City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,193
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Default Orthodox Great Lent around the world

I will try to fast as much and as correct as possible, i also think this is a good time to lose some weight... would be a good side effect and to prepare spiritually for easter

https://www.officeholidays.com/holid.../orthodox-lent

Great Lent marks the start of the Easter cycle in the Orthodox Christian Church

When is Great Lent?
    Great Lent corresponds to Lent as found in Western Christianity, though the length of the periods are calculated in different ways.

They both use a period of 40 days between the beginning and end of Lent, because of the 40 days that Jesus is said to have spent fasting the desert. However, Western Christendom doesn't count Sundays because Jesus is recorded as having resurrected on a Sunday, whereas Eastern Orthodox churches do count Sundays.

The word "lent" is derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'lencten' which literally means "spring". 'Lencten' has a root in the Germanic word for long, which assigned itself to Spring as the days become longer.

In several countries, lent marks the start of spring. For example, in Greece, Clean Monday (Ash Monday) is taken to be the first day of spring.

In Greece and Cyprus, Lent is known as Saracosti, which comes from the word forty, which is the forty day period until Palm Sunday and then one more week until Easter Day making a total of 49 days of "fasting". The fasting is done so that the body and spirit are "cleansed" to prepare for accepting the Resurrection.

During Saracosti, no meat or dairy foods are eaten. Instead, Lenten food usually consists of plenty of olives, taramasalata, Halva, vegetables, legumes and seafood, such as calamari, octopus, shrimps, oysters, cuttlefish, mussels, lobsters etc. Fish is not allowed with the exception on two days: on the 25th of March (Annunciation of the Virgin Mary) and on Palm Sunday.

Key Dates in Great Lent
    The Orthodox Easter period influences a range of festivals and events. The following is an overview of the events. Click the name of a holiday to read more about an individual event.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Hoodrat Latina (Vlach Descendant)
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Transethnic (Czech to Mexican)
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    PAWG
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 277

1 Not allowed!

And right now it is cheese week.

I find it funny how every year, all year, I do not have any craving for meat. Until there is a fasting period in the Church. Then all of the sudden, grilled chicken sounds great.

I am a part of an Orthodox minority in my country so most of what we eat in my family during this time of year is Balkan in origin, since there are many more Lenten food ideas coming from that part of Europe due to how many more people fast there.
    It's Modelo Negra time

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    3:28
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,920
    Given: 1,564

0 Not allowed!

The original fasting method of the first Christians was a dry fast (no water/food) from sunset to sundown (similar to how Muslims do it), then breaking the fast with vegetarian food + seafood.

Thread Information