for example, the TT genotype is common, but the rate of neural tube defects is not particularly high.22 Nevertheless, such exceptions are not entirely unexpected, because environmental and nutritional factors are likely to modulate considerably the genetic risk for neural tube defects. In fact, these exceptions might prove particularly valuable when investigating the aetiological heterogeneity and the role of interactions in the occurrence of neural tube defects.
    Yfull [B]ID: YF83218 admix -> https://i.ibb.co/NjwQTz6/myherit1.png
    G25 Distance: 1.0778%
    86.2 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2
    5.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940 1.4 ITA_Daunian
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H
    3.6 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA:VK464

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Salkhit 625SNP, Otzi 803SNP, Mik15 798SNP, RISE493 1335SNP, I11456 1024SNP, I7718 980SNP, I9041 512S
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

23andme has some outdated articles. The COVID spread among Latinos, Italians, Spanish etc.. was largely fueled by such health conditions according to many papers.
    "The frequency of MTHFR C677 T allele in the Latino population (50%) was higher than that reported for most of the other populations in the world, similarly coronavirus death correlation with the frequency of this allele in most of the different populations was lower (Finnish, African sub‐Saharan, etc.). Correlation analysis showed a relatively strong correlation between C677 T and death coronavirus with 85%, p=0.03.

The comparison of the prevalence of homozygous MTHFR‐677 mutation and the incidence and mortality by COVID‐19 showed a high degree of correlation, especially regarding South‐North and East‐West gradients, as well as for Americans, Europeans, and Asians populations. This data could be traced back to ancestral migratory phenomena related to population genetic or to a reduced dietary intake of B9 (folic acid) and other B‐vitamins that could characterize different dietary regimens among different cultures"

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8209953/
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Check your genetic data for rs1801133 (23andMe v4, v5; AncestryDNA):

G/G: typical *
    A/G: one copy of MTHFR C677T allele, enzyme function decreased by 40%
    A/A: two copies of MTHFR C677T, enzyme function decreased by 70 – 80%

Check your genetic data for rs1801131 (23andMe v4, v5; AncestryDNA):

The MTHFR C677T variant is considered a single nucleotide polymorphism – a SNP. One nucleotide base pair (the As, Cs, Gs, and Ts) is different for part of the population.

T/T: typical *
    G/T: one copy of MTHFR A1298C (heterozygous), slightly decreased enzyme function
    G/G: two copies of MTHFR A1298C (homozygous), decreased enzyme by about 20%

By genetic definitions, MTHFR C677T and A1298C are NOT mutations. Both are common variants, or SNPs. Both polymorphisms are found in about half the population.

Conditions linked to the MTHFR C677T or A1298C variants
    While these variants are common, they do impact health and wellness — especially for people who don’t eat a lot of foods high in folates, such as dark leafy greens or beef liver.

The MTHFR gene is one of the most well-researched genes, with over 6,000 studies investigating the common C677T variant.

Studies show that the C667T and A1298C variants increase the risk of numerous health conditions:

high homocysteine levels, stroke risk, and heart disease[ref][ref][ref]
    neural tube defects (spina bifida) and cleft lip[ref]
    stroke[ref][ref]
    preeclampsia and hypertension in pregnancy[ref][ref]
    miscarriage[ref][ref]
    depression or anxiety[ref][ref][ref][ref][ref]
    rare problems with nitrous oxide – very uncommon, affects B12 levels[ref] (most have no problems with laughing gas

Additional variants

Check your genetic data for rs2274976 G1793A or R594Q (23andMe v4, v5; AncestryDNA):

T/T: associated with cleft lip[ref], neural tube defect[ref], higher homocysteine, and folate deficiency[ref], increased risk of schizophrenia in children[ref][ref], cognitive issues possible for seniors with this genotype in conjunction with low vitamin B12[ref], risk of lower bone mineral density if B12 is also low[ref]
    C/T: somewhat increased risk of schizophrenia, cognitive issues possible for seniors with this genotype in conjunction with low vitamin B12[ref]
    C/C: typical

Check your genetic data for rs9651118 (23andMe v4; AncestryDNA):

T/T: most common genotype
    C/T: decreased risk of liver cancer[ref], slower cognitive decline in the elderly[ref], lower homocysteine, type 2 diabetes (compared to T/T)[ref][ref]
    C/C: decreased risk of lung cancer[ref], lower homocysteine, type 2 diabetes (compared to T/T)[ref][ref]
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Fiji
    Y-DNA
    R1A
    mtDNA
    U4
    Taxonomy
    Big headed white man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,503
    Given: 7,005

2 Not allowed!

rs1801133 A/G
    rs1801131 T/T
    rs2274976 C/C
    rs9651118 C/T

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    H-M82 Z5890+Z34522+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a3*
    Taxonomy
    Hero
    James Bond
    Religion
    Hindu
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

C677T: About 30 to 40 percent of the American population may have a mutation at gene position C677T. Roughly 25 percent of people of Hispanic descent and 10 to 15 percent of Caucasian descent are homozygous for this variant.
    A1298C: There’s limited research regarding this variant. However, a 2015 study Trusted Source found that A1298C is found in 7 to 14 percent in North American, European, and Australian populations. In comparison, the variant is far less common in Hispanic and Asian populations.

rs1801133 G/G no C677T, main variant, safe here
    rs1801131 G/T partial A1298C, slightly decreased enzyme function maybe around 10%
    rs2274976 C/T somewhat increased risk of schizophrenia, cognitive issues possible for seniors with this genotype in conjunction with low vitamin B12
    I take B12 supplements and feel better
    rs9651118 C/T decreased risk of liver cancer, slower cognitive decline in the elderly, lower homocysteine, type 2 diabetes (compared to T/T)
    I take metaformin and Type 2 diabetes
    3.6 PAK_Saidu_Sharif_H

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 11:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    turkÏc
    Country